Author Topic: Brown/Browne;McKeogh & Harrison;Johnston  (Read 5583 times)

Offline canadagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brown/Browne;McKeogh & Harrison;Johnston
« on: Friday 28 September 12 23:40 BST (UK) »
Looking for ancestors-
Information I have; Thomas Brown/Browne born 24 Feb 1857 Co. Cavan - died Canada
his parents-John Brown/Browne & Margaret McKeogh ---Grandaughter said name Brown was Browne in Ireland.

Thomas married (posssibly in 1880, Cootehill Cavan)  to Eliza Jane Harrison.

Eliza Jane Harrison born 14 March 1862 Co. Cavan - died Canada
her parents Ann Johnston and Joseph Harrison.

Thomas & Eliza Jane's eldest son born 10 Sept 1881 -- registration district --Cootehill Cavan.

Ann Johnston was born 15 Aug 1844--- her parents Adam Johnston & Ann ?

Found passage aboard Parisian arr. Quebec Canada 30 Sept 1882 for Thomas, Eliza Jane & infant Joseph

Interesting - found second passage aboard Polynesian arr. Quebec Canada 20 Sept 1886 for Ann Harrison matron aged 39;  Eliza Jane Brown matron aged 22, Children Joseph (age 4- b. Ireland), Margaret (age 2- b. Ontario Canada) & John (infant b. Rutherglen Scotland)

A return to Ireland in these times is highly unusual-- but fact show it to be true
Please help solve the mystery-- Thanks for any and all help appreciated
Carryclare/Carrowclare, Myroe, Londonderry area. Families of interest- McCurry;McIntyre;Hemphill:Blackburn;Forrest;McElwee; Gordon.

Maternal line-CountyCavan-Families of interest- Brown/Browne;McKeogh; Harrison; Johnston

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brown/Browne;McKeogh & Harrison;Johnston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 September 12 09:26 BST (UK) »
'McKeogh' is more likely to be the surname McKeague.

Possible marriage:
John Brown, son of John, 14 Apr.1853 Knockbride Co. Cavan to Margeret Mckague, age 20, daughter of William
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGX2-B9R

Children (born after start of civil registration in 1864):
1. Margaret born 29 Apr.1865 Cootehill district (page 192 in civil register), parents- John Brown & Margaret Mckaigen
2. Margaret born 8 Sept.1868 Bailieboro district (page 404 in civil register), parents- John Brown & Margaret Mc Keague

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline canadagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 October 13 04:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you;
 I have also come to the same conclusion that our spelling is incorrect..the only place it is recorded is on a death certificate here in Canada, and quite probably the person recording the certificate decided on the spelling. I am not sure how to verify this information as correctly belonging to our tree. Any hints?  I continue to search... now have been focusing on variations of the name McKaigue & McKeague etc.

Many thanks for the help thus far; I was able to visit Co. Cavan last year and  did confirm the marriage of Thomas Browne & Eliza Jane Brown or Harrison on 1 Sept 1880 in Chapel of Ease(Dernakesk) while at PRONI in Belfast. The witnesses at this marriage were Thomas Moore & Robert Vincent. I did get to visit The Chapel of Ease at Dernakesk, in Co. Cavan; but alas it was locked and no person nearby could direct me farther.

Will now be researching for more family members for Margaret(McKeague/McKaigue) & John Brown.
Carryclare/Carrowclare, Myroe, Londonderry area. Families of interest- McCurry;McIntyre;Hemphill:Blackburn;Forrest;McElwee; Gordon.

Maternal line-CountyCavan-Families of interest- Brown/Browne;McKeogh; Harrison; Johnston

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 October 13 16:21 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Bailieborough. My cousins wife Neva McKeague in Saskatoon has compiled a detail family tree of McKeague's who were raised at Cullies, Shercock and attended Corraneary Presbyterian Church, both locations are in the Parish of Knockbride. I contributed the earliest McKeague entries found in the church records. McKeague was spelled four different ways in the church registers, it would appear ministers spelled it as they thought it sounded and often times the people themselves were illiterate. William McKaig and Susanna Newell had Alexander (1832), Margaret (1833), Sarah (1834), Elizabeth (1835), Jane (1837), William (1840), William Robert (1842) and Laura & Samuel (1845). Margaret married John Brown in 1853, Elizabeth married Henry Brown in 1835 and Jane married John Snile in 1857. We haven't been able to tie this family to our own as there were at least two other McKeague families in separate locations in the Parish of Knockbride at this time. Hope this is of some help and feel free to get in touch if you have any further queries. Leslie McKeague http://www.bailiepublications.com

Offline andreaselegantaffair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 November 14 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Les-
I have found you through Neva's family research notes, and I am a descendant of Wiliam McKaig and Susanna Newell as well, through their son Robert b. 1836. (would seem you're my 4th cousin). I noticed he is not listed as a child in the church registries, but William and Susanna Newell are clearly listed on his death certificate. He married Catharine Bell, lived in Angus, Scotland. Any information, or ways I could locate church or McKaig family documentation would be GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers,
Andrea Meyers

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 November 14 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andrea, I would be delighted to share any information I have with you so email me at Removed and we can communicate. Regards, Les.

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: Harrison of Cootehill
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 October 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
Dear Canada Girl,

You write of an Eliza Jane Harrison who married, possibly in Cootehill, Cavan.  I am told that marriages most often took place in the home parish of the bride.  If true in this case, we are looking at a Harrison family of Cootehill. 

There were Harrisons of Cootehill, County Cavan, who went to Canada.  Two trips.  The first was James Harrison of Cootehill (born about 1770) and his wife Frances who took all but [one] of their children with them to Canada in, best guess, 1820.  Frances died aboard ship (1820) and the father about two months later or in the 1820s anyway.  Children were all on Wolfe Island, Canada at this point.  The late couple had left behind in Cootehill their son Edward Harrison who was doing his apprenticeship--a legal agreement--in weaving.  Edward--in no hurry to join his family--married Rachel Wilson, had a first son James named for the baby's paternal grandfather, and then the family of three went to Canada in 1832, specifically Caledon, Peek County; is that Ontario?  Now, did these Harrisons (either James or Edward) leave behind a brother in Cootehill?  I don't know.  James had two siblings in County Monaghan, but Edward could have.  I don't know of any other sibling for either. 

Mine were a Presbyterian family.  James Harrison had a known bro and a known sister.  The brother was Hugh Harrison of Ballybay, County Monaghan (born 1760).  Their sister was Isabella Harrison White.  (Both Isabella and Hugh married Whites, also a brother Joseph White and sister.)  These three Harrisons--James, Hugh, and Isabella--trace back to John Harrison the Elder of Castleblayney, who was there in 1663 and died there in 1703.  This John was probably born in England, as six branches of our 9 branch family have the same oral tale, that the first Harrison in Ireland was born in England, came to Ireland under Cromwell.  The end of short oral tale.   

If you think your Eliza Jane Harrison was related to these Cootehill Harrisons (of mine), I would be interested in knowing, please.  Thank you.  I do not see McKeogh in my tree, but do see McGeoh in Armagh and McKeown, and MCCoy, probably not what you are seeking.  Which spellings have you seen for the name you have?  Thank you.  We have three to four Eliza Janes in our Harrison family.  But your Eliza Jane Harrison might have been named for her mother's family, given the Irish naming tradition followed by my Harrisons.

In sum, my family had a James Harrison of Cootehill and his family were of Cootehill no earlier than he himself and my guess is he was born over in County Monaghan in about 1770.  The Canadian descendants of James Harrison (but not by his son Edward) called their hometown "Monaghan Goire" which means near Monaghan, in this case near the county of Monaghan.  One descendant searched maps for Monaghan Goire, so I write here that it was Cootehill, County Cavan, where all of James's children were born.  I hope this is your (Presbyterian) family, otherwise, I have written off topic.

(The research on the Cootehill Harrisons, was done by the late Elizabeth Chadwick Stanford.  The research on Edward was done by S, living.)  Good luck with your Harrison ancestor, Eliza Jane Harrison.

Polly LYNN

Harrison