Author Topic: Are any of these family names yours ?  (Read 32942 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Are any of these family names yours ?
« on: Thursday 16 June 05 15:31 BST (UK) »
  ::)
BARBER,   BRIGHT,  BROWN,  CATTELL,  CHAPMAN,  CHURCH,  CLARE,  COLEWELL,  COOPER,  CRUTCHLEY,  DARLING,  DUCKMANTON,  EDGSON,  EMERY,  GILBERT,  HEALEY,  HILLS,  HUTCHINSON,  JAKINS,  LEEDING,  LEVITT,  LOCKWOOD,  MARDLING,  MASSEY,  PENNINGTON,  RICHARDSON,  ROBINSON,  ROOTHAM,  SANSONNE,  SAUNDERS,  SLATER,  SMITH,  TOLE,  WATFORD,  WESLEY,  WINGFIELD,  WILLIAMSON

THEY ALL MARRIED INTO MY MORRIS FAMILY AND CAN BE FOUND ON WEBSITE

www.annieg.fsnet.co.uk
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline pflaagan

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: ARE ANY OF THESE FAMILY NAMES, YOURS ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 23:13 BST (UK) »
A sister (half-sister?) of my grandmother was married to Herbert Morris. Her name was Minnie Rootham. Another sister, Sarah Carter was married to Thomas Morris. I would like to share information with you.

Sincerely,
Pat
Gray, Richardson, Edward, Lily, Oliver, Carter, Rootham, Shaw, Lines, Lambert, Kilby

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas MORRIS & Sarah CARTER
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 16:43 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

Hi Pat

That's great news !!  Here's what I have on Herbert.  Perthaps you could fill me in on Thomas ??

HERBERT EMERY MORRIS was born September 12, 1873 in Spaldwick, Hunts.  Occupation: Horsekeeper on Farm. He married MINNIE ROOTHAM October 10, 1895 in St Mary's Ramsey, Hunts.  She was born 1873 in Holme, Hunts.

They appear on the 1901 Census with family in Ramsey

Their children were:

William Morris, b. 1897, Holme, Hunts.
Doris Ada Morris, b. 1901, Ramsey, Hunts.

You can see them on my website (see profile below)

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline pflaagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 02:25 BST (UK) »
Hi. I don't know much about Thomas Morris other than he married Sarah Carter (another sister of my grandmother) who was born abt 1880 In Holme, Huntingdonshire. They were married abt. 1900. They were living with her parents, John & Elizabeth Carter, in the 1901 census. In this census his birth place is listed as Lincs Parish NK, but in the 1891 census his birthplace is given as Spalding Lincinshire. Both Herbert Morris & Minnie Rootham are in the same household.

Supposedly they had 7 children, but I only know of one - Florence E. born abt 1900 at Ramsey Hunts.

I hope this is of some help to you. Pat
Gray, Richardson, Edward, Lily, Oliver, Carter, Rootham, Shaw, Lines, Lambert, Kilby

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 06:27 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for all that info Pat,  I'll add it to my 'tree', and thanks also for signing my Guestbook

;D ;D ;D

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 10:47 BST (UK) »

Hi Pat.

Had another look at my records, and, of course, Thomas was the brother of Herbert Emery MORRIS.  They married in 1900, had a daughter Florence E MORRIS, and I've found them on the 1901 Census.

So once again, many thanks

;D ;D ;D

Offline pflaagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 06 03:10 BST (UK) »
Hi. I have a copy of the obit. of Elizabeth (Rootham) Carter the mother of Minnie (Rootham) Morris & Sarah (Carter) Morris. It lists Mrs. T. Morris as a daughter & Mr. T. Morris as a son-in-law. Mrs. H. Morris (daughter) was unable to attend through ill-health. There is also a Mr. W. Morris & Bert.

I still haven't figured out if, & how many children Elizabeth had before marriage. John Carter also had some children with his first wife, but 2 or 3 of their children seem to have had the name Rootham which changed to Carter along the way. Only Amos Rootham her son kept his name.

I'm going to attach the obit because you may be interested in other names listed in it. If it doesn't work, please let me know, & I will try again. (I'm using an iMac so it does not always interface with a pc.)

Pat

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 August 06 08:42 BST (UK) »

Hi Pat,

That would be great !  I'll PM you with my e-mail address so you can send me the attachment.

;D ;D ;D

Offline pflaagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 August 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi. The obit is on its way. It's a very old copy as you can tell. The Alfred Gray family from the US listed towards the bottom of the obit were my grandparents - Alice Ann Carter. Minnie was her sister, but I not sure if she was a Rootham or a Carter. The year of her birth was 1873, & the marriage of Elizabeth Rootham to John Carter was 1877. She shows up in both 1881 & 1891 census with the name Carter, but on the FreeBMD marriages she is a Rootham. I'm pretty sure I'm not mixing up two different women. I haven't finished getting to the bottom of the mystery.

Pat ???