Author Topic: What was an "Irish State Prisoner"?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
What was an "Irish State Prisoner"?
« on: Thursday 30 October 14 09:37 GMT (UK) »
As the descendant of an Irish man who emigrated to New Zealand, I have often wondered which "side" of the issues that he would have stood in regards to Ireland, i.e. supported the British or opposed.  This evening I found evidence that he had given 10 shillings in 1868 for the "Otago Relief Fund for the Destitute Wives and children of the Irish State Prisoners", which may indicate the 'side' which he supported.  However, whilst I have an inkling, I am not 100% certain just what 'side' and Irish State Prisoner would be on.

Is there anyone here who could clarify it for me?  Many thanks in advance.
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What was an "Irish State Prisoner"?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 October 14 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 October 14 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I believe these were Irish prisoners of the British state, i.e. political prisoners. The fund appears to have been set up to enable such prisoners that had been released to return to their homes or go elsewhere.

Read here http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e3g/

I think you'll find that these prisoners were termed Fenians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenian), and were dedicated to the establishment of an Irish republic.

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 October 14 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for that information JustinL.  I'm guessing though by the title of this particular Relief Fund that it was to help the wives and children of those political prisoners, rather than the prisoners themselves, but that's neither here nor there.

Do you think I would be correct in assuming that my ancestor was also dedicated to the establishment of an Irish Republic?  I can't imagine anyone giving money to a cause he or she didn't support, but could be wrong, as he might have been more concerned for the wives and children's plight.

myluck, thank you for those links too  :)
Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 October 14 10:02 GMT (UK) »
You are, of course, right about the fund. And it does, possibly, raise questions about your ancestor's motives. But neither fund was directly financing political activity in Ireland.

To say that your ancestor was dedicated to the establishment of an Irish Republic would suggest that he was directly politically active, which is unlikely, given that he lived in New Zealand. There were many shades of Irish nationalism, and it is impossible to say where your ancestor stood. There are huge voluminous tomes on the subject.

I've browsed through a couple of your posts about this Sinnamon ancestor and see that he came from a Presbyterian background, not a Catholic one.

The Irish Times reports that the surname Sinnamon was rare; there were only four households recorded in the period 1847-64. It is thought to be variant of the surname Cinnamond, which was fairly numerous in counties Armagh, Tyrone and Antrim (49 households). Cinnamond was a probable variant of the Scottish surname Kinninmonth, although I can see little evidence to support that deduction.

Trying to get inside the heads of our ancestors to understand their actions and motives is one of the great fascinations of genealogy.

Justin (an Englishman married to an Irish woman. Resident in Dublin.)