Author Topic: Blyth, Cowpen, Windmill Inn  (Read 33584 times)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth, Cowpen, Windmill Inn
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 13:19 BST (UK) »
Re the posts above, the Geordie Gregory referred to, is he the one who lived in the John Street area?  If he is the one I am thinking of, he worked at Crofton Pit, and I believe he was something to do with the pit ponies there. He also had a small holding in the area.  I can still see him standing at the bar in the Windmill drinking with Bart Young, and others.
One licensee I recall was Des Sanderson, and his wife Ella.  They were there from about 1958/9 until sometime in the 1960s.  I last saw Des Sanderson about 40+ years back in one of the big pubs in Leeds city centre.

Offline blythian

• RootsChat Extra
  • YOUNG, TAYLOR, HENDERSON, KEENLYSIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 14:46 BST (UK) »
Another thing that i heard growing up was that Billy Connely's skiffle band used to play at the Windmill before he got famous?
Northumberland: Young, Parker, Wolens, Keenlyside, Taylor, Costello
Scotland: Dempster, Henderson, Jackson, M(a)cMillan, M(a)cLanders
Ireland (Co.Mayo): Monaghan, Costello

+ all variations of above names.

Offline cowpenexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 22:36 BST (UK) »
Blythian Alan Young was instrumental along with one or two others in starting a folk club at the Windmill. During the embryionic days of his career Billy Connoly was part of a group called the Humble Bums another member of which was Gerry  Rafferty of Baker Street fame In all probability your grandad would have booked them for the Mill . Certaintly I remember seeing them with Alan at the Lampglass club in Ashington We used to have some of the leading singers on the British folk scene on at the Mill all of whom generally ended up the worse for wear We set up one weekend an attempt on the World Folk singing record  by A singer called Hamish Imlach to sing all thru the weekend the sub plot been that me your grandad et al wanted a weekend of continuous drinking Both were achived we got The Mill into the Guiness Book of Records we drank all weekend and the official Guiness observer was  last seen heading for Monkeys Island searching for that well known local lady Dolly Clarts who we had assured him would be there  As far as Im aware hes still down there.Happy days

Offline Yossarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 08 May 14 19:01 BST (UK) »
Where to start?

I remember the Windmill Folk Club, and I know the stories of the Humblebums and Hamish Imlach (whom I met), but there was another Scottish folk singer, a staunch Glaswegian, who played there and he stayed at our house in Devonworth Place. His name is Nigel Denver, and it knocked my socks off to have someone at our house who had made LPs. I remember my dad (Alan Young) sitting at the dining table patiently filling in cross-hatching with a biro as he made posters for forthcoming acts.

I used to frequent the Sidney Arms when the Jolly Boys were active. They used to dress as cowboys, and they all wore holsters with replica revolvers in them (try doing THAT today). There was a pianist and a microphone for all-comers to have a go in this pre-karaoke age. I remember one poor soul doing Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling in full cowboy regalia with his flies undone and his white shirt tail protruding. Not a pretty sight.

I remember an old fellow called Gregory who lived on that short bottom stretch of John Street. As far as I recollect, he looked like a farmer in flat cap and wellies, and I think I sometimes my mam sent me on a Sunday morning to buy a fresh cabbage or swede for lunch from him, as he had a garden just off the back lane. I was scared because he used to chase us off for playing football in the street, but he was OK when I went for veg (if indeed it was him, although I'm pretty certain it was).

I was actually born in Beecher Street (No 45, long since demolished), but for some reason I never asked my mam or dad why this was so. It's too late now, sadly.

Offline HenryWood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 08 May 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I've heard from a relation in Blyth that the Windmill has been sold and is probably going to be demolished to make way for some kind of store.
Sad times, though I suppose it is happening all over the country now. >:(

Offline cowpenexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 08 May 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Yossarian(catch 22?) Alan Young and I were the best of mates and the tales I could tell you are legend The night Mickey Rob (Carlos son) sank the galleon in the Mill been just one.i spent Easter in Blyth and whilst the Mills still there I picked up online in the News Post that there is some kind of effort to save it. A 50s boyhood in the Newtown was just magic and something I suppose kids nowadays just wouldnt understand
TOLLY

Offline cowpenexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 08 May 14 22:23 BST (UK) »
YOSSARIAN You should have heard Nigel Denver sing his own song Grey October( In Abervan) mek the hair stand up on the back of your heed. could have heard a pin drop in the Mills back room

Online Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 09 May 14 00:18 BST (UK) »
If the Windmill is due for demolition, can one of the Blyth crew please go and take photographs of it now before it is lost, and she the images with me or this page? Try and get a good view of each side, and maybe a 'contextual' shot of it and it's surroundings. For future generations......

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline cowpenexile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 09 May 14 11:51 BST (UK) »
Last weeks News Post has just landed on my doormat down hear in the High Peak sent by a Blyth relative, and the Mill definitely about to close to be replaced by a convenience store no less.Petition in the pub so all you Blyth lot get in there have a pint and sign.Its been there since 1840s so deserves some support. Got me to thinking about Cowpen road hostlerys.Bebside Inn -open Sydney- gone Cowpen Club- gone Kings ? Mill- going Duke- gone North  Farm -gone Thoronton ? Top Hoose?
 Spent my teenage years watching Tex Leon and the Tynesiders Rue and the Rockets at Duke and Bandroom. Leads on to the Roxy Saw Gene Vincent there. Thats right folks Gene Vincent who toured with Eddie Cochran who new Buddy Holly who met Elvis breathed Blyth air WOW