Author Topic: Northcott/Northcote of Lawhitton area 1840  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Lyndley Northcott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Northcott/Northcote of Lawhitton area 1840
« on: Wednesday 05 March 14 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Looking for Birth record and parents of John Henry Northcott (as spelt on his Army record) born in Lawhitton about 1839. He may appear on the 1851 Census, not it's difficult to be sure. He married 1st Annie Gregory (died in India 1857) and 2nd Annie Greenaway. Serven in Militia & Army from about 1854 to 1885. Came to Australia in 1886.

Offline genechaser

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Northcott/Northcote of Lawhitton area 1840
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Name:    John Northcott
born:    Lawhitton, Cornwall, England
Father John Northcott    32
Mother Pracilla Northcott    30
           William Northcott    12
           John Northcott    10
           George Northcott    7
           Thomas Northcott    4
           Elizth Northcott    1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 March 14 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the 1851 Census record. Unfortunately this doesn't show John Northcott's 2nd name. While I think it could be "HENRY" another family tree has the name as"LOSE". Unfortunately, as John Henry's son is named "John Lose Northcott" 1873-1952, there could be a connection. I also found 2 Priscilla Northcotts' on the 1861 Census, one Priscilla (born Lifton abt 1819) married John Northcott, and the other (born Turo abt 1821) married a Henry Northcott. My John Henry Northcott was in the Army in 1861, so won't show at either household.
Also found a John Northcote born abt 1813 married a Jane Loze. Some records for John Henry Northcott show Northcote, including his Queensland Death Certificate, where John Lose Northcott also has his name spelt Northcote. Lyndley.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 March 14 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

Middle names can often be quite tricky to pin down and sometimes baptisms don't show the middle name they use later in life. However, family search has Lawhitton baptisms and after a very quick look (you may want to look in more detail) there appears to be one Northcott family baptising children (including a son John Louis) and they are the John & Priscilla mentioned earlier on the 1851 census.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-13193-65845-82?cc=1769414&wc=M6NF-KWL:138123201,139532401,139532901

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Telinlethaed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where he served (sounds like you have his military records)? A list of children? Did he marry in India? My daughter has a few British India records available to her, and she'd be glad to help you look. This is what she found in a quick glance. I know that it's ten years off your death year, but she thought that it might be worth considering.

As I'm typing, she's taking a quick glance through the records. Doesn't appear that this particular John & Ann Northcott were having babies out there at this time. He must not have served very long out there, or the wife died and he just didn't remarry right away.

Anyway, if you're interested, just let us know what YOU already know, and she might be able to help.

British India Office Records, Deaths & Burials

Name: Marian Northcott
DOD: 19 May 1867
Burial: 19 May 1867 at Cawnpore, Bengal, India
Cause of Death: Scrofulous Enlargement of the Glands of the Belly
Occupation: Daughter of John & Ann Northcott, Drum Major, HM 101st

Name: Ann Northcott
DOD: 09 Jun 1867
Burial: 10 Jun 1867 at Cawnpore, Bengal, India
Cause of Death: Cholera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 March 14 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all,
I'm really looking for Birth record and parents of John Henry Northcott (as spelt on his Army record) born in Lawhitton about 1839-1841.
He's listed in the 1851 Census, and I have his 1st marriage details, 2nd marriage details, his army records, death of 1st wife and child details in India, and his migration to Queensland details in 1885. I've many details of his activities in QLD, until his death in 1897.
I'll like to confirm that John Henry Northcott is the same person that is John Louis Northcott.
Some records for John Henry Northcott show Northcote.
His marriage certificate show Father as John Northcott, but there's no mention of the Mother's name.
His death certificate doesn't show Father of Mother details, and birth as Launceston.
The army records show Lewhitton as his birth place.
NOTE - I'm also interested in finding his 2nd Cornwall Rifles Militia details, as he may have joined at the age of 14 years, and may have served in India before 1859.
Many thanks
Lyndley Northcott.