Author Topic: Poole/Owen marriage, Llanasa 1805  (Read 37195 times)

Offline MaryJC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Poole/Owen marriage, Llanasa 1805
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 03:25 BST (UK) »
llessur,

In the 1851 census it lists living in the parish of Whitford, township of Uwch Glan:
Living at the "Golch"
John Pool, age 42, miner, born at Newmarket
Charlotte Pool, age 41, born at Whitford
Joseph Pool, age 16, miner, born at Whitford
Elizabeth Pool, age 12, general servant, born at Whitford
Jane Pool, age 18, general servant, born at Whitford
Easter Pool, age 8, born at Whitford
Sarah Pool, age 5, born at Whitford

It looks like the baby Mary Ann born in 1849 died.  I looked in the 1861 Wales and England census and could not find John or Ellen.  I think I did find John's daughter Sarah in the 1861 census.
Living at Durham, Coxhoe is a Sarah Poole, servant, age 15, born in Wales, Holywell (I am not certain but I think Whitford is somehow associated with Holywell).  As far as Peter Poole is concerned.  The one who is married to Hester (Esther) Owens is living at Newmarket, Graig on "the mountain" in the 1841 census.  He is listed as a lead miner and is 57 years old. His wife is also 57 years old.  He is living in the same location in 1851 and is said to be 69 years old along with his wife and he is a lead ore miner.  I am unable to track him down in any later census records so my guess is that before 1861 both he and Hester died.  Also, on his marriage record mentioned in earlier posts, he is listed as a bachelor from Gwaenyspar.  This is all that I really know about him.  I hope this information in helpful.  How is it that you are related to John Poole?  Does your line come from Charlotte or Ellen?  I would love to know any further information you have about John Poole and his descendants.

Sincerely,
Mary     

Offline llessur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 12:57 BST (UK) »
Mary,

Once again - many thanks. My wife is a Poole - Father George Poole; his Father was called Robert Henry Poole; his Father was John Joseph Poole; his Father was John Poole and his Father was Peter Poole.

I have a lot of census information on the Poole's which I would be more than happy to send you.

Have the birth, marriage and death details of John Joseph Poole but have struggled somewhat with John Poole and Peter Poole.

Went to Newmarket recently and thought I had found Peter Poole in the Parish records (this Peter was married to Hester which you already know) but could not find the birth record of John Poole - I am not convinced that Peter and Hester Poole are his parents - I think there is another Peter Poole....

Would be more than happy to send you all the information I have on the Poole's as you have been so helpful.

By the way my name is Russell (lessur - backwards!)

Regards,

Offline MaryJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 August 08 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hello fellow Poole researchers!

I have some wonderful news to share with all of you!  This past week I went to the geneology library and I made some great discoveries!  I found Peter Poole's birth record along with most of his siblings and the names of his parents.  The information is as follows:

John Pool (of Whitford parish) married Elizabeth Roberts (of Dyserth parish)
5 Aug 1781 @ Dyserth ..... these are Peter Poole's parents

children I have found so far:

John Pool, born: 9 May 1782 @ Dyserth/died: 12 May 1782 @ Dyserth
Peter Pool, born: 20 Nov 1783 @ Dyserth/baptized: 23 Nov 1783 @ Dyserth
Sarah Pool, born: 23 Oct 1786 @ Dyserth/baptized: 29 Oct 1786 @ Dyserth
John Pool, born: 4 Nov 1790 @ Dyserth/baptized: 7 Nov 1790 @ Dyserth/buried: 5 May 1833 @ Newmarket
Robert Pool, born: 13 Nov 1794 @ Dyserth/baptized 15 Nov 1794 @ Dyserth/died: 19 Jan 1798 @ Gwaenysgor
Joshua Pool, baptized: 29 Oct 1797 @ Gwaenysgor
Jane Pool, baptized: 2 Jun 1803

The family is listed as living at Trecastell, Dyserth parish.  The father John Pool's occupation when Peter was born was listed as a farmer, however, when the other's were born he was listed as a miner.  John Pool, the son of John and Elizabeth was also listed as a miner when he died in 1833.  I have some more information on Sarah Pool's husband and her children as well as Joshua Pool's wife and his children if any of you want that also.

MaryJC

Offline llessur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 17:00 BST (UK) »
Mary,

Many thanks for the update - having drawn a blank for the best part of 10 years looking into the Poole family, within a matter of a few weeks you have provided me with loads of information about them.

My worry is - is the Peter Pool that you have found the father of the John Poole that I know is definately related to my wife's side as I have been unable to find any christening record for John Poole - all I know about him is that he said on the 1861 Census that he was born in Newmarket (Trelawnyd).

Is there anyone out there can can help?

Regards

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hello again Mary and Russell

I was on a (very wet) holiday in Scotland when your last few posts went in, so I'm only just catchng up - great finds there Mary, well done!  :D   :D :D

Looks like the John Pool of Dyserth and his son Peter are 'my' Pooles, so I'm happy!  Now all we need to do is find Russell's John Poole .. 

If I remember, there does appear to be another Peter Poole - if you rewind about halfway down this thread, we found children of 'Peter Poole and Ester Jones' on IGI, baptised at the Methodist church in Llanasa.  I thought Ester Jones and Hester Owen might be the same person, but it seems unlikely now. Could this be the Peter we're after?

I'm going to start another thread relating to the Roberts family in Manchester, who have guest appearances in this one! It will get too confusing if I put them here  ;D 
Link to the Roberts post -   http://www.rootschat.com/links/04aj/   

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xantippe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 19 January 09 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I think your Hester Owen could be the sister of my Jane Owen do you have anything else on the family? Jane married Samuel Griffith in Llanasa my 4xgt Grandfather.

Thanks.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi xantippe, welcome to the thread  :D

I have to read the whole thing again and draw diagrams every time I come back to this lot!  ;D

If you scroll back to reply 3, Paul found us a marriage for Hester Owen to Peter Poole, and a baptism for Hester as follows:
Llanasa parish records. Marriage Sep 21 1805.
Peter Poole. abode, Gwaynyscor. Bachelor.
Hester Owens. of this parish. Spinster.
Witnesses. Sarah Poole. & Robert Roberts.

Baptism.
born 15, baptised 17 1784. Ester Owens. D/O William & Ann. abode, Trelogan.

So we have parents names William Owen(s) and Ann, and location Trelogan, but nothing more as the thread then moved on to all those Pooles and Robertses!

I haven't followed up this line for some time, but I see that there are individual submissions on IGI for two possible marriages;
William Owens to Ann Jones, 10 Jan 1784, Trelawnyd
William Owens to Ann Billance, 26 Jan 1788, Llanasa Parish Church

The Ann Jones marriage fits best with Ester's birth (just noticed we don't have a month for the birth there)

I will buy the CDs from the Clwyd FHS as soon as I can afford, but I've blown my budget on the 1911 census this month, so it will be a couple of weeks yet!  ::)

Best wishes

Offline xantippe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Barbara,

The problem with having so many relatives with the same names as people they aren't closely related to is getting tangled up with the wrong line. All the places are a stones throw from each other  and all of my people in that line lived in all three. I have something to work on though. The same names keep cropping up so the gene pool there was getting a little muddied I think.

I didn't know I could buy CD's from the Clwyd FHS. I might do that depends how much they are. I still have some records to get from the 1911 census and no credits left! Oh well egg and chips for dinner ;D

Kris

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kris,

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/  for the various publications.  I've just noticed, much cheaper on microfiche if you can get access to a reader (could upgrade to sausage and chips then  ;D or 2 eggs if youre veggie)
The Non-conformist registers look useful for baptisms (the 'Cocking Index' as William mentioned in reply 2 of this thread) but for the parish churches, as you say very confusing with the different ones.