Author Topic: Samuel J Bartle  (Read 4499 times)

Offline maryanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Samuel J Bartle
« on: Wednesday 07 August 13 20:49 BST (UK) »
Will somone look-up the incoming passenger list for Samuel Bartle for me please. His arrival was Southampton. I hope that there will be an address for him in Cornwall.
I know that a brother and sister stayed in the USA but I am sure that he returned.When he emigrated it stated that he was married and I have found a marriage between a Mary L Bear and a Samuel J Bartle  in 1925 June qtr 1925 Redruth district and I wonder if it is him.

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel J Bartle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 August 13 14:06 BST (UK) »
There are a few with the name Samuel Bartle can you tell me when he was born to narrow it down Thanks Lynette :)
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 August 13 14:29 BST (UK) »
Freebmd shows an 1896 birth in Redruth for a Samuel J Bartle

The only entry with that birthyear arrived aboard The Mauretania  12.12.1930 Southampton from New York - occ mechanic.  Aged 34 and address 36 Centenary St Camborne.  No marital status shown and not travelling with others of the same surname
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 August 13 14:36 BST (UK) »
His birthplace is shown as Camborne on census entries and you need to look at the 1911 entry re: address.  RC do not allow 1911 info to be posted

The 1911 is currently free on Ancestry

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,654963.0/topicseen.html
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline maryanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 August 13 16:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information.
He is the correct person. I have found him on FindMyPast in the 1911 census.
I have found a possible marriage for him to a Mary Louisa Beare but she seems to be to old for him her birth year being 1876 and his birth year was 1896.
I have also traced Mary L Beare and she married a Frederick Lawn who had died before 1911.
A few years later Samuel Bartle appears in obituary newspaper reports regarding his parents, with a Louisa so may be it is Mary Bear and there was also a Mrs Beare from Hayle mentioned.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 August 13 20:22 BST (UK) »
Samuel Bartle from Camborne aged 25 departed Southampton 24.6.1922 for New York.  No other Bartles with him

If Mary Louisa Beare was a widow - she would have re-married under surname Lawn

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 August 13 20:31 BST (UK) »
You need sight of that 1925 marriage cert to see if Mary was a widow or a spinster

Theory time:

March qtr 1895 birth on freebmd for Mary Sophia L Beare in St Austell

Death in 1997 Penzance aged 102 for Mary Sophia L Bartle born 17.1.1895

The only Beare/Bartle marriage in Cornwall is that 1925 one so I think she dropped the Sophia when she married

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 August 13 00:36 BST (UK) »
Samuel departed in 1922 and returned in 1930 so I don't think the 1925  marriage is him. I noticed he has attestation papers with the Centenary address have you seen these  Take Care Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline maryanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 August 13 17:18 BST (UK) »
Thank-you all for the posts.
lyn22 I haven't seen the attestation papers and would like to.
CaroleW I hadn't seen that birth and death for Mary Beare/Bartle. I agree with you that Mary Lawn would have married under her married name and I have ruled her out.
I wonder if there is another travel date for Samuel because it seems to be so much information pointing to Samuel and Mary Sophie Beare being the correct ones.
I have looked at the 1911 census and have seen where Mary Beare's family are living to (they moved from St Austell) and the area is where Samuel's sister Gladys Firstbrook nee Bartle was living later on after her marriage.
Also Samuel and Louise are mentioned in the obituary of Samuel's father in Camborne so it is obvious that Samuel didn't stay in the USA.
There is a death for Samuel J Bartle in 1978 Penzance and birth was Sept 1896 and that date fits in with the Camborne Samuel. It is possible that Samuel lived in Lelant which is the Penzance district and where his sister Gladys lived.