Author Topic: William John Gilbert: his siblings and his children  (Read 34505 times)

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William John Gilbert: his siblings and his children
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 November 14 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Oh ,also , regards George Douglas. There is a will for him at PRONI as well, where he names his brother Henry in New York, his wife Mary and other brother William  :o)

Regards
Jenni

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 November 14 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, will do.

Offline snaptoo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Mum & Dad on their wedding day 10th October 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
Just bookmarking really at this stage. My head is already spinning  from what little I have read so far!

For your info - James MillEr Killen b, 1815 is my 2x gt Grandfather, but I have yet to work out which of his children I am descended from!!

Will have to come back when I have got a bit of spare time!

snaptoo
RIP Sept 1948-Dec 2016
Deane - Gloucester
Deane - Weston super mare area

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi.  That sounds like an interesting challenge!  I've probably mentioned it somewhere before, but I am descended from two of James Miller* Killen's siblings.  What do you know so far? Which of his children do you suspect?

*(you say E, rather than A?)

For reference:

(Rev) James Miller KILLEN born 25 Oct 1815
m. (firstly) Martha Jane YOUNG on 22 June 1843, and they had:

1. Martha, b. 13 Jun 1846
2. Jane Young, b. c1847
3. James Miller, b. c1848
4. Margaret, b.c1849
5. George Edward, b. 27 Apr 1851

JM Killen m. (secondly) Margaret Rebecca Bryson SINCLAIR on 12 Oct 1853, and they had:

6. Elizabeth Sinclair, b. 6 Oct 1854
7. Jonathan Edwards, b. 8 Jan 1856
8. Blanche Brice, b. 27 Feb 1857
9. Ellen Orr, b. 18 Dec 1858
10. William Wilson, b. 31 Jan 1860
11. Edward Brice, b. 18 Oct 1861
12. Samuel McCausland, b. 4 Sep 1863
13. Albert Ernest, b. 24 May 1865
14. Henry Herbert Sinclair, b. 25 Nov 1866

By the way, a few of the details I posted at the start of the thread are a bit confused, but Rootschat doesn't seem to let you edit your own posts after a while.

Offline snaptoo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Mum & Dad on their wedding day 10th October 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi MF :D

I will have to get back to you, as I was on the point of closing down! But, I have found out so much info over the last 3 months, possibly Martha, but only a possibility. I will enlarge on that next time!

Just a bit of a teaser for you, my initials are B J K D., the K being Killen!!

snaptoo aka snap, snap2 or s2 :D
RIP Sept 1948-Dec 2016
Deane - Gloucester
Deane - Weston super mare area

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
I shall look forwards to that next time then  :)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 21 May 15 06:06 BST (UK) »
I just started doing research on the Killens, so I hope that one of you may be aware of the following connection and be able to offer more information that what I currently possess.  Here is what I have so far:

1.  James McAuley (McCauley) of Ardymaugh married  1846 Ellen (Eleanor) Killen.  He the son of John McCauley, and she the dau of William Killen.  Quest:  Who was this William, then?
2.  John McAuley
2.  James McAuley
2.  Jane McAuley
2.  Sarah Wilson McAuley married to William Adair,school master, died 1912,   son of John Adair.
2.  Edward Brice McAuley
2.  Ellen McIlwaine McAuley
2.  Edward McAuley m.  Annie Martin, probable dau of Moses Martin.
This McAuley family immigrated to Minnesota

With the names of Wilson and Brice, was Ellen Killen somehow related to the Killen family of Ballymena?

Pehaps I just found the answer to my question at world connect and a post made by Ted Marr.
He had the following:  Eleanor Killen was the dau of John Killen and the granddau of John Killen, Sr. by his wife Martha Dool.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 21 May 15 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Certainly it looks like Eleanor McAuley (née Killen) was of these Killens, but she wasn’t the daughter of John M Killen.

I haven't been able to find a will or death notice to add any dates to John M. Killen but I do know his wife was Isabella Ramsay and she died in 1891:

[Belfast Newsletter 28 Dec 1891]
KILLEN - December 25, at 21, University Square, Belfast, Isabella, widow of the late J.M. Killen, Ballymena, aged 86 years.  Funeral Private.

She left a will which is on the PRONI will calendar.  By the various relatives she names we can be sure that her late husband “John M. Killen of Ballymena” was a brother of the Rev. James Millar Killen (1815-1879) mentioned above.  She also mentions her daughter “Eleanor Killen” (not McAuley). 

The will was written on the 27th October 1879, and I guess there must have been sickness in the house, because it turns out Eleanor died on the 13th November:

[Belfast Newsletter 15 Nov 1879]
KILLEN: November 13, at University Square, Belfast, Eleanor, only surviving daughter of the late John M. Killen, Belfast.

Her will was written in 1863 and it mentions her mother “Isabella Killen otherwise Ramsay.”  It also mentions her cousin William McCausland (my gg grandfather) who is described as “my cousin german William McCausland” which I can’t fathom at all, so if anyone else has another reading of ‘german’ I’d be interested to know (he wasn’t German) ... perhaps a shortened form of ‘gentleman’?

So I’m afraid that rules out that Eleanor and I’m at a bit of a loss to think of an alternative.

Do you know when the McAuley children were born?  When did they emigrate? 

According to GRO James McAuley married "Elenor Killen" on the 7th Jan 1846, registered in Ballymena.  I wasn't able to find a marriage notice in the newspapers.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 21 May 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
By the way, how do you know James McAuley was of Glenwherry - is that from the 1846 marriage cert?  Does it also say Eleanor's father was a John Killen (of Ballymena?).

There are Killen connections to Glenwherry by the way.  Eleanor who died in 1879 mentions her interest in land in Glenwherry.  Her uncle, Edward Killen (my ggg grandfather) lived in a house called Glenville in Glenwherry and is buried at Glenwherry Presbyterian Churchyard.

Even if Eleanor Killen who died in 1879 is not the right Eleanor for you I'm interested to know how/why she had a share in land in Glenwherry.  I wonder if there was a connection to the area going back before Edward Killen.