Author Topic: Robert Denham/Denholm of Norham Mains  (Read 3085 times)

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Denham/Denholm of Norham Mains
« on: Thursday 18 July 13 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Robert Denham/Denholm died 15 March 1839. Robert was born, married and had his children in Scotland. However, he lived at Norham Mains and his death was recorded at Berwick. His occupation is given as "beadle". As Ladykirk is only a hop and a skip from Norham, I wonder if he could have been beadle there. His widow, Jean/Janet McKenzie, died 20 Nov 1839 at Hutton and it the OPR has "widow of Robert Denham of Norham Mains".

Are there any other C of S near to Norham? Are there any records for Ladykirk(or other nearby C of S) that someone could look up or point me in the right direction?

Thanks, mamad

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Denham/Denholm of Norham Mains
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 August 13 23:25 BST (UK) »
I've found a couple of items which may help:

There's an old posting on rootsweb which I think might interest you re the Scottish Presbyterian Church in the area you're researching and also on what was permitted and not permitted in England regarding other religions (marriages, burials, etc).

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NORTHUMBRIA/2012-03/1330856075
---------

I surfed using "find Presbyterian churches in Northumberland" and discovered that the Northumberland authorities have a pdf list which can be downloaded.  It has just over two A4 pages of both Presbyterian and Congregational churches.  Using the list of the places which have a "P" against them, you could go the the GENUKI page for Norham, click on "Nearby Places" and check what you find against the Northumberland authorities church listing.

If you copy and paste into your browser the highlighted phrase below,  the search result will bring up the northumberland archive PDF list for you to download.

www.northumberland.gov.uk/idoc.ashx?docid=75a07a0a-0f8f...1‎ (don't paste this into your browser - nothing comes up)

Record Office (see the leaflet Genealogical Publications for Sale for further details) ... Presbyterian Churches in Northumberland often include the word Scotch or ...
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Denham/Denholm of Norham Mains
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 August 13 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rena, I'll have a look. Any information is helpful. Robert is one of my brick walls, as he also is for others researching him too.

Mags