Author Topic: Family name FRICKER  (Read 17846 times)

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
  • under extreme attack but not intimidated
    • View Profile
Family name FRICKER
« on: Wednesday 09 February 11 11:10 GMT (UK) »
On my mother's side,Fricker is the family name.
Two brothers,George and Thos,along with their wives emigrated to the then Colony of Victoria on the Tornado,arriving in Melbourne,September 1856.
I have looked at shipping lists for that period but can only find Scottish voyages of that ship in 1855,
Can anyone tell me where passengers who had lived in St.Mary,Scilly Isles in 1856 would have boarded the Tornado for that voyage to the colony of Victoria ?
I believe the voyage would have taken about 90 days .Can anyone tell me what route the Tornado would have taken ?
Any assistance is gratefully received.
Thank you
phipps1
Yorkshire / Wiltshire / Cornwall / Swansea / Cardiff and districts / Australia / South Africa.

You are invited to search "Surname interests" that I have logged.-Thank you !

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Family name Fricker
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
A quick search of the census indexes shows that a lot of the Frickers seem to come from The Scilly Islands (registered as part of Cornwall)

If you give us some names & dates to work with we may be able to help   :)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Family name Fricker
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Linda,thank you so much for your kindness. I will try to put some names together .
I have packed a lot of my things and sent them back to Australia as I leave P.R. China soon after 11 years here.I will get my brother to open my cartons when they reach Australia and extract the names.
Much obliged to you !
Thank you !
phipps1
Yorkshire / Wiltshire / Cornwall / Swansea / Cardiff and districts / Australia / South Africa.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family name FRICKER
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help. 

I suggest that you start a new thread with the information you find, telling us as much as possible, and what you would like to know.  There's nothing worse than looking things up for someone, then being told I already knew that!   ::) ::)

Hope the move goes well

Linda
SKEATS - Surrey
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Linda, That is great advice,thank you.
I absolutely agree with you about researching then finding the recipient of one's kindness is less than grateful.
I will put together a meaningful name list and a thoughtful information request.It will take time because of my circumstances right now but  I feel sure I can in the fullness of time.
I really appreciate your good will and your great advice to me,a novice.
Thank you also for the move good wishes.
It is a nightmare posting parcels from here.You have to produce everything for inspection by China Post.You cannot seal any cartons yourself nor can you use your own cartons.You also have half of China watching you as you pull things from your carton,have them opened and inspected,then put in other "approved" cartons.Foreigners are street theatre stuff here ! There are 8 million Chinese in this city and 112 foreigners !
Best regards ,

philip

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 February 11 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip

When's the moving date?  Will they insist on checking everything you take with you in the same way as the parcels?

Hope you're not going to any of the parts of Australia that have been suffering from extreme weather lately.  Some of the RootsChatters have been affected but luckily no-one was hurt.

Keep us posted

Linda
SKEATS - Surrey
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 February 11 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,I move at the  end of the academic year which is early July.
I will be too busy with my teaching duties to get all the packing and despatching done after the end of this month,hence the big shift operation I am doing now. I am on winter leave !I have already sent 11 big cartons by air post and they have arrived in Tasmania safely.Another 11 go tomorrow and that is the finish of the bulk sending.
I think Tasmania is clear of troubles but my home state , Victoria has been suffering and Queensland and Western Australia have been suffering two different kinds of disaster,floods and bushfires. Victoria has been having flooding.
I feel for these people very much and I am pleased that none of our members have been hurt.Yes,I will keep you all posted.
Best regards, Philip

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 February 11 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Oh ! I didn't answer one question. I really don't know why China Post insist on checking and re-boxing things the way  they do.You even have to supply your passport everytime-same with banking  if you are a foreigner.
Leaving here,there will be the normal scanning of luggage and body scan and declarations,nothing more than that I think.
Best regards,
Philip

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 February 11 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip,

I've got some FRICKERS in my tree - not directly related, but married into my g-grandmother's ABBOTT family in the Frome area, Somerset.

If you check my web page (link in my signature) and go to "surname list" you should find them - if any names ring a bell, you're welcome to use any of my information.

Regards,

Patricia
Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/