Author Topic: Crathie and Braemar, Scotland, McDonald Family  (Read 7209 times)

Offline garrydarby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crathie and Braemar, Scotland, McDonald Family
« on: Wednesday 09 April 14 07:25 BST (UK) »
I am searching for information on the McDonalds of Crathie and Braemar : Angus and Margarate (Margaret) McDonald had seven children between 1797 and 1816 - they were Charles, James, Donald (my Great Great Grandfather), Alexander, John, Margarate(Margaret) and Angus. All were baptised in Crathie and Braemar. Any information about their subsequent lives (marriages, deaths, children etc) would be appreciated.
Garry Darby

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Crathie and Braemar, Scotland, McDonald Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 12:40 BST (UK) »
Good morning
To be honest not found a lot.I'm not on Scots people which is the obvious place to go.
There is a marriage 10.1.1796 at Crathie and Braemar Angus Macdonald and Mrgt Macdonald.

1851 census Muirhall farm Bathagate
John Mc Donald 40 farmer and cattle dealer Craithe
Alexander 38 same
Angus 33 cattle dealer
Margaret 36
Margaret 15 niece Crathie
Elizabeth 10 niece same
John couts 7 nephew Dunfermline
Barney Kelley 37 servant
James Andrews 13 servant

1861 censu Muirhall Farm
John 48 farmer 100acres employing 6 lab
Alexander 46
Isabella 20 Braemar niece (Cs's daughter?)
John 18 ag lab Braemar (Cs's son?)
Angus 17 ag lab Braemar (Cs's  son)
John Coutts 18 Carnack clothier grocer nephew
Charles McDonald nephew 12 Bathgate.

1861 Ellon aberdeenshire Mains of Eslement
Angus age 42 lodger railway lab Craithie.

Baptisms of Charles and Jane/Jean macDonald  which I'm sure you already have
Margaret 16.8/25.8..1835 Crathie and B
Jean 23.7.1837 bap 1.8.1837
Isabella 24.4.1840 /8.4.1840 Crathie and B
Angus 5.8.1843 12.8.1843 Craithie and B
John 28.4.1845/12.5.1845 Crathie and B.
Charles 27.5.1848 Bathgate
They married 11.12.1834 Crathie and B and her maiden name was also MacDonald.

1851 census Falside Bathgate
Charles 54 farm labourer Braemer
Jane 62 same
John 8
Angus 6
Charles 2
Ann 73 aunt house servant Braemer

1841 Craithie Aucherey
Charles 42 farmer
Jane 30
Mary 15
Margaret 6
Jane 4
Isabel 1
Anne 60
Anne Edge 20 servant
John McBean 15 male servant

You've probably got all that ,but just in case I thought I'd pass it on.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Could this be James at Lochend Dunfirmline 1841
James 40 farmer  (1851 age  52 Braemer)
Mary 36  (1851 Mary 48 Forgandenny Perth)
Angus 9
Janet 8
James 6
Jean 4
Margret2
Mary Ann 5mths
Alexander 25 ag lab

In 1851 they are at 7 Meadow Bank Roscobie and there are an extra 2 children Isabella 8 and John 6.Alexander has gone.

1861 9 north Methven St Perth
James 60 cattle dealer
Angus 29 Beath
Janet 27 Beath
Margaret 22 miliner Dunfirmline
Mary Ann 20 dressmaker same
John 16 meal shop boy

1871 Friarton Valley perth
James 70 cattle dealer
Mary Ann 31
Isabella 23
John 26
James Batchison 10 servant

Baptisms
Angus  Mcdonald 15 October 1831    BEATH,FIFE,SCOTLAND      
Janet  Mcdonald 24 March 1833    BEATH,FIFE,SCOTLAND   
father:    James Mcdonald &    Mary Morton
James Macdonald birth:    26 May 1836 /  7 June 1836    SALINE,FIFE,SCOTLAND
Jean 6.2.1837 Dunfurmline  to James and Mary Morton Kettle
Margaret  Mcdonald birth: 11 December 1838 DUNFERMLINE   to    James Mcdonald and Mary Morton Kettle
Mary Ann 20.1.1841 Dunfurmline
Isabella  Mcdonald 14 November 1842    DUNFERMLINE,FIFE,SCOTLAND
John  Mcdonald    27 November 1844    DUNFERMLINE,FIFE,SCOTLAND   

The couple married 30.1.1831 Forgandenny Perth.

Ciderdrinker

Offline CMacDonaldL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 01:48 BST (UK) »
I am searching for information on the McDonalds of Crathie and Braemar : Angus and Margarate (Margaret) McDonald had seven children between 1797 and 1816 - they were Charles, James, Donald (my Great Great Grandfather), Alexander, John, Margarate(Margaret) and Angus. All were baptised in Crathie and Braemar. Any information about their subsequent lives (marriages, deaths, children etc) would be appreciated.
Garry Darby

I think we might be related.  Alexander was my great great great grandfather, he married Jean Leys.  He had my great great grandfather John in 1835 and immigrated to PEI Canada in 1844. 
We know Alexander was from Aberdeenshire.  If you think could be the right individual.  please let me know CMacDonaldL

Offline CMacDonaldL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 01:58 BST (UK) »
I think My great great great grandfather is Alexander born in 1809.  His son John was born in 1835 and they immigrated to PEI Canada in 1844.  Alexander married Jean Leys in 1796.  We know our Alexander was from Aberdeenshire.  John married Flora Jane MacDoanld in 1860 in PEI.  I am hoping this is the family you are asking about.

Offline CMacDonaldL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 02:03 BST (UK) »
I sorry Angus married Margaret in 1796.  Alexander married Jean Leys in 1834 in Crathie And Braemar, Aberdeen, Scotland
CMacDonaldL

Offline garrydarby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 07:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks CMacDonaldL - this certainly looks a match - my GG Grandfather (Donald McDonald)was born in 1802 - his parents were Angus and Margarate and he had a brother named Alexander.
Donald McDonald migrated to Australia, but I am not sure when. He married Agnes McCall from Dalkeith (Scotland) in Sydney in 1850. If you have access to shipping records you might help me by looking for Donald emigrating to Australia. Please keep in touch.   

Offline CMacDonaldL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Information I was given - my great great great grandfather was named Alexander, he was married to Jean Lee (spelling is different) and he had 6 children - James, Norman, John (my great great grandfather), Margaret, and Jane.  The family was also told he was from Aberdeenshire and not western Scotland and he was of Clanranald.

I also knew John was born in 1835 and immigrated to PEI Canada when he was 9, which would have been 1844.  So I joined Myheritiage and went looking.  First I found an Alexander McDonald and Jean Leys in Crathie And Braemar, Aberdeen, Scotland.  I also found christening certificates for everyone but James and Norman.  the big thing was their John McDonald was born in 1835 and they were married in 1834.

this led me to believe that Alexander's father might also be from there.  then I found a christening certificate for an Alexander McDonald born in 1809 which would have made him 26 when John was born which is just about what it should be and we were still in Crathie And Braemar.  The certificate named Angus and Margaret McDonald as his parents.  I feel certain that I have stumbled on the right Alexander and so therefore the right Angus and Margaret.  There was another possibility, but the mother was Margaret Coults.  Which I think was the family that other person sent information on.

You know it would be helpful if the Scots were a little more imaginative about naming their children. Every family seems to have the same stock names, it is hard to differentiate.  I am not sure what happened to James and Norman.  James could have been his brother, but there is no mention of Norman anywhere.  Maybe he was a cousin that came over with them or perhaps a friend.  things seem to get sketchy for us before John.

Again, I have no real proof that I am related to Angus and Margaret McDonald.  Everything fits and there really are not that many McDonald's in Crathie And Braemar at the time.  So I think there is enough evidence to place them on my tree.  If you have any thoughts, I would like to hear it.

Offline RSMcDd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 October 15 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I hope you still check this thread from time to time! I too trace my line back to Angus and Margarate (Margaret) McDonald of Crathie and Braemar. Their son Donald is my GGG Grandfather.

I have pretty comprehensive info on the Donald line post 1802(more specifically regarding Margaret, John and Jessie), thanks to a family tree  I've inherited which i assume (hope) is pretty accurate, BUT:

I have been trying in vain to learn more about Angus for whom I only have a possible (unverified) birth date of 1771 in Dubrach, Braemar and a marriage date (10.01.1796) to Margarate/Margaret (nee MacDonald of Cabrach b1775), who I am also trying to trace.

I would be very grateful for any info you might be able and willing to share on Angus and Margaret, ie birth/death dates, locations, parents names and dates etc, anything at all.

Regarding Donald's emigrating to Australia, garrydarby, I have it as being: Arrived Aust - 1839 (Port Phillip Bay, Victoria) on board the David Clarke. Hope that helps.