Author Topic: O'Brien Family  (Read 4765 times)

Offline kat0624

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Brien Family
« on: Monday 27 August 12 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hello!  I hope to receive a little help into the research of my 4th great-grandfather, Murrough O'Brien.  He was born in the early 1800's and was married to Bridget O'Meara.  The first information I have of him is on my 3rd great-grandmother's marriage record in Dublin, 1856.  His daughter, Sarah, has also been difficult to locate birth information.  Recently, I located a prison record in Dublin, 1868.  He is listed as being from Tullow and this is the first I have been able to link him anywhere.  I know that he was already living in Dublin as of 1840, around the year of birth for Sarah.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: O'Brien Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 07:56 BST (UK) »
Baptism records for the RC parish of Tullow go back to the 1760s, marriage to the 1770s, but the main websites dont cover RC records for Carlow at the moment. The historic records for the parish are available in the National Library on microfilm reference Pos. 4194.

see related thread : O'Brien Family of Deane Street  (Dublin)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kat0624

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 11:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks!  Any idea on how to locate the records when you live out of the country?  Since RAOGK has closed down, doing research offline has been so difficult.  I appreciate it!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
Other than arranging a researcher, you have to cross your fingers that a website like IrishGenealogy adds Carlow RC records (they only have CofI records the county at present) or there's someone else with in interest in that parish for that timeframe.... or maybe even a connection looking into that same O'Brien family.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kat0624

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 16:15 BST (UK) »
I was afraid you would say that! :)  I really do appreciate the help and I will be crossing fingers that one day they scan the copies and make them available online.  I tried to locate a Tullow historical society.  It looks as if there is not one for Carlow.  Do you know if it is now defunct? 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 16:19 BST (UK) »
I tried to locate a Tullow historical society.  It looks as if there is not one for Carlow.  Do you know if it is now defunct? 

that's not something I've looked into - but if there is anything I'd expect that they would probably show up on Google searches..

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline tomdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 11:51 BST (UK) »
There are baptism /marriage/death registers held in the parish centre in Tullow.You can go in during there opening times and read through the books,
Roche -tullow,co.Carlow...Doyle-graignamanagh co.kilkenny..Bridgetts-graignamanagh,co.kilkenny...O'Brien -tullow,co.carlow

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 January 14 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,found the death of Murrough O'Brien which says he was born in 1802 and he died in South Dublin in 1872. Death certs don't have much in the way of info on them which is a shame. Hope this helps,Kim