Author Topic: RAF 78 Squadron WW2  (Read 15807 times)

Offline Hawknut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF 78 Squadron WW2
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 August 12 03:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. We were under the impression that he was born in Australia, but we will check it out.

Offline clotfy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 15:56 BST (UK) »
All, my great uncle was part of the 78th reserve squadron in Breighton. He was a bomb aimer and his plane crashed over Souilly in France in August 1943. He and his crew fellows are burried at Souilly churchyard cemetery. His name is Jack Percival Wenmoth.
would any of you or your parents have heard of him ?

Offline Halifaxman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
Clotfy

78 Sqn was not a "Reserve Sqn" Further details as to the specific loss detailed below

27th / 28th August 1943: Halifax Mk BII, JD406 EY-P "Rothman P~Peter”

Built by English Electric Co (Salmesbury & Preston) this particular aircraft was delivered to 78 Sqn between 29th July and 5th August 1943

The crew were briefed to attack Nuremburg. The ATD of the aircraft from RAF Breighton, Yorkshire was 2054 

JD406 EY-P was one of two 78 Sqn aircraft lost on this operation. The other was; JD414 EY-M

The cause of JD406 EY-P’s loss was not established. The aircraft crashed at Souilly, 16km SW of Verdun (Meuse) France

Pilot            F/O R.H. Orr RCAF +
Flight Engineer      Sgt E.J. Williams +
Navigator         F/O W.V. Gregson +
Bomb Aimer      Sgt P.J. Wenmoth +
Wireless Operator   Sgt I. Illingworth +
Mid Upper Gunner   Sgt W.A. Dunleavy RCAF
Rear Gunner      Sgt H. McN. Gill +

Those killed are buried in Souilly Churchyard, France

Sgt Dunleavy was interned in Stalag 9C (Bad Orb)

ORR, Flying Officer (P) RICHARD HERBERT, J/20704, 78 (R.A.F.) Sqn Royal Canadian Air Force. 28 August 1943. Age 27. Son of Arthur Joseph and Bertha Jane Orr, of Underwood, Ontario, Canada. Grave Ref. Grave 3.

WILLIAMS, Sergeant (FE) ENOCH JONES, 1130519, 78 Sqn Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 28 August 1943. Age 22. Son of Thomas and Rebecca Williams, of Blaenrhondda, Glamorgan. Grave Ref. Grave 6.

GREGSON, Flying Officer (NAV) WILLIAM VICTOR, 131902, 78 Sqn Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 28 August 1943. Age 25. Son of William and Dorothy Gregson; husband of Sally Gregson, of Liverpool. Grave Ref. Grave 5.

WENMOTH, Sergeant (BA) PERCIVAL JACK, 997249, 78 Sqn Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 28 August 1943. Age 24. Son of Mr. and Mrs. C. P. Wenmoth, of Whalley Range, Manchester. Grave Ref. Grave 2.

ILLINGWORTH, Sergeant (WOP/AG) IRVINE, 1079192, 78 Sqn Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 28 August 1943. Grave Ref. Grave 1.

GILL, Sergeant (RG) HECTOR MCNEILL, 613186, 78 Sqn  Royal Air Force. 28 August 1943. Age 24. Son of John McNeill Gill and Catherine McNeill Gill, of Campbelltown, Argyllshire; husband of Verbena Ruth Gill. Grave Ref. Grave 4.

Hope this is of use?

Kind Regards

Halifaxman

Offline jaunel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi halifaxman, and also clofty if he can read this post after.

I am looking for any information or picture about that jd 406 halifax of 78sqn or his crew. I come from the nearest town of the crash (3km from souilly churchyard) and my dad and me are trying for several years to find anything about that aircraft. We tried to contact the family of sgt dunleavy, to know more about what happened and we have the idea to maybe build something to remember those who give their lives. Crash place is located in the hood behind my house, i found some part of the aircraft when i was kid.

Your help or clofty's information would be helpfull. Don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Celestin

Offline clotfy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
Celestin,

you live in Souilly? I would be more than interested in meeting you and getting more details from you

Sherif Lotfy

Offline clotfy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
Attached is a photo of the plane and the crew members

Offline jaunel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sherif Lotfy,

I grew up in Osches, located 3 km west of Souilly. Exact location of crash is on the forest between both towns. It appears that the location is pretty big, as this kind of aircraft was also big...
Crew is burried at Souilly Churchyard, just close to the church. I can provide you a picture of the grave of your great uncle. I think I can provide you also some other details as soon as I will find my files and ask family.

So, the picture you've send is the picture of JD-406's crew? Where is your great uncle? And the others? Do you have an idea of when and where this pic was done?

Maybe you can provide me your email address, it can be more convenient for sending pictures.
Here is mine :  (*)

Regards

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
I have a query regarding the loss of DT 768 in 1943
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Halifaxman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 19:23 BST (UK) »
PM inbound!

Halifaxman