Author Topic: Bo’ness baptisms and marriages in the Scots Kirk in Rotterdam from 1643 to 1809  (Read 2581 times)

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
http://www.scotsintchurch.com/sicarchives/INDEX.htm

The above link  is something experienced researchers of early Bo’ness names may know about but I’m mentioning it to help others who may not have been researching too long and who may not have come across it yet.  I just found it at the weekend when I put Tasker Bo’ness into Google.  I had found the name Tasker connected to my research interest, Lumsdens/Lumsdales in Bo’ness/Carriden and Lanarkshire.

On the website I found births, marriages and a list of member’s names for the Scots Kirk in Rotterdam, many of them connected to Bo’ness.  On one page I found “Borrowstownness” mentioned 24 times.  Lots of well known Bo’ness names are there, like Brown, Cowie, Gibb, Grant etc., even a few Lumsdens/lLumsdales.   I haven’t come across any Sneddons though.

If you are researching James Watchman and Marjorie Hardie for example, you may have found 5 births/baptisms on the Family Search website for the couple in Bo’ness:

Agnes 1693
Alexander 1695
Elizabeth 1697
Thomas 1700
Jean 1703

But there were earlier baptisms in Rotterdam:

Catharin Watchman 14 Nov 1683
James  Watchman  8 Jul1685

If you are researching Lumsdens/Lumsdales in Bo’ness and Carriden I’d be happy to exchange information.
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Interesting alys, I'll have a longer look at that later. Thanks for posting.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Happy to help Seoras.  Here’s another website that contains lists of seamen from Bo’ness who were in the Old Scots Navy from 1696-1699.

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/navy/chap4.htm
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay