Author Topic: YOUNG & NICHOLSON Families in Monaghan. Have I reached the end of my rope?  (Read 15609 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: YOUNG & NICHOLSON Families in Monaghan. Have I reached the end of my rope?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 October 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
Cindy, if you are in Canada you would be better off using Google Search Engine in Ireland for your search....

www.google.ie  will get you better results!

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=37099329  will get you views of N E Monaghan.

The marriage would not have been Church of Ireland at that time but Church of England, I think the full title was "Established Church of England and Ireland" so based on C of E as to parish set up etc...

Gaffy posted "Andrew Young, son of William and Mary, was baptised in parish of Tehallan in 1829"
but I would have posted "Andrew Young, son of William and Mary, was baptised in parish of Tyholland in 1829" but we are both correct as it was known by both names... Irish research isn't easy!

Now...what Lyons are you looking for??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 October 12 13:00 BST (UK) »

I'm not sure what resources are online, perhaps others reading this can point you in the right direction...

There is a book in the OS Memoirs series called "Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Vol 40: South Ulster 1834-8" covering Sligo, Leitrim Cavan, Monaghan, and Louth, and the blurb says that Monaghan has the best coverage in the book.  If it's anything like the other OS series books, it'll have good background to the county.

I'll keep my eye out for this one. Thanks for sharing the information. Cindy

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 October 12 13:25 BST (UK) »
Lyons is my paternal grandmother's line. Both sides Irish.  Both came to US and stayed either in New York City or Brooklyn, New York.  This is all my grandmother had:

Owen Lyons - b.1780 Ireland  d. 1830 New York City
                     From NYC directories I found him in 1808 living in NYC. He was a Shoemaker.
                     Found his death in NYC records:  October 11, 1830
Do not know anything about his marriage besides he was married to Cornelia Holsted b.1794 in Ireland. They had 4 children, all born in NYC. 

His oldest son is Owen Lyons as well. He is my gggrandfather.
 b. 1824- d. 1889 Born/Lived/Died in NYC   He was a Tailor.
He married - Elizabeth Sterritt b1826 d.1867   Her parents were William b.1802 Ireland & Ann b.1800 Ireland
 have no information about them besides they were born in Ireland and he was a Carpetweaver. Only found them in 1 census, before and after....totally gone.

Not much to go on with them, but thankfully they stayed in one place so I hope to go to NYC one day to dig around in their archives :)

Cindy

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 October 12 18:25 BST (UK) »
Question: If you are researching, would I type in Tyholland or Tehallan? Are many parishes like this?.... Yes, quite a few! Google both!

The naming system takes getting used to BUT I also have same problem with US stuff.. I've one family who never moved but ended up in 3 places due to lines being redrawn, North Carolina became South Carolina for where they lived...etc

Attaching photograph (taken by me) of the church which you will probably like to have. I have g/stones photographed but nothing for your names!

Not breaching Copyright laws as it is my copyright.

Bedell would probably indicate a previous marriage between these families. Very doubtful if you will get anything on Owen!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 18:33 BST (UK) »
Question: If you are researching, would I type in Tyholland or Tehallan? Are many parishes like this?.... Yes, quite a few! Google both!

The naming system takes getting used to BUT I also have same problem with US stuff.. I've one family who never moved but ended up in 3 places due to lines being redrawn, North Carolina became South Carolina for where they lived...etc

Attaching photograph (taken by me) of the church which you will probably like to have. I have g/stones photographed but nothing for your names!

Not breaching Copyright laws as it is my copyright.

Bedell would probably indicate a previous marriage between these families. Very doubtful if you will get anything on Owen!

My spare time the past few days has been trying to understand the geography of the area and understanding towns/parishes, etc.   From the locations you gave me, am I correct that Drumagelvin is what you'd call a town- land?  Please correct me as I'm still a bit confused:

Drumagelvin(Townland)--Tyholland/Tehallan(Parish)--Monaghan(County?Union?)--Ulster would be the Province?

The google.ie has been helpful and bookmarked so I may help aid my searches.  The Bedell middle name was always a mystery to our family. As I've been researching I have seen Bishop William Bedell mentioned and his sons. It's still a new angle, but have you heard of any of his descendants in Co. Monaghan?

I am still trying to find the Nicholsons in NewMills. I am assuming this is a small town/area as I have seen a few on the maps but far away from Monaghan. Is there another name NewMills goes by?

Cindy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 18:45 BST (UK) »
See www.thecore.com/seanruad to find details of places in Ireland. If you search for a townland it will give you the civil parish, barony, Poor Law Union (almost always same as registration district), county and Province.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 19:14 BST (UK) »
I think the 'New Mills' in question may be a population centre, or village, located in the townland of Kilcran, about 30km (c18 miles) to the north west of Drumagelvin townland, or about 18 km (11 miles) north of Monagahn town.

In around 1837 New Mills had a Flax and Corn Mill, and a bridge over the River Blackwater.

see:  New Mills   (OSI Map)

Kilcran was in in the civil and church of Ireland parish of Donagh.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline owenzachary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 October 12 00:24 BST (UK) »
I found Drumagelvin on Google Earth and have been taking a 'drive' around. May be the closest I ever get to Ireland LOL. Absolutely beautiful.  When you zoom out a bit and look at the area Google says is Drumagelvin it is a decent sized area with very little in the way of housing. I did see lots of areas that looked like it had been growing stuff but it was awesome to see such lovely land barely touched my modern building and expanding!

So if the Young's were in this town land, what was the average population of a townland such as this? I would love to know what they actually did as a family in this community. In the 1850 census (8yrs after they arrived) in Illinois they were farmers. Very wealthy farmers at that. So I wonder what their level of success was before they came to the US. In Illinois My William's first born son was an Andrew so I started looking for anything before 1800 with an Andrew Young. Is it listed in church records that Drumagelvin was their town land?

As for New Mills, I found the area shanew147 saw as well. I did find a few names with New Mills, Co. Monaghan though but couldn't get solid confirmation. If Tyholland Parish Church (St. Sillians?) was Mary Nicholson's church, is Tyholland another name for New Mills?? My goodness this is confusing. Was New Mills written down somewhere related to the Nicholson's family? From what I've read online here they marry in the brides church.

How common were these last name? Off to Google Earth to travel some more!
Cindy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 October 12 09:19 BST (UK) »
If Tyholland Parish Church (St. Sillians?) was Mary Nicholson's church, is Tyholland another name for New Mills?? My goodness this is confusing.

Tyholland/Tehallan civil parish is the immediately south of  Donagh civil parish, where New Mills is located.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests