Author Topic: Tognarelli ice-cream parlour owners  (Read 49696 times)

Offline flight engineer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tognarelli ice-cream parlour owners
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 16:05 BST (UK) »
 Friend Bronk Piano: Here in this way the photos are much better and clearer.
What I understand about the photos, in Photo 1 is a chocolate shop located on Pow St. Renzo's with Tognarelli´s wife maiden name Biglia. Photo 2 Tognarelli Renzo is facing the same store. Photo 3 a coffee shop called Coffee de Luxe on Bridge St., as written on the sidewalk is Fhilip Tognarelli with his wife,
I do not understand the phrase "Nan's friend".
Regarding the previous photos achieved with the help of a friend decipher the marriage document and photos of it. About the truck photo what is the estimated date.
That´s all , thanks.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 21:15 BST (UK) »
The Sheffield Evening Telegraph, 17 July 1891, rported the case of "Tognarelli v Warburton".

Luigi Tognarelli, "... ice cream dealer and plaster figure maker ..." had been very seriously injured at his premises in Little Pond Street on "... 12 Sept (1890) when the adjacent building fell in ...". He was making a claim for loss of earnings and stated "He had been sending his savings over 10 years to his brother in law in Italy".

1891 Census  Louigi Tognarelli, Patient, Marr, 42, General Labourer, b. Italy
Address - 127 Public Hospital and Dispensary, West Street, Sheffield

Offline BronxPiano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 22:48 BST (UK) »
flight engineer, I am not sure if the Genny Tognarelli in the photo was my Grandmother`s friend. At about this time, possibly 1920 to 1925, my Grandmother had a friend by the name of Gene or Genny Biglia. Either spelling would be used.
 The photo of my Grandfather with the horse and cart, would also be 1920 to 1925, but this is a guess. I have added the front and back of a picture postcard that people used to give each other in those days. As you can see, it is addressed to Miss Meri Pieroni, 46 Pow Street. I do not know who Maggie is who sent the card. My Grandmother was Maria Pieroni, but also called Mary. This card will have been a Christmas before 1922, as she married my Grandfather in that year. Maggie will have been English, or the card would have said "Buon Natale e felice anno nuovo".

Offline flight engineer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 15:01 BST (UK) »
Very interesting your information  Hannes teulu, thank you very much.

Offline carol from crosby

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 August 13 01:53 BST (UK) »
My great aunty norah (Mills) used to live in Hawesmead Drive, Kendal and her neighbours were Norma and Tony Tognarelli and their two daughters. They ran the icecream shop in Kendal.  I believe they moved to Lancaster eventually.

Offline flight engineer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 August 13 21:34 BST (UK) »
Thaks a lot Carol, is not the same family that I looked for

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 April 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
I came across this thread by chance. 

There are quite a number of mentions of John Robert Tognarelli in Bolton where he was in the motor trade and had a bus company as well as the usual ice cream parlours.  There is a photograph of a couple of his buses in the 1920

A History of the Motor Trade in Bolton
Denis O'Connor
Published by Neil Richardson
ISBN 978 185216 166 8

It is available from the M&LFHS

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Toggie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
   It's been ages since I last posted anything on this page. I'm not sure if anyone is still looking at it. I personally don't have any photos but if anyone is looking for anything particular I can ask my grandfather.

Offline BronxPiano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Toggie, I have wondered where you had gone. I am convinced our families are linked in some way, historically. I have posted quite a few photos, including Tognarelli ones and my own Fabbri ones. Would your Grandfather be able to shed any light on the link? William Tognarelli was my Grandfather`s Best Man and I`m pretty sure that is my Nan in the doorway. I also contacted  a family in Keswick who were interested, so I sent photos, but they never replied. Any info you can find out would be great. The photos I have posted are on this thread, further "up".