Author Topic: Adoption 1800's  (Read 7679 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption 1800's
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 July 14 22:39 BST (UK) »
the Church still ran the Poor Relief at that time.
The Kirk was not responsible for relief of the poor after 1845, when parochial boards were set up for this purpose. The kirk was represented on the parochial boards, but no longer ran the system itself.

The original poster referred to 1841 at which time the Kirk did still run the Poor Relief - the answer does not of course refer to the 2nd posters question regarding an adoption in 1896

The orphanage referred to in Bridge of Weir was most likely Quarriers Homes - if they were involved in the adoption process there might be  records 
see http://www.quarriers.org.uk/resource/trace-your-history/accessing-your-records/

Offline Juddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 July 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
I am not sure what Quarriers are but will check. Thank you so much.
Has anyone heard of "Alexander's Buildings, Union Glen." That is the location of birth on the birth certificate but I can't seem to find any other reference to it.
Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.
Judd

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 July 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
It was possibly a tenement building in the Union Glen area of Aberdeen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 July 14 07:53 BST (UK) »
I am not sure what Quarriers are but will check.

Quarriers is the name of an organisation that used to run the large orphanage at Bridge of Weir. Google for Quarriers Homes.

Has anyone heard of "Alexander's Buildings, Union Glen." That is the location of birth on the birth certificate but I can't seem to find any other reference to it.

The only Union Glen I know of is a street in Aberdeen. It's on Google and Streetview. Alexander's Buildings is likely to be a block of flats which at that time was known by the name of its owner or perhaps a long-standing tenant. Assuming the certificate you refer to is the one referring to the birth in Aberdeen, that will be the one.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Juddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 July 14 14:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
Yes it is the birth certificate of Aberdeen District of Old Machar Parish. It says Alexander's Buildings, Union Glen, Aberdeen. Date of birth 1896, mother is listed (Fanny Margaret McWilliam) but no father.
She was informally adopted (census shows her at age 4 -Rosanna Duncan McWilliam born 1896 with  Martha and Andrew Clark, their 2 daughters-Mary Keith Clark and Christina Reid Clark, and another informally adopted boy-Harry P Mcdonald born 1895). Both Rose and Harry were registered in school under the Clark name. Later census only shows the two daughters and Rosanna. An earlier census (pre Rosanna) showed another boy-Robert R. Mutch b) 1889, I think from Kilmacolm Orphanage , Bridge of Weir.
I appreciate your suggestions and help.
Juddy
It was suggested to me that Alexander's Buildings might be a poor house but I have found no evidence of that in my searchers.
Juddy