Author Topic: Godmanchester Thackrays  (Read 5256 times)

Offline GeorgeX11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Godmanchester Thackrays
« on: Tuesday 13 October 09 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm searching for information on the Thackray family in Godmanchester circa the late 1700s. I know that William Thackray and his 2 sons (George b1756 and Richard b1764) moved down to Godmanchester from Hunsingore in Yorkshire around 1786, but I've no idea why. If anyone has heard of anything relating to this id be very grateful to hear about it. I believe there were Thackrays of a different branch of the family living in the area prior to 1785, as I've found a references to a Ralph Thackwray (along with a john venn) as witnesss at Rev. Joseph Scotts wedding in yelling in 1774 and to him being a gentleman living in Godmanchester in a conveyancing document dated to 1779.  And the other unexplained reference ive found is a John Thackwray who married by license to the widow Ann Stevens(Nee Bradley) in 1784.

Many Thanks

George

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Godmanchester Thackrays
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi George

Welcome to Rootschat!

And the other unexplained reference ive found is a John Thackwray who married by license to the widow Ann Stevens(Nee Bradley) in 1784.

According to Hunts Marriage Index this took place at Alwalton (turn left at Peterborough) in 1783, John was of the parish of Hitchin (Herts). But the BVRI shows the marriage as being on 24 March 1784 at Alwalton. I wonder if the Marriage Index entry is correct as http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/060D09B8-2C5F-4CA4-B677-2C2BEEE42769/0/AllegationsindexS_Y.pdf shows John to be of Godmanchester in the marriage licence allegation.

Ralph Thackwray doesn't appear to have been buried at Godmanchester, or indeed, anywhere else in Hunts that's covered by the NBI.

The name appears in an earlier generation in Godmanchester as there's a baptism on the BVRI on 8 Feb 1738 of Joseph Thackray, son of Joseph & Rebecca. These then seem to drop off the radar screen. There are no Thackeray marriages in Hunts 1701-onwards until the 1784 marriage

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline GeorgeX11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 13:46 BST (UK) »
Well I've got a photo copy of the marriage license for john and ann, and i did look it up in the parish register for alwalton. In the parish register is says he is from Hitchin and on the license it says he is from Godmanchester so thats all a bit contradictory, also the joseph and rebecca entry seems to be one of those little errors that crop up in the igi from time to time. I think it was mistranscribed because there was a joseph son of joseph and rebecca born sometime in the 1800s i forget when exactly, and the parish registers for Godmanchester dont have any trace of the entry from 1738.
There was a william thackeray who appeared as a marriage witness in Godmanchester in 1774, i dont know if this was the same one who moved down to Godmanchester in 1786 or not. The marriage was between Nathaniel Stedman and Ann Sansom, Nathaniel Stedman was the son of a relatively well of miller from Rochester! i dont know know who ann sansom was.

Offline Ann14

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello George

My husband's 4x greatgrandparents were Nathaniel & Ann Stedman, I have been unable to get further back. You say his father was Nathaniel and was a well know miller in Rochester, can you let me know where this information came from - I would be most grateful.

Ann

Offline Fabian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 10 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I am also a direct descendant of the senior Nathaniel Stedman.  There is a great deal of research being done by myself and two other people on this topic.  I have Nathaniel jnr's Will and we think we are about to prove the origin of his father.  I am also part of the Stedman DNA study in which there are a growing number of participants.  My ancestor by the way was James Stedman. the Chemist and Druggist from W Malling and a younger brother of Nathaniel jnr (but probably by a second marriage).

Offline SueR59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 June 12 17:13 BST (UK) »
I have just seen the messages which mention Nathaniel and Ann Stedman. I believe my 4x great grandmother Mary Steadman was a daughter of Nathaniel Stedman. She married James MULCOCK at Dauntsey, Wiltshire in 1783. A Nathaniel Stedman signed the Marriage licence bond and is described as "of Dauntsey". Is this the same Nathaniel Stedman?
I have found a Mary d.o. Nathaniel baptised in Sevenoaks, Kent in 1758 but I'm not sure if this is the right person. If it is, what was the family doing in Wiltshire.
I am also intrigued by the name of his wife - Ann Sansom - as I have an Ann Sansom marrying James MULCOCK's grandfather in Faringdon, Berkshire in 1720. Are they from the same family?