Author Topic: The HONEYS of Sunningwell  (Read 8098 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
The HONEYS of Sunningwell
« on: Monday 04 December 06 12:36 GMT (UK) »
At the moment I am working on my Honey line and I am unsure of some of my data relating to the first half of the eighteenth century Parish Records for St. Leonards at Sunningwell, Berkshire.  The records for this period have not yet been transcribed.  Some of the data for the first two generations below came from the IGI and I am very unsure if it fits, and I may be on the “wrong track.”  Could someone please advise me if I should delete generations one and two below from my research.  If some one could help me to move back a little further it would also be really be appreciated.

Descendants of Robert Honey

Generation No. 1

1.  ROBERT HONEY1

Child of ROBERT HONEY is:
2.i.CHRISTOPHER2 HONEY, b. Abt. 1699; d. Abt. 1756, Sunningwell, Berkshire.

Generation No. 2

2.  CHRISTOPHER2 HONEY (ROBERT1) was born Abt. 1699, and died Abt. 1756 in Sunningwell, Berkshire.  He married MARY STEVENS 18 Jun 1730 in Besseleigh, Berkshire. 

Child of CHRISTOPHER HONEY and MARY STEVENS is:
3.i.JOHN3 HONEY, b. Abt. 1730, Sunningwell, Berkshire.

Generation No. 3

3.  JOHN3 HONEY (CHRISTOPHER2, ROBERT1) was born Abt. 1730 in Sunningwell, Berkshire.  He married ANN GRANT 26 Dec 1749 in Radley, Berkshire. 

Notes for JOHN HONEY:
John's marriage can be found in the Parish Records. Details Dec 26 1749 John Honey and Ann Grant

Details of John's Parents were found on Familysearch.com.
Marriage:  26 Dec 1747  Place:  Radley,Berkshire,England.  This date is incorrect and from the parish records is 1749

The baptism records for Sunningwell have not been transcribed between 1685 and 1740.

More About JOHN HONEY:
Baptism: 08 Aug 1727, Sunningwell, Berkshire

Notes for ANN GRANT:
Record of a burial for an Ann Honey Widow in the Parish records for Radley:
 Details: July 14 1798 Honey Ann Widow age 69

Children of JOHN HONEY and ANN GRANT are:
4.i.THOMAS4 HONEY, b. Abt. 1771, Radley, Berkshire; d. Abt. Feb 1837, Sunningwell, Berkshire.
iiAMES HONEY, b. Abt. 1765, Radley, Berkshire.

More About JAMES HONEY:
Baptism: 28 Jul 1865, Radley, Berkshire

iii.JOHN HONEY, b. Abt. 1762, Radley, Berkshire.

More About JOHN HONEY:
Baptism: 19 Sep 1762, Radley, Berkshire

iv.HANNAH HONEY, b. Abt. 1758, Radley, Berkshire.

More About HANNAH HONEY:
Baptism: 06 Aug 1758, Radley, Berkshire

Generation No. 4

4.  THOMAS4 HONEY (JOHN3, CHRISTOPHER2, ROBERT1) was born Abt. 1771 in Radley, Berkshire, and died Abt. Feb 1837 in Sunningwell, Berkshire.  He married ELIZABETH WEBB 09 Oct 1791 in Sunningwell, Berkshire.  She was born Abt. 1771 in Berkshire.

Notes for THOMAS HONEY:
Marriage at Sunningwell. Details from the Parish Records:
9th October 1791
Thomas Honey married Elizabeth Webb
Witnesses: Samuel Lovegrove and Sarah Warak

More About THOMAS HONEY:
Baptism: 18 Aug 1771, Radley, Berkshire
Burial: 15 Feb 1837, Sunningwell, Berkshire

Children of THOMAS HONEY and ELIZABETH WEBB are:
i.JOHN5 HONEY, b. Abt. Dec 1791, Sunningwell, Berkshire; d. Abt. Sep 1877, Sandford on Thames, Oxfordshire; m. SUSANNAH BUNCE, 07 Nov 1814, Sunningwell, Berkshire; b. Abt. 1791, East Hanney, Berkshire; d. Abt. Apr 1868, Sandford on Thames, Oxfordshire.

ii.WILLIAM HONEY, b. Abt. Jun 1798, Sunningwell, Berkshire; d. Abt. Dec 1877, Stert Street, Abingdon; m. (1) MARGARET KING, 16 Nov 1824, St Helens, Abingdon; b. Abt. 1796, Berkshire; d. Abt. Apr 1857, Stert Street, Abingdon; m. (2) HANNAH HUMPHERIES, 13 Apr 1858, St Helens, Abingdon; b. Abt. 1802, Sunningwell, Berkshire; d. Abt. Jun 1867, Abingdon.

iii.SARAH HONEY, b. Abt. Sep 1796, Sunningwell, Berkshire.

More About SARAH HONEY:
Baptism: 09 Oct 1796, Sunningwell, Berkshire
Christening: 07 Oct 1796, Sunningwell, Berkshire

The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Honeys of Sunningwell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

As somebody with the surname Honey and descended from Edward of Sunningwell I thought I had better reply.   I am descended from Robert[born 21 Aug 1698] who was the brother of Christopher [born 5 Jan 1699 and buried 22 Aug 1756].

I have not researched Christopher but I have communicated with several of his descendents in Australia.   I can confirm Christopher married Mary Stevens in 1730 and the births of 6 of their 9 children are listed in the IGI, including John baptized 24 Jan 1730 - I guess Mary was 3 months pregnant at the wedding.

As far as I can tell, all Honey entries for Sunningwell, certainly to after 1700, are available in the IGI, and all the ones I have checked against the parish register on film have been correct;  as a rule of thumb, if the date of the record is given it has been transcribed from the parish register.   All the records seem to have been submitted by a very thorough church member.  [You can borrow the Sunningwell parish records on film through a Family History Centre of the Mormon Church]

I was very interested in your information.   Edward Honey seems to have been responsible for most if not all of the Honeys that migrated from Sunningwell from mainly 1720 onwards and populated Oxfordshire and Berkshire.   I have a {very} long term ambition to follow the spread of Edward's descendents and your information will amke a valuable addition to my data base.

Best wishes

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your helpful reply colin. Much appreciated.

If you go to:

http://andy-cadman-fh.rootschat.net/honeys.htm

you will discover my latest findings on my honey line.

I would really appreciate your comments particularly on my early Honeys.

Best Wishes,

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 06 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

I have had a brief look at your web site.   It is very impressive.   It will save me substantial amounts of time.   I had started entering the Radley Honeys into my data base but not yet those from Sandford.   I had not realized how substantial the Honey presence had been in these two villages.

I have had another look at the IGI and it transpires that the entries for Honey in Sunningwell have been extracted from local records by LDS.   If you visit IGI you will probably be able to fill in most of your Honey connections [I am not sure if they are all there because parts of the parish record I saw were unreadable].

I found the text of the Sunningwell register prior to about 1600 difficult to translate, but I am fairly certain that the earliest Honey entry is the baptism of Alce father Edward in 1618.   [Thereafter, there was a strong Honey presence in the village for 400 years but I believe that the last Honey left the village fairly recently.]

I have looked for the baptism or marriage of Edward in many of the surrounding villages without success.   I suspect that Edward could be the son of Edwarde Hony born in Twyford in 1573 - there are also entries for Honey in the parish registers of the local villages of Binfield and Bisham about this time.   One thought is that the Honeys migrated up the Thames from Kent, and possibly before then from France.

I would be very grateful for any information on the Honey/Hony/Honye/Hunny name in Berks, Bucks, and Oxon between 1540 and 1620.

Best wishes

Colin

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 06 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Dear Colin,

Very pleased that you found my web page of interest. It contains all the Honey information that I have at the moment.

I will keep you posted of any further developments.  Please keep in touch - you can E-Mail me via the home page of my web site.

Many thanks for the extra information. Does the Honey name originate from France?
Do you know any more about were they originally came from?

Best Wishes,

Andy

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 December 06 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Further to the details at the top of this page I have gone back a little further but have found counflicting dates.  Could you please tell me if the following is going on the right lines:
Generation No. 1

1.  EDWARD2 HONEY  (EDWARD1)
Baptism: 02 Jun 1624, Sunningwell, Berkshire

Child of EDWARD HONEY is:
2.   i.   WILLIAM3 HONEY, b. Abt. 1626, Sunningwell, Berkshire.

Generation No. 2

2.  WILLIAM3 HONEY (EDWARD2, EDWARD1) was born Abt. 1626 in Sunningwell, Berkshire.  He married ELIZABETH CLEMENCES 21 Nov 1650 in Sunningwell, Berkshire. 

More About WILLIAM HONEY:
Baptism: 24 Dec 1626, Sunningwell, Berkshire

Child of WILLIAM HONEY and ELIZABETH CLEMENCES is:
3.   i.   ROBERT4 HONEY, b. 1664.

Generation No. 3

3.  ROBERT4 HONEY (WILLIAM3, EDWARD2, EDWARD1) was born 1664.

Children of ROBERT HONEY are:
4.   i.   CHRISTOPHER5 HONEY, b. Abt. 1699, Sunningwell, Berkshire; d. Abt. 1756, Sunningwell, Berkshire.
   ii.   ROBERT HONEY, b. Abt. 1698, Sunningwell, Berkshire.

Many thanks,

Andy

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The HONEYS of Sunningwell
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 December 06 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

Your dates are correct.   But just to give you more detail, the following are all available in the IGI and are quoted as have been extracted from local records.   From my reading of the parish records, I consider them all to be correct.

Edward born 2 Jun 1624
Willia     born 24 dec 1626
             married Elesbath Clemanes 21 Nov 1650
Robard  born 25 Nov 1664
Robert   born 08 Jul 1694 father William
Robert   born 21 Aug 1698 father Robert
Christopher born 05 Jan 1700
Christopher's burial was submitted by a church member as 22 Aug 1756 - this is almost certainly correct.

My thoughts on where the Honey's originated are speculation based on the observation that all of my ancestors up to about 1850 lived either close to the Thames or worked at water mills linked to the Thames.   I would think that the Thames must have been a major highway in those days, could our ancestors have migrated up the Thames from Kent where there are quite a few Honey's recorded from about 1560?

Thoughts of earlier origins are based on a reference I have lost track of which suggested that an earlier spelling was of French origin.   Coincidence - there is a significant number of Honeys in Kent and Devon/Cornwall in the 1500's - did they come across the channel?   An alternative suggestion is that honye is linked to making, presumably beeswax, candles.

Anybody else's speculations or information very welcome.

Best wishes,

Colin

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 December 06 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the confirmation Colin.

Will we ever know were the honeys came from for sure?

Perhaps someone out there can tell us.

Best Wishes,

Andy

Offline Daryl_P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 March 07 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I don't have anything to add other then to say thanks for sharing and please post anything further you may find on the Honey family.  I exchanged what information I had about my Honey family of Lambourn, Berkshire with Colin a while back but I think he already had most of it.  Clearly my group ties into the Sunningwell branch of the family but you are miles ahead of me in research and I will need to retire in about a decade before I can do further detailed research on the family.  My Ambrose Honey left Lambourn and came to the United States about 1861.   
In England - Honey, Mace, Steptoe, Tull, Greenyer, Ayres, Walker

In USA - Polley, Thacker, Ford, Carey, Applegate, Spriggs, Peacock, Morgan, Caudill, Coyle, Robiinson, Boone...