Author Topic: Army medical grades WW2  (Read 4399 times)

Offline Davy Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • David Wright Smith c1942
    • View Profile
Army medical grades WW2
« on: Tuesday 14 October 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
My father was discharged from the Army in 1930. In January 1940 he went back in as a Territorial. His medical grade was B6. I was sure that his grading meant that he was only fit for sedentary duties!
He went into the R.A.S.C. and was posted to France in early 1940. He record states he was a driver and donor/despatch rider. He was at Dunkirk and  eventually got back to Great Britain.
I know that during his first period in the Army he was.a First Class rifle & pistol shot. I also know that he could drive both a motorbike and a lorry before he went back into the Army.
What I wanted to know is : Was he posted to France or did he volunteer?
Can anyone give me a clue, please?
David
Smith-Kirkburton
Hill-Kirkburton
Lockwood-Kirkburton
Shaw-Kirkburton
Webster-Kirkburton
Turner-Northowram
Binns-Northowram
Cobb-Hemingbrough
Wilson-Leeds/Halifax

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
Re: Army medical grades WW2
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
What unit did he go to France with in 1940?

I suspect the only people that volunteered of sorts to go to France in 1940 were the odd officers who pulled a few strings to get attached to units through friends as liaison officers and other ad hoc rolls. In 1940 the Army wasn't really a democracy like it is today. Staff officers would have just seen units on paper rather than individuals and sent units overseas, if you was in that unit you went. There will always be the odd exception to the rule and I know of a couple of units that should have been made up of volunteers for special duties but in the main the 350,000 odd men that went to France didn't have that much of a say in the matter.

Offline Davy Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Drew5233,
Sorry about the late reply! Age, illness and mislaying my father's Army record doesn't help.

I erred on his medical grade, it was B7? It appears he went to join the BEF with 223COY RASC & a week later was with 4L of C M T coy up until Dunkirk. His next posting was in August 1940 after he returned back home.
The medical grading was what made me think he should not have gone to France/Belgium but I think that senior officers did not give a damn and just wanted bodies over there.

Thank you for your response as that has made things a lot clearer and my apologies for the delay
David
Smith-Kirkburton
Hill-Kirkburton
Lockwood-Kirkburton
Shaw-Kirkburton
Webster-Kirkburton
Turner-Northowram
Binns-Northowram
Cobb-Hemingbrough
Wilson-Leeds/Halifax

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 13:21 GMT (UK) »
The Only 223 Company in France during 1940 according to my records was a Royal Engineer Field Company. That said he could have been attached as a RASC Driver, that isn't unusual. 4 LOC Company didn't arrive in France until April 1940 so he could have been transferred to make up their numbers.

I have both war diaries and will check for you if there's any clues. Do you know the dates he was with both units?

Offline Davy Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 November 14 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.
My Dad's record shows he is with 223 Coy on 10-3-1940 as a driver with the RASC. The next thing that shows is that he is with 4 l of c MT Coy and he has been promoted to Acting unpaid Lance corporal on 6-4-1940. on the same day he is confirmed as Acting Lance corporal. On 7-5-1940 he is appointed unpaid acting corporal. On the same day he is appointed acting corporal paid.

After reading, and writing, all that I find at the bottom r/h corner his Military History Sheet which shows he was posted abroad on 21-4-40 until 29-4-40 and then he has a home posting for the rest of the war. I believe though he went to Northern Ireland for a spell
The reason I wondered about his volunteering for abroad was that he suffered from severe flat feet, varicose veins and chronic bronchitis. From my three years in the Army I know of men who were medically discharged because of any of the above problems
Thanks again Drew5233

David
ps The picture on my page is of my Dad.
Smith-Kirkburton
Hill-Kirkburton
Lockwood-Kirkburton
Shaw-Kirkburton
Webster-Kirkburton
Turner-Northowram
Binns-Northowram
Cobb-Hemingbrough
Wilson-Leeds/Halifax

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 November 14 08:52 GMT (UK) »
My partners Grandfather served through the war but wasn't allowed to deploy overseas because he had Asthma. There's all sorts of reasons why some would stay in and some wouldn't. Do his records contain his medical details? If there is one and some of those conditions are not mentioned then that could be why he stayed in. There is a X List system of rating soldiers fitness on service records which would determine whether they could serve overseas. This is normally mentioned on the sheet that lists the postings - I don't know what the different categories are though off the top of my head.

Offline Davy Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 November 14 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Drew5233,

I have just re-read last night's message. I made a mistake with the dates. He was in France/Dunkirk until the 29-5-1940.
I will check tonight to see if his medical details are included!

Thanks

David
Smith-Kirkburton
Hill-Kirkburton
Lockwood-Kirkburton
Shaw-Kirkburton
Webster-Kirkburton
Turner-Northowram
Binns-Northowram
Cobb-Hemingbrough
Wilson-Leeds/Halifax

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 November 14 13:02 GMT (UK) »
No probs - Just let me know what unit and the start and finish date with that unit whilst with the BEF in France and I'll see what I can find for you ie:

5th Knife Fork and Spoon Regiment 22nd March to 5th May 1940

3rd 3 Course Meal Regiment 5th May to 28th May 1940

And so on....

Cheers
Andy

Offline Davy Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 November 14 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Good evening Andy. I have looked again at the records.on Part 1V of his enlistment they have made him Grade A2 Feet. This is on the day of his enlistment. On his Army Form B200b at the top of the page Med Cat A2 has been crossed out and below in the 'Service towards limited engahement reckons from' his Med Cat has been adjusted to B7.

I have scanned the Form B200b and have attached it, hopefully, to this message.

I know I'm getting boring but, thanks again.

By the way I notice you are in Leeds. My family are all from Yorkshire and, although my maternal grandfather was born in Halifax, the rest of my Wilson ancestors were from Leeds and I have got back as far as 1800 and they were all baptised, married at St Peter's, Leeds Parish Church.

David

ps The attachments wouldn't go through. If you want to contact me at dave5mithorama@gmail.com I will send them that way.
Smith-Kirkburton
Hill-Kirkburton
Lockwood-Kirkburton
Shaw-Kirkburton
Webster-Kirkburton
Turner-Northowram
Binns-Northowram
Cobb-Hemingbrough
Wilson-Leeds/Halifax