Author Topic: ROSEWARNE/ HARRIS/ LOCKET - Camborne  (Read 4747 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
ROSEWARNE/ HARRIS/ LOCKET - Camborne
« on: Friday 12 September 08 22:33 BST (UK) »
My greatgrandmother, Grace Williams married Richard Henry Rosewarn Harris  , their first child was born in Michigan USA in 1887 Bible has him born Torkay. ???
==================================
This is my query sent to Cornwall registrars.
Information from Family Bible.
There is a Richard Henry Harris, ( Rosewarne) born c 1861. adopted by John Harris.
The childs parents are named as Mary Rosewarne and RN Locket.
I have found the child with John Harris in 1871 aged 8, luckily descibed as adopted son. Later census have him born Redruth.
  1871 census l Higher Vyvyan row. Camborne
John Harris 43 blacksmith b Camborne
Mary A Harris wife 41 b Camborne
Richard H Harris ADOPTED SON 8 b Camborne.
======================================
Reply from Registrars.
Thank you for your email which has been forwarded to us.  We have made a search of our indexes for Camborne and Redruth for 1858-1862 under both surnames - Rosewarne and Locket – and we have been unable to trace an entry for Richard Henry.

Can anyone help solve this mystery. ???
Thanks  :)

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: ROSEWARNE/ HARRIS/ LOCKET - Camborne
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 September 08 04:47 BST (UK) »
Hi wilcoxon,

I fear this may be difficult. The registration of births was not compulsory at this time so Richard may not have been registered. If he was and his parents were not married, I would expect the birth would have been registered under his mothers name. Rosewarne is certainly a Cornish name. Locket I would not have thought so, although there certainly were some births around Redruth at this time, and in 1861 quite a few (more Lockett with the tt) around Perranzabuloe and Redruth.

Being "adopted" - Richard may not have been his birth name and as there was no official adoption at this time it will be hard to trace. 2 things cross my mind. Torkay - I have never heard of it - Torquay in Devon is all that springs to mind. (Have seen it described as Torkay) Secondly 1871 Richard adopted son is 8, born Camborne, 1881 Richard Son is 17, born Redruth, given children's ages are usually more correct than adult ages, birth appears to be more like 1862-1864. I don't see a birth but wonder if the search you had done may have been  a little early.....Cheers Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 September 08 10:33 BST (UK) »
 I didn`t know about registration - thats bad news then. ???
All the details  are in a bible wich is pretty accurate, it even has that John Harris married Mary Keast. I haven`t found them prior to 1871 to see if they had other children.

Still stuck then. ::)
Thanks anyway.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 September 08 10:56 BST (UK) »
Yes unfortunately registration was not compulsory until 1875. During this time an illegitimate child could not legally be registered in the father's name so one would expect if he was registered it would be under Rosewarne, even if a different Christian Name or just "male".

Bastardy Orders are a possibility. If Mary was in need of relief there should be some sort of records. I wonder if he was actually born in Camborne. Have you viewed to Parish Records to look for a possible baptism. (Camborne Baptisms for that period are not online) John and Mary Ann Keast's marriage is listed in 1852

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~camborneopc/

John and Mary Harris did not have any Children in 1861. Cornwall Census is Free Online. Could be interesting - there is a "Keist" in the household.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,144624.0.html

Cheers Kris  :D

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 September 08 12:54 BST (UK) »
Looks  like then it might have to be a search for a baptism, pretty difficult for me a I`m quite a distance from Cornwall ???
Thanks again.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 September 08 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You can hire in the film to any LDS Library worldwide for a very moderate fee to cover the postage involved. It is send in to the centre and they ring you to let you know it has arrived. They keep it for a about a month to allow you plenty of time to come in and view the film. You will probably need to book a viewer to use on the day you plan your visit. I am on the other side of the world and many miles from a LDS library but find with the time allowed, their is plenty of time to get down to town and view the film.  ;D

You could also try contacting the OPC to see if she is able to help.

Good Luck.................Kris  :D

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 September 08 22:25 BST (UK) »
Have contacted Sally, OLC, no joy, and checked Cornwall Records Archives catalogue, nothing to link up in there.
It`s not possible for me to travel to a LDS library - so think I`m stuck. :-\
The only option left is if some kind person is willing to look for me,
possible surnames Keast/ Harris/Rosewarne/Locket.
I have traced the John Harrris who adopted Richard Henry from 1841 to 1901, and he lived in the same place Vyvyans Terrace/Street  Camborne all that time till 1901 when he turns up in Cumberland. If Rh was baptised by John then it would probably be Camborne.
 By1891 Rchard Henry has gone to America.

Offline foxwellsofcornwall

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 00:13 BST (UK) »
Did you find the information you were seeking regarding Rosewarne/Harris?  If not, I may have information for you.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, welcome to RC.   It`s a long time since I started this thread. I was helping someone else at the time.
I`m sure anything you can add would be useful. I just hope I can still contact the other person  :)