Author Topic: Help and advice please  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Moira27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help and advice please
« on: Saturday 16 August 14 01:34 BST (UK) »
When my father died in 2012, I realised that I knew very little about his family. I've tried asking my mother but she has dementia  all she could tell me was that my dad took her to meet his grandfather just before his national service. She said he lived in a cottage at the gates of a cemetery and that he still helped in the running of his family business....it wasn't much but it was a start
My great grandfather was born, wed, died and buried in paisley, with lots of places in between. According to censuses and birth/marriage/death certificates his occupations have been varied and interesting. He has been a coal miner, overman, under manager, colliery manager, chemical manufacturer, furniture remover and a haulage contractor.
Here's what I know...all from certificates
His name was james millar scott, born 4 nov 1875, 77 George street paisley
Parents were william and mary scott, nee millar, married 29 dec 1871 paisley

1881 census
44 blacks town row kilbarchan
William scott age 36, shale miner
Mary scott age 35, wife
Agnes scott age 8
James scott age 5
William scott age 2
Mary scott age 11 months

1891 census
4 Howe street barskiven
William scott age 46, coal miner
Mary scott age 45, wife
Agnes scott age 18, app dressmaker
James scott age 15, coal miner
William scott age 12
Mary scott age 10
George scott age 8
Agnes Craig age 3, niece

1898 marriage 28 October, 2 Thomas street paisley
Groom james millar scott, age 22, bachelor, coal miner, address stonefield blantyre
Bride jemima Stevenson, age 21, spinster, threadmill worker, address 2 Thomas street paisley
Witnesses william scott and maggie Kennedy

Grooms fathers (william scott) occupation fruiterer
I also found a listing in the trades book saying he was fruiterer and confectioner

1901 census
2 howie street paisley
William scott age 56, fruit merchant
Mrs scott age 55, wife
William scott age 22, coal miner hewer
Mary scott age 20, keeper
George scott age 18, tilemaker
Agnes Craig age 13, adopted daughter

After the 1901 census I can find no trace of them, it's like they just dropped off the planet.

My great grandfather was living in blantyre at the time of his marriage.

The 1911 census has him living in calderhead in shotts, his occupation is colliery under manager.

My grandmothers marriage certificate 1924, shows them living in carluke and great grandfathers occupation is colliery manager. Research has shown him to be the manager of castle hill colliery owned by shotts iron company.

My grandmothers brothers marriage certificate 1927, shows them living at fortissat house in shotts. Great grand fathers occupation is still colliery manager.

Great grandfather visited Canada in 1932, the immigration papers show him living 40 greig crescent Armadale and his occupation is chemical manufacturer.

In 1933 he was living 88 south portland street glasgow, his occupation furniture remover.
The 1940s saw him living 17 abbotsford place glasgow, his occupation haulage contractor.

He died in 1956 at home, 148 hawkhead road paisley and buried accross the road in hawkhead cemetery.

One of his sons William scott lived in auchentorlie quadrant in paisley with his wife mary.
I think he died in the early 1970s.

My mother says that william and his sister jemima ran the haulage business along with jemimas husband, walter Menzies muir.

Any input or pointers would be fantastic

Thanks,
Moira

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help and advice please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 16 11:52 BST (UK) »
What specific help are you looking for?
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus