Author Topic: Thomas Sullivan, County Antrim, birth abt 1790  (Read 3007 times)

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Sullivan, County Antrim, birth abt 1790
« on: Wednesday 02 January 13 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if there are any Sullivan family still in that location or anybody that could help me find his parents.  Thank you.
Mary Cudmore
PEI, Canada

2. At Port Hill, Prince Edward Island, Canada,  on the 15th, THOMAS SULLIVAN , age 96 Emmigrated to PEI from Belfast, County Antrim in 1818.
Notice from the HERALD 23 Dec 1885

1881 Census: Lot 13, Prince, Prince Edward Island 
Thomas Sullivan, 91, farmer, born Ireland, Presbyterian, widowed
Catherine Sullivan
Lived in the household of Henry Phillips 

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Sullivan, County Antrim, birth abt 1790
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 December 14 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Also on Lot 13 1881 is a David Sullivan, born c.1794 in ireland, and most likely a brother.
Thomas named his son David 1824, but not sure if his first born. If so Irish naming pattern could suggest Thomas's father may also have been David 
( 1861 shows six Sullivan four Davids as head of family and two Thomases on Lot 13 )
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1861/Pages/results.aspx?k=lot+13+AND+cnsSurname%3a%22sull*%22

Also something that must be noted here is that most Sullivans in PEI are Roman Catholic whereas these 2 families are Prebyterian
Baptism of David 1824 Richmond Presby https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCXK-7SG
Bapt Mary 1831 Richmond Presby https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCXV-16W
Catherine c.1831 shows on census, but no relation given
Bapt Flora 1834 Richmond Presby https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-12693-8490-67?cc=1827217
Bapt Damian 1838 Richmond Presby https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-12693-7205-36?cc=1827217
Priscilla bapt 1842 not sure if she is theirs.... no mother named https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCXK-7RK

See online you claim a Damaris Sullivan daughter of Thomas Sullivan & Anne Ramsay, an unusual name ...or is that the Damian baptised 1838....closer look it says Damain?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 December 14 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi there:  Thanks for your reply.  There are a lot of misspellings in the census and baptismal documents, as not everybody was educated back then.  However, her name was DAMARIS and there were a few other people in that same area that also had that same name, which I also thought was a different Irish name.  Damien would be more a boy's name and since Damaris was my 4th great grandmother, I can verify for sure that she was FEMALE.

We are most likely looking for a David or Thomas Sullivan family who lived in Antrim in the late 1780's as Thomas would probably have been baptized there.

Thank you again and Merry Christmas to all Irish researchers.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 December 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with exact details on the family but Flora, Damaris & Priscilla would not have been typical Ulster Scots names in that period so perhaps they were names they just heard in Canada.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 December 14 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello aghadowey!  :) Not that it helps the thread at all,...but I suppose they weren't used a lot although how would we really know with so little information on women in that era... but they were used sometimes as I saw a few Damaris, Demeris on the FHS site b. late 1700s and early 1800s  I'd spotted emigrating to U.S. & Canada. I saw some males as Demriss & Demeric as well... I also saw several Priscilla....I'm thinking of Flora as a shortening for Florence?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 December 14 18:40 GMT (UK) »
As I said- not typical Ulster Scot surnames for the period. Florence was really popularised by Florence Nightingale (named for the city of Florence).

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 December 14 20:59 GMT (UK) »
See online you claim a Damaris Sullivan daughter of Thomas Sullivan & Anne Ramsay, an unusual name ...or is that the Damian baptised 1838....closer look it says Damain?

When the transcriber was attempting to verify what the handwriting was on the baptismal certificate, they couldn't make it out and since Damaris is an unusual name, their attempt was "Damain?" thinking that it was something like Damian.  Also, since Damaris' mother was Ann Ramsay, whose ancestors came from Argyllshire, Scotlant in 1770 to Prince Edward Island, the other family names are most likely of Scottish origin. 

Thanks for all the replies.  We hope to visit Ireland next year and hopefully go up and see where Antrim is.  The majority of all my other Irish ancestors are from Waterford and Cork, Cavan etc. 

Merry Christmas

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 December 14 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Lots to see in Belfast now, North Antrim coast (Carrickfergus, Glens of Antrim, Bushmills distillery, Giants Causeway, etc.) a lovely drive so even if you can't find exactly where the Sullivans came from here you're bound to have a lovely holiday  :)

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 December 14 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks and we are looking forward to our Irish trip.  One of my granddaughters was in Belfast a couple of years ago visiting, while she was working in London for a year.  She has red hair that is naturally curly, as she had ringlets when she was a little girl.  They were in a pub and all these tourists came up asking to have their picture taken with her as she was so "Irish looking".  She laughingly told then that she was Canadian but has Irish ancestry on both her mother and father's side.  Prince Edward Island has as many or more shades of green than Ireland, and probably as many redheads (we have four redhead grandkids) and my grandmother was also a redhead from Tallow and I have red hair as well.  With Irish names like A'hearn, Barry, Collins, Costin, Mansfield, Myhan,  Murphy, Power, Reilly, Quinn, and Sullivan, I think we should find a few Irish cousins over on the old sod.   We also have lots of fiddler players and Irish singer songwriters from one end of PEI to the other.  Come play on our Island and you will find lots of Irish cousins.