Author Topic: A Mission to find a PILGRIM  (Read 13375 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: A Mission to find a PILGRIM
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 February 14 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hold on let me clarify this
Joseph 1833 brother of John 1835 sons of Thomas and Charlotte nee Fassett
John married Louisa and Joseph married a Caroline and had a Joseph in 1881 This younger Joseph was the grandson of Charlotte's mother Mary
but Charlotte is married to John's son Albert
So Charlotte was her husband Albert's cousin
Is that correct
So if Joe 1881 is son of Joseph(1833) and Grandson of Mary Herridge/pilgrim (1826)mother of Charlotte How do Mary Herridge 1825 and Albert Pilgrim relate ???
But why was Mary using Herridge in 1901 and why did Charlotte marry as Herridge then Pilgrim forgeting her first married name Gilbert?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 February 14 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the addresses where the family I have the following:
John and Louisa were living in Bosier Square in 1871
1871 Elizbeth Clements at 6 Brook Street with Thomas and Mary Silver andAlfred John son of John and Louisa
1876 May  Joseph Henry born
1876 Aug Joseph Henry died in Coley Street
1876 Oct Charlotte age 83, John's mother died Coley Street
1877 Jul Elizabeth Clement (Mary Silver & Louisa's mum ) died  from Brook Street
1877 Sep qtr before 2 Sep(bap) Ernest Andrew born
1878 Nov  John died Brook Street
1879 Aug Ernest died Brook St
1879 Sep Thomas father of John died age 80 Coley Street
1881 Thomas Silver died Brook Street 1881 he was living at 21 Brook St in 1881 with Mary and Thomas and George sons of John and Louisa
1881 Thomas and Susanna Smith at 32 East Street Thomas 1835 from Cheivley
1881 Susanna Smith died
1882 Mary Silver nee Clements married Thomas Smith
1887 Mary Smith(Silver/Clement) died East Street

How close were Coley Street, Bosier Square and Brook Street please I can;t see them on maps

mcmullin.me.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 February 14 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Coley Street and Bosier square went when the centre of Reading was redeveloped. If you look on oldmaps.com you can see them on the 1879 town plan. Coley street was parallel to Coley place which still exists and has probably become the A379. Bosier square was between them and Coley street led in to it. Not found Brook street yet.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 February 14 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Found Brook Street on Oldmaps now. It's south of Coley Street and slightly east, Brick Street West on modern map is part of old Brook Steet. Modern Wolsely street was called Brickfield terrace, so the area must have been where brickmakers lived.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 February 14 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Great am I right to think its the area arround the RO? I made several visits there last autumn.I think the R O was near the junction of Coley Avenue and Castle Hill

added brothers Joseph Pilgrim and John were indeed a brickmakers.

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 February 14 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I thought it must be Louisa left widowed with the Children that made her enter them in the district school but William died in the school just before his father died So did Louisa die having Ernest leaving John with a young family he could not cope with, it seems a possible scenario but if so where is Louisa's death registered?

mcmullin.me.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 February 14 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Instead of Louisa dying following birth of last child, maybe she was ill or had a breakdown. You suggested earlier a possible explanation was that she had been admitted to an institution. The asylum for Berks would be the one between Cholsey and Moulsford (later called Fairmile). No sign of her in 1881, all patients listed by names not initials as is sometimes the case. Nor no obvious burial in Cholsey churchyard (according to FindMyPast) which is where patients would be buried if no family to have them buried in their home town. However if she was in an institution with poor record keeping, her death and burial might be registered incorrectly.
An extraordinary coincidence: I was drawn to this thread because some of my ancestors on my father's side (Annetts) were in Reading and a Mary Moss married into the family. A Mary Moss was also a witness to a Reading Pilgrim wedding. But I realised that it wasn't the same one as my Mary Moss was married when the Pilgrim wedding took place so would be Mary Annetts by then. However looking at your Kingston, Surrey Pilgrims / Herridges, I find that Leonora Blanche Pilgrim (daughter of Mary Pilgrim /Herridge and sister of Charlotte) married Samuel Stride a fisherman of Christchurch, Hants (now Dorset. He is the son of George Stride and Matilda Fry, a family I have been trying for years to link with my Strides of Christchurch (my mother's relatives) but need to get back at least one more generation.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 February 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow what a coincidence. Do you know which Pigrim marriage she was witness to It may be someone on the tree too.
A tree on An..ry has the death of John Pilgrim in the Wantage Workhouse dying of meningitis. Now that information must be from his death certificate I have written to ask the owner if he/She will share the information . Anyway we know he was buried from Brook Street where the Silvers were in 1881 and where the 2 year old was buried from. I wonder if John was in the workhouse infirmary because of the meningitis or was he already there for some other reason...lack of employment chronic sickness etc. We know the three boys went to the District School before 1878 did John go to the workhouse then I wonder. Is there a record of when people entered the workhouse anywhere? I haven;t come across one before but I wonder that would be useful wouldn't it? Was it the Silvers who buried John and little Ernest? they kindly looked after George and the older two boys so I am feeling warm to them so sad that Thomas Silver also died in 1881.

mcmullin.me.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 February 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
The marriage was James Pilgrim to Susan Seymour on 18 Aug 1857 at St Giles, Reading. His father was John Pilgrim. I believe he was born in Windsor, although where I can definitely track him on census post marriage, in one case he says Mortimer (Mortimer common?). Susan is consistently Mortimer in several censuses, so I think Mortimer for James is an errr when the enumerator copied the householder's list. James was 29 at time of marriage, Susan was 31. Neither had been married before. The best match for Mary Moss is wife of William Moss, living in Reading St Giles in 1851 and 1861 and also born Mortimer. Similar age to Susan. Not sure now she is related to my Mary Moss.

I would be surprised if a Reading resident was in Wantage workhouse, I thought they usually had to go in to the one which served their own parish.
Also death was registered in Reading district not Wantage district. Death should be registered in district it took place even if that is not the district where the deceased usually resided.

There was a post some time ago about Wantage workhouse records

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=84353.0
looks like they would be available at BRO.

There are several people on GR who have both Louisa Clements and John Pilgrim with correct years of birth in Reading. If you have a sub or know someone who does they might have more information.