Author Topic: Blyth, Cowpen, Windmill Inn  (Read 33554 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Blyth, Cowpen, Windmill Inn
« on: Saturday 04 February 12 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Just posting this for the interest of the Blyth folk that visit the forum. This scene dated at 1922 has changed quite a bit now, though the Windmill Inn still stands! On the opposite side of the road the gable end of the King's Arms can be identified further down the road, but the buildings between it and the photographer have long since gone and the site occupied by what is today a petrol station and car sales garage. I remember it being a Ford garage and looking on with excitement at the launch of the then new Ford Capri MK2.

Hope it generates some interest and possibly memories for some.

Enjoy.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth, Cowpen, Windmill Inn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 12 10:48 GMT (UK) »

My family was rehoused to Cowpen Estate (Weardale Ave.,) in c1951 after Bebside pit closed.
 The photo shows Cowpen Road (earlier called Cowpen lane).

This was part of my "school run" (1946-52) to St Cuthbert's Primary School , about 30 yards behind
photographer's back.

Just off shot to the right was a little Co-op store and a small chapel made of corrugated
 metal. The village police house was adjacent to where the couple on the right, were.

There was a well-trodden path/track, by the gable end of the King's Arms, that led down
 to a small inlet of the River Blyth.

Just past Kings Arms was the opening leading to Tweedy and Taylor Street. Opposite was
small Post Office/general dealer. Carrying a little farther on and down "The Dip", led to the Sidney Arms.

Michael

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 12 12:15 GMT (UK) »
If my memory is correct, I recall a small allotment, or a small-holding adjacent to the old Police house, ie. between that and the garage area. On the same side of the road as the Catholic Church, and next to it was a farm run by 2(?) brothers.  I believe one was Bart Young.  After the farm was sold and houses put up on the site, Mr. Young lived in one of the houses practically opposite the Windmill Inn.  He was a regular there, along with Geordie Gregory, who lived in the John Street area.  Both men are now deceased. I believe Mr. Gregory may have worked at Crofton pit, and was in charge of the pit ponies.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 12 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I was born and brought up at Taylor Street and the 'Pink Path' (surfaced with ashes) was part of my play territory. In the summer we used to help a family of small holders gather hay and stack it up on a horse drawn cart. We used to get a ride on top of the hay back to the top of the pink path. When the industrial area was expanded and the new Conistion Road road built, the pink path was reconstructed and surfaced with tarmac. It then became the Black Path. How sophisticated we were! I can remember the old ancient river bridge at the bottom of the path being dug out and a square concrete culvert put in place for Coniston Road. I can also remember the land being surveyed and the preliminary bore holes being drilled when the area behind the garage was to be built upon.

The little allotment come market garden alongside the garage was owned by a chap we called John. A bunch of kids from Taylor Street used to go along there and hang out, preventing him from doing anything useful. In the winter we used to sit in a part of the old creaking glass house where the fire was and sit about chatting. The bungalow that stands on the site now was built by a family that lived a few doors up from us on Taylor Street. The family are still local to Blyth.

The little corrugated building you mention Michael, is still there. Set back from the road side opposite the Windmill Inn.

Without wanting to wish my life away, I wish I had known Cowpen before the road was widened and straightened and the estates built. I can image that it had quite a rural feel to the place.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 February 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
An even earlier view of Cowpen Road and what is now the site of the garage and petrol station. White Row.

Philip

Offline blythian

• RootsChat Extra
  • YOUNG, TAYLOR, HENDERSON, KEENLYSIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 12 06:43 GMT (UK) »
If my memory is correct, I recall a small allotment, or a small-holding adjacent to the old Police house, ie. between that and the garage area. On the same side of the road as the Catholic Church, and next to it was a farm run by 2(?) brothers.  I believe one was Bart Young.  After the farm was sold and houses put up on the site, Mr. Young lived in one of the houses practically opposite the Windmill Inn.  He was a regular there, along with Geordie Gregory, who lived in the John Street area.  Both men are now deceased. I believe Mr. Gregory may have worked at Crofton pit, and was in charge of the pit ponies.

If you don't mind me asking, which decade was this? My grandad lived on that part of the road for many years...well, pretty much all of cowpen through his life :lol: (have to ask my dad how long but i think from the mid to late 60 onwards) and he was called Alan, but f there was another Young in the area at the time my grandad lived there, i have to investigate haha, you never know  and i haven't even begun on my Young's yet.
Northumberland: Young, Parker, Wolens, Keenlyside, Taylor, Costello
Scotland: Dempster, Henderson, Jackson, M(a)cMillan, M(a)cLanders
Ireland (Co.Mayo): Monaghan, Costello

+ all variations of above names.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 February 12 07:17 GMT (UK) »
 In the 1950s, there was a farm behind St Cuthbert's RC Church and parish hall  which was the building of the original school, built by Lord of the manor Sydney in 1800s.

The church held regular fetes around the farm's duck pond, including little hand pedal boats. Us kids called it "Yorkie's Farm" !
( I think because the farmer was a Yorkshireman !)

Up to 1970s the farm is shown as Home Farm on maps.
 Nidderdale Close today on that site

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline blythian

• RootsChat Extra
  • YOUNG, TAYLOR, HENDERSON, KEENLYSIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 February 12 07:26 GMT (UK) »
In the 1950s, there was a farm behind St Cuthbert's RC Church and parish hall  which was the building of the original school, built by Lord of the manor Sydney in 1800s.

The church held regular fetes around the farm's duck pond, including little hand pedal boats. Us kids called it "Yorkie's Farm" !
( I think because the farmer was a Yorkshireman !)

Up to 1970s the farm is shown as Home Farm on maps.
 Nidderdale Close today on that site

Michael

Thank you michael for confirming the exsistence of "Yorkies Farm", was often told about it and assumed it was it was the farm's actual name haha. I would have felt silly asking.
Northumberland: Young, Parker, Wolens, Keenlyside, Taylor, Costello
Scotland: Dempster, Henderson, Jackson, M(a)cMillan, M(a)cLanders
Ireland (Co.Mayo): Monaghan, Costello

+ all variations of above names.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 February 12 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Blythian, have you seen the Keenlyside shop front postcard on Ebay?

Philip