Author Topic: A 30+ year brickwall - William Vaus?  (Read 14158 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: A 30+ year brickwall - William Vaus?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 February 14 13:24 GMT (UK) »
William & Elizabeth Francis were married in Itchingfield.
The Land Tax Redemption for 1798 (on Ancestry) shows William Vaus occupying land in Shipley belonging to Samual Blunt Esq.  The amount paid was in excess of 20 pounds, so quite a considerable holding.  Might this have been William son of William who died in 1796?

It might be a good idea to explore a little into the Sheffield side of the family.  Perhaps there is a will of Elizabeth's father naming grandchildren?

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 February 14 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane:

William Vaus had a son (grandson and greatgrandson) named William Vaus.  His son was married in Shipley in 1794, died in 1839 and is on a Shipley burial page, but his "abode" at the time of his death was Horsham.  (Grandson William Vaus was the one who married into the Cooper/Parker line mentioned in a previous thread.)   ;)

Thank you for the suggestion of exploring the Sheffield side.  I will do that.   :)

I am still getting acquainted with Ancestry records; I had not yet seen the tax redemption records.

Thank you so much for your assistance.  This means so much to me.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 February 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Some 1785 Land Tax info

William Vaus occupied land owned by Samuel Blunt Esq in the Southwater, West part of Horsham. The rental was £3 10s.

John Vaus owned Church Farm in Itchingfield Rental £6 10s.
John Vaus occupied lands called Newhouse owned by Richard Dendy in Itchingfield. Rental £10 10s.
John Vaus occupied lands called Bashurst owned by John Shelley Esq in Itchingfield. Rental £21.

George Vaux owned lands in Rusper occupied by James Chapman. Rental £25.

In Shipley there us a William Vans(mistranscribed Vaux?) occupying land owned by Samuel Blunt Esq. Rental is £104 13 4d.

The following Vaus headstones are at Shipley

James son of William & Sarah died 16th Nov 1799 aged 8 months.

Elizabeth wife of Joseph Vaus died Nov 16th 1829 aged 26 years.

Double Headstone
Sarah wife of William Vaus who died March 21st 1811 aged 35 years.
William Vaus who died June 1st 1839 aged 78 years.

Double Headstone
William Vaus who died 1796 aged 77 years.
Betty his wife who died March 1797 aged 69 years

Elizabeth daughter of William & Sarah

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 February 14 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant Sean  :) Now Lisa has a rough birth date for this William Vaus.
Lisa, I have fiche of the pr's for Horsham (baptism's & burials) up to 1811 also Nuthurst up to 1812, Rusper & Warnham.  Often there's an extra piece of info on the entry such as where they lived or an occupation which wouldn't find its way onto an entry in Familysearch.  Let me know if you want anything looked up,

Jane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 February 14 16:29 GMT (UK) »
My "newest" computer died a couple of months ago.  We got my old "always crashing" computer to start again.  It still crashes, but at least it works sometimes.  My apologies for not replying after each post.  I really appreciate the lookups, suggestions and help.

I have to leave for work in a couple of minutes, but I do want to acknowledge Sean's findings and Jane's continued help.

While a distant relative and I knew of one headstone in the churchyard, we didn't realize there were more!  There is a good likelihood that we have found the correct William "Naice" who was baptised in 1718.  Also, the year of birth for Betty leads me to believe I may have the correct Francis family as well.

Jane, I may take you up on your offer of help.

Thank you both so much!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 February 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Lisa

If you need anything checked on the Shipley registers I can do that next time I go to the West Sussex RO, I can also see if there any more wills for your Vaus family.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 February 14 19:08 GMT (UK) »
On a break at work - typing quickly   ;)

"Double Headstone
William Vaus who died 1796 aged 77 years.
Betty his wife who died March 1797 aged 69 years"
   - William would have been born c1719
   - Betty would have been born c1728

"Christening
William Naice or Vais.  27 Aug 1718, Nuthurst.  Father John Naice or Vais.  Mother Elizabeth"
   -  This could be "my" William, then.

Several years ago, someone was helping me with Newman/Francis information.  It includes the possible parents of Betty:
Bettie married John Francis on 23 May 1725 in Shipley
Betty and John had three known children (baptism dates):  Sarah 1727/28, John 1730/31, William buried 1737.
We don't know if Bettie/Betty was a fourth child, or possibly was actually Sarah.  Or, perhaps this isn't the correct family!

Jan, I have a will for William Vaus (grandson of William Vaus 1718-1796); I didn't see it in my Vaus binder.   ???   This Will was born in 1797 and died in 1846.  He was a corn dealer of Walworth Road.  I have not found a will for William Vaus (1761-1839).

Question:  William Vaus' will (1796) refers to property in Shipley, etc.  Since the Vaus' were occupying land (referenced in this thread), does it mean that the "property" in the will was not on Vaus property, but rather on "rented" property?  (I hope that makes sense!!!)

Thank you all so much...back to work.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 05:30 GMT (UK) »
It depends on how it was worded on the will, 'leasehold, copyhold or freehold' but my impression is that William rented the land/property from the owner,

Jane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 February 14 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the absence - real life got in the way of researching.   ;)  Thank you for replying, Jane.

copied from the will (I can't make out all of the words - guessing with some):
"...son John Vaus all that my freehold messuage? or tenement sand? garden and ____ and all appurtenant tenements belonging(?) situate lying and being at Monks(?) Gate in the parish of Nuthurst and now in the ? or occupation of Tho. Halloway..."
"...daughter Elizabeth...and my son William Vaus all that my copyhold messuage? or tenement garden and premises and all appurtenant throunts? belonging situate lying and being at Brooks Green in the parish of Shipley aforts? and now in the tenure? or occupation of Tho Cullett? jointly between them..."
"...son Thomas Vaus all that my freehold messuage? or tenement garden and premises and all appurtenant throunts? belonging situate lying and being in the parish of Shipley aforesaid? and now in the tenure? or occupation of Thomas Baron..."

Near the end of the will he mentions the corn cattle husbandry sentence that I quoted earlier in the thread.

So now I'm confused.  Perhaps he was only referencing his property that was located on someone's land?

Any explanations greatly appreciated.    :-[  Thank you.