Author Topic: (*Completed*)CLARKE, Michael - convict to Australia ex Monaghan, trial 1839?  (Read 5079 times)

Offline technogeekery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hello Irish forumites. I'm trying to track down Michael CLARKE of Monaghan, born 1802 or close, who was tried for highway robbery in Monaghan on 3 August 1829, and transported for life to NSW in 1830 on the "James Pattison". He died in Bathurst in Australia in 1847, but unfortunately his death records are minimal, so I can't confirm exactly where he was born. He was married to Margaret, who followed him out to NSW as a free settler on the "Margaret", which arrived NSW on 7 Jan 1839, and she was aged 40, so b. c1799.

I think its very hard to track someone in Ireland without knowing exactly where they came from, so my first question here is - does anyone have any idea if there are potentially court records existing for that trial, and where I might go about looking for them? Hopefully they will have a township or parish listed against him, possibly more.

A little more speculative, but I think another CLARKE family who came out later were also related. This is the family of Patrick Clarke who came to Australia as free settlers on the JOHN Renwick in 1841. From the arrival report:

Patrick was 34 (so b. c1807) native of Tillagrehan (?), Co Monaghan, son of Bernard a labourer dead, and Kate Daley (Foley?) also dead
Mary Clarke, native of – same as husband, daughter of Hugh McDonald (?) a labourer living, and Bridget Conley dead. Farm Servant, 33, has been ill a long time & is now unwell and weak
Michael – 9 years
Patrick – 2 years
Anne – 7 years

Again, I need to find the exact township, and have been unable to trace Tillagrehan. As always, Irish place names were mangled by the authorities on arrival - but I can't really find anything close. Any suggestions? I'll attach the handwriting in case that helps.

Any help on tracing the township/parish, or court records, would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Alex

PS: they were all Roman Catholic
(UK) ROGERS, MAIN

(Australia) RANKIN, GRESSIER, GARCIA, CARR, BAKER, WOODLAND, GRAHAM

Online conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CLARKE, Michael - convict to Australia ex Monaghan, trial records from 1839?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 February 14 10:58 GMT (UK) »
There is a townland called Terygreehan in Ballybay parish in the "Tithe Applotments".  Sounds promising to me as there are some CLARKES listed.  Available free on-line at
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/index.jsp

www.thecore.com/seanruad      Link for townland searches

http://www.historyaustralia.org.au/twconvic/James+Pattison+1830           
Another link which may assist your search   www.irishtimes.com/ancestor

Its a pay site but plenty of free info including townlands and parishes.  Terrygreeghan in this link (townlands of Ballybay)

Offline technogeekery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CLARKE, Michael - convict to Australia ex Monaghan, trial records from 1839?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 February 14 18:54 GMT (UK) »
canahy calling - thank you very much. Terygreehan sounds about right - and the very first page I looked on had Michl. & Patt. Clark on a farm together. Looks very promising indeed - thanks! Will check the other sources you've given me too.

Cheers

Alex
(UK) ROGERS, MAIN

Offline technogeekery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Okay, having done my homework, I find that RC parish registers from Tullycorbet/Ballybay (which is the right RC parish for township of Terrygreeghan / Terygreehan exist in fiche form only from 1862 (Bap) and 1876 (Marr). So nothing here for me given Michael left in 1830 and Patrick and family in 1841. Am I right in assuming this avenue is closed, or is it possible for a paid researcher to view the original registers at the parish?

Also, re court records for Michael - I understand from the national archives in Ireland that the Convict Reference Files prior to 1836 were burned in the Four Courts fire, so no record of the trial is likely to exist anywhere.

Can't find any newspaper archives dating back to that time in Co. Monaghan

The Tithe Applotment books were a solid hit, I think that is my Michael & Patrick together on the farm, so while not 100% it is a strong indication that I'm on the right track.

But that would appear to be the end of that line of research, unless anyone can suggest other avenues? If not, I'll say thanks very much and close of this request.

Cheers

Alex
(UK) ROGERS, MAIN

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex

The only thing I can suggest, is that the earlier Parish Records maybe to delicate to film, and maybe still be, within the Parish Church or Archives.

Margp 
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline technogeekery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
CLOSED
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Okay, thanks, if I really get stuck on the Aus side, I might eventually ask a local genealogist to do some paid research for me - for now I'll close this. Thanks for your help
(UK) ROGERS, MAIN

Offline Ballybay

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: (*Completed*)CLARKE, Michael - convict to Australia ex Monaghan, trial 1839?
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 February 14 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I am very sorry that you seem to have closed this inquiry. I just stumbled onto this website today. I actually  have a map of the townland dated 1829, that I copied from a farmer who lives in Terrygreehan. (he had the original map folded in an old shoe box)
The map shows the exact location of Michael and Patrick Clarke's farm in Terrygreeghan, Ballybay, Monaghan. There also appears to be an older brother John Clarke.
 I am a direct male descendant of Patrick Clarke who, as you point out, came to Australia after his brother Michael had been convicted of Highway Robbery in 1829. I would appreciate it you could perhaps email me directly at
 (*)

regards
Mark Clarke

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline technogeekery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: (*Completed*)CLARKE, Michael - convict to Australia ex Monaghan, trial 1839?
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 February 14 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Good lord - you never know what the internet will turn up :-) I'll email you now.
(UK) ROGERS, MAIN