Author Topic: Goldie Molloney marriage St Johns Barrhead 1863  (Read 2769 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Goldie Molloney marriage St Johns Barrhead 1863
« on: Sunday 06 July 14 10:02 BST (UK) »
Having lots of trouble with "SP" records of Helen Molloney (also Maloney, Moloney etc), but more particularly her husband James Goldie.  Have just found a birth/death of their child Helen Mary Goldie, in 1864/65, the birth telling me that parents Helen Molloney and James Goldie married at St. Johns church Barrhead, Renfrew on 25 May 1863. (Child Helen's death informant was father James Goldie). I am unable to find a Statutory register entry for the marriage (using variations of spellings).  I know that Helen Goldie (Ms Moloney) is in 1871 census as a widow, so husband James Goldie seems to die sometime between 1865 and 1871, but also totally unable to find death records for him. Again, using variations of spelling, but how many variations of "Goldie" can there be!!  All records so far seem to be in the Renfrewshire are (Barrhead Neilston), but have looked Scotland wide. 
Any ideas anyone?

McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Goldie Molloney marriage St Johns Barrhead 1863
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 July 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
Should have mentioned that even though the child Helen's birth gives date and place of parents Marriage (St. Johns Church etc), SP Catholic Parish registers does not give any result at all for the marriage, never mind for St. Johns'.  Records maybe haven't survived.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 July 14 10:41 BST (UK) »
James Goldie & Ellen Moloney, 1863, Abbey Landward, Renfrew.
I searched for surnames that begin with Go & Mo, no forenames, 1861-1865. :)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 July 14 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Weeza,

That was quick!!  I had tried and found so many variations of names, but never thought of just using the first couple of letters.  Lesson learned!  - Will no go and check it out.. wonder if I can find James Goldie's death using that same idea.  many thanks!

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 July 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Weeza,

This is definitely correct marriage, which I have been searching for days! 

Have now tried your Go* variation for a death for James Goldie, but it is driving me crazy - just can't find it.  On re-looking at the child Helen's birth and death, it was actually her birth 1st May 1864 where the father James Goldie is the informant, whereas at the child's death in April 1985, the informant is an unknown  "Robert Small" - presumably a friend or neighbour, - not James Goldie, nor the mother Helen.  So, did James die between 1864 and 1865?  One of those weird ones which "drive you up the wall"!! 

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 July 14 16:06 BST (UK) »
James Goldie, Calico Printer, married to Helen Maloney, Died 25th December 1864, Barrhead, Renfrew. Age 33.
Parents Hugh Goldie & Nora McManus.
Phthisis Pulmonalis (TB). Hugh Goldie, Brother, Present.
No age shown on the index.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 July 14 01:33 BST (UK) »
HI Weeza,

Again, can I say "Wow, Thank you very much".  It is certainly my James.  Did you find him just using a normal search on SP?  I failed to do so, and used plenty of credits in the process lol!! (had also included ones with no age on index.  U certainly seem to have the skill!!

Poor Helen, - it certainly was the days of phthisis - James cause of death, and the 11 month old Helen Mary also died of "Tabes mesenterica" - which if I remember ?? - is a form of "failure to thrive" sort of TB issue?  Child dies in April, then the husband dies on Christmas Day.  Hard days eh?  Our ancestors certainly did it tough.
Again - Many, many thanks
Maggs