Author Topic: RAF 199 Squadron  (Read 5550 times)

Offline PatOC

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAF 199 Squadron
« on: Monday 20 June 11 10:06 BST (UK) »
Greetings from a 'brand new' New Zealand memeber.  I am reseraching the flying history of my Uncle, Flight Lieutenant Kevin Bernard O'Connor, who was killed on March 4 1944 when the Stirling bomber he was piloting crashed in France.  I have been able to put together an amazing amount of information on him, and visited his grave outside Dijon two years ago.The two remaining areas of information I need are the Operational Record Books  (ORB) for 199 Squadron for the period August 1943 to April 1944, being the time my Uncle was with 199.  I also understand that there may be a record of the Pilots report after each completed mission, which I would really like.  I have unsuccessfully tried the National Archives UK website, but drawn a blank.  This may be because my Uncle was with the RNZAF.  Any help would be really appreciated.  PatOC

Offline phredau

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: RAF 199 Squadron
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 February 14 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
Like your uncle, my father flew Stirlings and the Halifax with 199 squadron in ww2. He originally flew Hurricanes in 1941 before being transferred to Bomber Command 199 squadron in late 1942.
My Dad did not talk much about his war experiences but I vaguely remember him saying that he had a kiwi crew members on some of his raids and that kiwi was "Kevin". He flew in raids on Pennumde as well as multiple trips to Berlin and other targets in Europe. The only war diary I have is about a raid on Turin.I do not know if this was your uncle or not as I have only one of his raid diaries. My Dad won the DFC for action after a raid on Berlin after which he was "Adminsterated out" after 19 missions and sent to a training squadron.
He then applied to be sent back to the RAAF in Australia, which was granted, He then flew combat misions with the RAAF, before in their infinite wisdom, that decorated combat pilots should fly transports. he then flew Dakotas over the Pacific region. He was also the first Australian pilot to fly into Hiroshima after it was bombed

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phredau,

Welcome to RootsChat :) Pat is having problems with his emails at the moment but just messaged he to tell him of your new reply.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daleman224

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
To - PATOC
Hi.  I have just had a book published that is the complete war diary of 199 squadron. It is called "Let Tyrants Tremble" and can be obtained from Stenlake Publishing 54 - 58 Mill Square, Catrine, KA5 6RD, Scotland, UK. It is hardback, 224PP, 75 illustrations. Price £30-00 + postage overseas, UK postage is free. ISBN No. 9781840336047. I may be able to help with ORB copies.

Offline Gazzapop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 15 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from a 'brand new' New Zealand memeber.  I am reseraching the flying history of my Uncle, Flight Lieutenant Kevin Bernard O'Connor, who was killed on March 4 1944 when the Stirling bomber he was piloting crashed in France.  I have been able to put together an amazing amount of information on him, and visited his grave outside Dijon two years ago.The two remaining areas of information I need are the Operational Record Books  (ORB) for 199 Squadron for the period August 1943 to April 1944, being the time my Uncle was with 199.  I also understand that there may be a record of the Pilots report after each completed mission, which I would really like.  I have unsuccessfully tried the National Archives UK website, but drawn a blank.  This may be because my Uncle was with the RNZAF.  Any help would be really appreciated.  PatOC

Offline Gazzapop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 October 15 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Was kevin o'connor from wellington and did he train in canada

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 October 15 17:43 GMT (UK) »
From Waipawa.

Att RCAF 30 December 1941, 3SFTS 2 January 1942, awarded Pilot's Badge 24 April 1942, 1 Y Depot, Halifax 5 May 1942.

DTD

Offline Gazzapop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RAF 199 Squadronkmym
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 November 15 00:56 GMT (UK) »
My father also trained in canada on the same course. Kevin  o'connor pat boyle and cliff pockson alltrained together and were close buddys. My dads personal diary makes plenty of mentions of all three. We also have  great photos of  kevin and cliff. Cliff was shot down by mistake by an allied aircraft.
  01 04 1944

Offline Gazzapop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Dtd waipawa. Are you related to pat boyle