Author Topic: John Hogg Craggy Hall 1801  (Read 2152 times)

Offline BHH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Hogg Craggy Hall 1801
« on: Friday 12 September 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I am trying to find information on one John Hogg.  He was buried on 11th August 1801 in Belford St Marys.  I think he is the son of Andrew Hogg (c1695-1776) and Jean Penny, christened 12th September 1725 Parish of Holy Island. In Andrew's will of he left his son John the farm and implements at Budle, but there is no mention of any wife or children for John like there is for all his (Andrew's) other children and grandchildren that were still alive. I have John (of Belford)'s will.  He designates himself "John Hogg of Craggy Hall".  He mentions two sons, William and John.  I assume William is the elder as he gets most of the estate. He also mentions his "faithful servant Hannah Dixon".  I have found a William Hogg or Dixon, father John Hogg mother Hannah Dixon christened 6 May 1772 Tweedmouth. But not sure if that would be close enough to either Budle or Craggy Hall? And can't find a John christened with the same parents.  And if this is John's son, why was he not mentioned in father Andrew's will like all the other grandchildren?

So did John have 2 children with Hannah but not marry?  And is John who died in Belford the same as John who was baptised on Holy Island?

One more bit to the puzzle - both John and presumed father Andrew (who died 1776) have a William Watson as their executor.

Any help appreciated

cheers Barbara

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: John Hogg Craggy Hall 1801
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 September 14 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is an entry (link below) to the baptism record in Tweedmouth of William Hogg, which states "father John Hogg of Bewdle in the Parish of Bamburgh"

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11607-152548-61?cc=1309819&wc=9K59-3T5:13617901,30708101,30708102

Budle/ Belford / Bamburgh are all about 17 miles from Tweedmouth, maybe that was where Hannah was from. It seems from the Will and Baptism records that it's probably the same man.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BHH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Hogg Craggy Hall 1801
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 September 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
Wonderful thank you Clair.  :D  I thought I had checked all family search records but missed that one. Looks like the "faithful servant" from the will was a bit more than that!  Now to search for son John. 
cheers Barbara