Author Topic: Henry Poole, born 1799, Stalbridge  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Dunbrack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Poole, born 1799, Stalbridge
« on: Thursday 24 April 14 23:26 BST (UK) »
In 1833, Henry and Catherine Poole were living in Lance Cove, Trinity Bay, Newfoundland. It's highly probable that Henry came to Newfoundland from the West Country -- family sources say Dorset or Devon. Church records suggest a birth date in the 1790s (there are conflicting dates in the documents). My online search turned up few candidates, but Henry Poole, born in Stalbridge in 1799, is intriguing. Henry's parents were George and Jane Poole. He had a brother Samuel and a sister Charlotte. I know these are common names but all of them are prominent in subsequent generations of my family. Does anyone know what became of this Henry Poole? Is it possible that he emigrated to Newfoundland? Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Poole Dorset Devon Somerset Newfoundland

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Poole, born 1799, Stalbridge
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 April 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism for a Henry Poole, Stalbridge, parents George and Jane 24th March 1799. Also a Charlotte Poole born, 1802 parents George and Jane, marrying  William lemon in 1821 Stalbridge.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Dunbrack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Poole, born 1799, Stalbridge
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 April 14 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I've managed to find several records for the family. But what I can't find is any record of Henry Poole other than the baptism document that you found. I've found no record of a marriage or death and he does not appear to have been in Dorset when the 1841 census was carried out. So where did he go? Maybe someone has an idea about what records I can look at to see whether he was engaged by one of the Poole merchant firms (possibly the Slades?) that were involved in the Newfoundland Trade.
Poole Dorset Devon Somerset Newfoundland