Author Topic: Beduel Farm Liskeard  (Read 8285 times)

Offline toekneebee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beduel Farm Liskeard
« on: Monday 04 October 10 18:28 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are any records kept anywhere of the occupants of this Farm in the 1800's. Looking for info on the Moon family who it is believed occupied this Farm at some time in this period.

Thanks

Tony

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Beduel Farm Liskeard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 October 10 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

On the 1851 census there is a William Moon, aged 63, unmarried Farmer of 30 Acres at Beduel (although census does not say Beduel Farm specifically).  He is unmarried and living there with servants, born as Liskeard.

and a John Moon and family at Beduel South, also a farmer, aged 61, of 40 (or 90) acres.
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline toekneebee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this info. I had already seen it in the census records. What I have been trying to do is make a connection with a Moon family member and this farm as one of their children is named Beduel ( also seen this as Bodnel).

Appreciate your time.

Regards

Tony

Offline cm99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 November 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Tony,

I am one of the Moon family. However there are 3 Boduels (note spelling) and several Moon families. I think you are mainly interested in the Moons of North Boduel to which I may not be related.

Boduel Farms
There are at least three Boduel Farms in the area: North, Middle and South (also known as Moon’s Boduel) with as far as I can see 3 different Moon families, but I am not sure how, or if, they are all related.  There is also a connection with Slade and Penhale farms which are adjacent to Boduel.

South Boduel
I am a descendent of Elizabeth Moon of South Boduel (1815-1848) who married John Rogers Moon of Higher Clicker, Liskeard (1815-1886) in 1841. Elizabeth was the daughter of John (1790-1870) and Mary Moon (also nee Moon, of Braddock) (1793-1877). Elizabeth had a brother William (?1816 (bapt. 1 Jan 1817)-1865) who married Honora Rogers Foott (1804-1881) in 1852 and had no children. She was a housekeeper to John Rogers Moon’s father, Joseph, in the 1851 census. In the 1861 census William and Honora were living at Moorswater, near to Boduel.
I think the Moon(e)s at South Boduel can be traced through to a lease of 1664 in which Cornelius Moone leased it on a 99 year term from Jn. Squire of Laneast. I have two further Williams and a John as 18th century ancestors of John, father of Elizabeth, mainly based on wills.

North Boduel
The Moons at North Boduel are well documented by the wills of Philip Moon (1781), Christopher (1770) and Richard (1789). North Boduel is mentioned in Philip and Christopher’s wills and Richard mentions the same family members.
I make Philip Moon, the husband of Isabella Walkom and father of  Philip (surely) Boduel  Moon b 27 Jan 1828 in Dudley, to be the son of Theophilus Moon (1753-1822), 3rd son of Philip Moon (1712-1781) as per Philip’s will proved in 1781. There is an admonission of 28 Sept 1822 to Philip Moon of the goods of Theophilus Moon, yeoman of the borough of Liskeard. There is a baptism of Philip Moon on 23 May 1784 at Liskeard that fits, father Theophilus, mother Ann; marriage 31 Dec 1781 Bodmin. If Theophilus and Ann are father and mother then other brothers and sisters are Ann Cloase (bapt 1805), Christopher (1788), Christopher Sleeman (1805), Harriett (1782), Richard (1786) and William (1790). Philip was an auctioneer (1813-5) or later conveyancer (1825) according to the baptismal records of his other children. Like others I can find no trace of his death. I suggest the Childs in some of his children’s names could be an employer as a Mr Childs was a well known Liskeard lawyer (Pigot’s Directory 1830).

Philip (1712-1781) mentions three sons: Christopher (bapt 1736), Richard (1740) and Theophilus (1753) in his will as well as a daughter, Elisabeth (? 1762) and his wife also Elisabeth.  Richard’s will of 1789 gives a hogshead of cider to Theophilus, mentions brother Christopher and mother Elizabeth as well as sister Elizabeth. Richard seems to have been unmarried and a yeoman.

Christopher (1709-1770) was Philip’s brother and in his will he mentions his wife Mary and daughters, Sarah (bapt 1754) and Elizabeth (bapt 1757). His son John (bapt 1748) does not appear to have survived. It appears that ‘North Boduell ‘was left to Sarah or in the case of her death to Elizabeth.
 I guess Elizabeth to have married Charles Bunt in 1780 as Charles Bunt’s will of 1813 mentions his niece Elizabeth Dyer as a beneficiary and in the 1852 list of Liskeard electors  Charles Bunt Dyer of Amlwch, N. Wales and William Bunt Dyer of Mold, N. Wales held freehold land at North Boduel. (Charles Bunt’s will also mentions two other Moons: William of Horn lane, Liskeard and Ann, widow of Henry Moon of Trewidland.)

Christopher, father of Philip (1712-1781) and Christopher (1709-1770), in his will of 1713 mentions his youngest son Philip and unnamed elder son as well as daughters Sara (bapt 1701), Jane (1698) and Elizabeth (bapt 1706) and wife Sara. As the children were very young he appointed Philip Lyne and John Quiller as guardians and executors of his estate at ‘Bodduell North’. There may be earlier references to North Boduel as I have not checked all available Moon wills.

Middle Boduel (modern North Boduel)
In the Liskeard Tithe Survey of 1842, this is partly leased by William Moon. I take this to be William (1786-1860), brother of John of South Boduel, and who was unmarried in the 1851 census.

I am also a descendant of another Moon family with many Philips who also may be associated with Boduel. Joseph Moon (?176x-1804), grandfather of John Rogers Moon of Higher Clicker, in 1788 married Susannah (1760-1824), daughter of Philip and Susanna Moon who were married in 1743. Joseph and Susannah appear to have lived at Higher Clicker. Philip and Susanna also had two sons named Philip, baptised at Liskeard in 1749, who presumably did not survive, and St Keyne in 1754, as well as others. Higher Clicker  is about 5 km SE of Boduel.

As there were so many Moon families the above is incomplete and some may be incorrect.

Regards
Charlie Moon

Offline toekneebee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 November 10 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Charlie

Welcome to Rootsweb. This is wonderful information for me. I am working on the Moon Tree for a relative in Canada who married a Bilsborough and during my research discovered another Moon over there who is also working on this branch of the Moons. Our Line  which is sourced goes:-

Philip William Moon b1887 Birmingham
Philip Moon b1862 Stourbridge
Theophilus moon b1821 Dudley
Philip Giles Moon (no details of birth) married Isabella mary Walkom.

I will compare your info into our Tree and get back to you. Could I ask if you have sources for it all?

Best wishes

Tony Bilsborough

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 May 11 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Charlie,
I've just picked up your posting of November last year on this family.  I have been looking at this line as a favour for a friend who might be related.
From census records I deduced that John Moon's (1815-1886) wife was Mary Kitty Cowling, who had died before 1851.  This is the only Moon at Higher Clicker from 1841, and the wife's name is M K.  I see you say his wife was Elizabeth.  Do you other info other than the census?  In any event I'm sure my friend would be interested. 
After three postings you can send & receive Private Messages, and then I can let you know who that is.
best wishes
Paul
Plymouth

Offline cm99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 May 11 22:56 BST (UK) »
Paul,
The evidence for John Rogers Moon's wife being  Elizabeth nee Moon is  the Liskeard Parish church register. They were married on 30 Sept 1841. In addition one of their daughters Elizabeth is with her grandparents in the 1851 census at South Boduel. The 1841 census was 6 June and Mary Kitty Moon was John's sister who presumably was his housekeeper. Their father Joseph had remarried.

All this tallies with John Rogers Moon's family bible and inheritance of property.

I am aware that there is a marriage of Moon and Cowling in Liskeard and would be interested in finding out more, but as far as I am aware are not related to the Boduel and Higher Clicker Moons.

Regards
Charlie

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
Charlie,
Thanks for that, and I'm trying to piece it all together.  I had leapt to the conclusion that MK was John R's wife, seemingly in error (as the 1841 doesn't show relationships).

One more post by you and the Rootschat system will let me PM you with the connection of my friend, so if you reply to this we hopefully can be in touch.
cheers,
Paul

Offline cm99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 21:02 BST (UK) »
There are three possible Moon Cowling marriages in Liskeard from Freebmd. The most likely match is in March 1840 when John Moon may have married Mary Cowling

Regards
Charlie