Author Topic: Lt. John Cameron, 79th reg/4th garrison battalion - help!  (Read 3049 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Lt. John Cameron, 79th reg/4th garrison battalion - help!
« on: Saturday 04 September 10 12:14 BST (UK) »
I know very little about military matters, consequently am having great trouble understanding this man's career - help!

My information says that in 1806, John Cameron enrolled in Erracht's 79th regiment with the rank of Ensign.  In 1807 he was promoted Lieutenant.  From there, somehow he appeared in the 4th Garrison Battalion which went to Jersey in 1810.  A son, Ewen, was born there; our family records show that another son, Donald Charles, was born there in 1813, but I've been told that the battalion left Jersey in 1812 and we cannot find a baptism for Donald there. 

He seems to have returned to Lochaber after the Battle of Waterloo, but I have no idea where he was in the meantime.

If anyone can give me any information, or tell me where to look, I'd be most grateful.  I live in Australia, so cannot just pop along to the National Archives, sadly!!

Thanks

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lt. John Cameron, 79th reg/4th garrison battalion - help!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 September 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
London Gazette 28 May 1808 - he transfers from 79th Regt to 4th Garrison Btn
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/16149/pages/755

The battalion was in the Channel Islands from the time they were formed in Dec 1806.

but I've been told that the battalion left Jersey in 1812
Not really true.
In 1813, 5 companies (part of the battalion in other words) went to Bermuda where they stayed till 1815. In that year they returned to England then joined the rest of the battalion in Flanders.

The other 9 companies were in the Channel Islands till June 1815 when they left for Ostend in Flanders. After the battalion came together again later in 1815, they transferred to Ireland by Jan 1816.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 September 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that prompt reply, which sheds a little more light on the matter!

Still possible, then, that Donald Charles Cameron was born and baptised on Jersey as per family records.  I'll keep looking!

Is it possible to find out in which company Lt. Cameron served?  Or to trace his military records in any way?

MarieC
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 October 10 11:29 BST (UK) »
I have discovered from searching in the online newspapers that Lt John Cameron was courtmartialled in Bermuda in 1814.  He was found not guilty of the two charges, but was still put on half pay, being deemed an improper person to remain in the battalion!

My question is (and I hope someone can answer this): Does putting someone on half pay equate to putting them into the reserves rather than on active service?  Lt Cameron seems to have returned to Scotland but to have remained on half pay.

Hoping for an answer,

MarieC

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 October 10 15:20 BST (UK) »

My question is (and I hope someone can answer this): Does putting someone on half pay equate to putting them into the reserves rather than on active service?  Lt Cameron seems to have returned to Scotland but to have remained on half pay.

In effect, yes you're right.
Semi-retirement for officers, and in practical terms quite possibly permanent retirement. No longer on service with the regiment.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 October 10 15:36 BST (UK) »
am i right neil that an officer back then could put himself up for half pay if he didn,t fancy his chances if the regiment went to war so was a way for some of them to save them selves for easier times
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk