Author Topic: Blyth shop 50s/60s - "Golightly's"  (Read 15990 times)

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth shop 50s/60s - "Golightly's"
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi PH  Sorry , I was just agreeing that all the info you gave in that thread was correct, diden't mean to include the "Golightly " part was answered.
                                        I stand corrected !

I actually dont think there was,  in my 78 years anyway..a business called Golightlys .
                                        Dolly.
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
OK, I understand now, no need to apologise.

I love these little teasers popping up. Gets the little grey cells doing some overtime!

Off topic, but on a Facebook group someone has posted an image of all the Tailors from the town. I don't know if there was a Tailors Guild. I was able to tell the owner of the photo that the picture was posed outside the front door of Cowpen Hall. There are some real gems popping up out there on the WWW these days. A shame there is no 'central' point for all these to be posted to when they come to light. Though of course I am posting the best stuff I have to my Flickr page as per the photo of Sep Mole's bicycle shop in the link I provided.

;D
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 11:04 BST (UK) »
Lovely photo Phil H. - I wonder when Sep. Mole's moved to Havelock St. ? He was certainly there when I was young, and his son Peter was in my class at school.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 12:13 BST (UK) »
Septimus and his brother Thomas were both enthusiastic cyclists in their young day. During the 1890s Thomas was making bicycles at his Cowpen Quay works and Sep joined him in the business in 1901. I assume this would have been the Station Street works that Thomas had.

By 1908 Sep had his own bicycle shop, the one we saw in the Central Hall at Waterloo. Prior to WW1 Thomas moved from Cowpen Quay to Regent Street.

Thomas had two addresses in the 1921 Trade Directory, 3 Station Street, Cowpen Quay and also 5 Regent Street, Cowpen Quay.

I have seen a photo of the Regent Street shop and works, and they were agents for, Rover Cycles, Star Cycles, Triumph Cycles and Meteor Cycles. As a side line in the business they also did Picture Framing. Hehehe. Odd combination.

I'd have thought Sep moved to Havelock Street after the Central Hall burned down in 1923, though I do not know that for sure. A bit of speculation. In the 1921 Trade Directory he was still listed as trading at 5 Market Place, Waterloo.

Alfred Septimus Mole born 1879 Horton, Waterloo, had a wife Ada nee Ingram and three children, James Henry, Edith Mary and Alfred. They lived at no. 13 Richard Street circa 1910. Sep died 16 October 1958. Probate details tell us that he was of the George & Dragon Hotel, Morpeth and he was a Cycle Dealer with his brother John and his estate valued at £2601 2s! Equivalent to £54,740.65 today (2014).

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline peeem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 September 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
Strange how things pop up. Re, Gillespies the butcher, we were talking about the very same shop just a couple of days ago. It was I believe on Plessey Road just opposite the Royal Tavern. It is now a convenience store. I remember it well but keep forgetting its name. It was next door to Massey's fish and chip shop, now a chinese takeaway.

Offline vi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Golightly- not sure if it was a cobblers shop,near the bottom of Princess Louise Road.Crofton area.. Vi...

Offline fairyfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 14 December 14 12:31 GMT (UK) »
There was a chemists called Golightlys on Park View in Whitley Bay, maybe they had a number of shops in the area.  It was a big shop with wonderful mahogany cupboards full of medicines etc in those big glass jars.  Hope this helps

Marion

Offline HenryWood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 18 December 14 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all who have responded in this thread. I tend to think PH is about right when he writes of "events that lead unwittingly to false memories". I now seem to think/remember that there was a lad at Blyth Grammar School when I was there called Billy Golightly but again that could be another false trail. These things seem to happen more and more often as time goes by.

One thing I definitely *do* remember, and thanks for the memory PH, is Sep Mole's shop where my parents bought my first bicycle. It was a cracker, a Raleigh I think, but I definitely know it had Sturmey Archer gears *and* a dyno-hub. (A dynamo built into the rear hub instead of the usual tyre mounted dynamo and the dyno-hub powered a battery pack built into the main frame so your lights stayed on even when you were stationary!) The Rolls-Royce of bikes and it felt as heavy as a Roller trying to pedal it!

And remembering the Raleigh bike I also remembered the chant:
"Ride a Raleigh
 Ride a wreck
 Ride a Phillips
 And you'll break your neck!"

And I'm not sure if I ever saw a Phillips bike!  :-\

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 18 December 14 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Bikes.

My mother had a bike c.1952. Bought from Co-op at Blyth (CWS for Cooperative Wholesale Society)

Nicknamed " Copper, Wire and String" !

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.