Author Topic: William Dent Esq  (Read 33577 times)

Offline bgor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Dent Esq
« on: Saturday 19 September 09 13:17 BST (UK) »
Through researching the Dent family I have come up with a William Dent Esq who donated to the building of the church in Crosby Ravensworth in 1810 and a William Dent Esq residing at Brickendonbury Hertfordshire, and listed on the United Company of Merchants of England, Trading to the East Indies list in 1815.
I have also come across another William Dent Esq, also on this list and residing  at Battersea Rise, Surrey, and a William Dent Esq of London married in 1800/1801 and registered in Lancaster.
Does anyone know if any of these people are the same person. I think the first two may be one and the same, and the second two the other.
Dent  Pomeroy  Toll 
Buck  Grant  Clarke
Burgar
Sims
Mitchell

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Dent Esq
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi bgor,

According to the 1818 Poll of the Knights of the Shire, there was a William Dent owning property in Crosby Ravensworth but living in Wandsworth.

In 1826 there is a Robert Dent owning property in Mauld Meaburn but living in London.

Regards,

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline bgor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 09 01:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gillian,
It looks like Wandsworth may have been Surrey once, or at least Battersea Rise could have been in both Boroughs. The Boroughs seem to have changed quite a bit over time, blending in and out of each other.
So the William of Crosby Ravensworth may also have been the William of Surrey and the one listed in the Lancashire register, but is probably not the one at Brickendonbury as they are both listed with the United company of Merchants of England. I think the William of Brickendonbury may be from Yorkshire or Durham.
There is also a John Dent Esq of Temple Bar listed in Lancashire. Perhaps related?

Could you tell me if the Poll of the Knights of the Shire gives any information on spouses or children for William Dent Esq?

Regards
Bronwyn
Dent  Pomeroy  Toll 
Buck  Grant  Clarke
Burgar
Sims
Mitchell

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 09 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Browyn,

It only gives names of freeholders who were eligible to vote I'm afraid, no info about family members.

Regards,

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline Rumba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 September 09 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The Dents of Crosby Ravensworth and Maulds meaburn are the same, they were and still are huge land owners and had built a mansion called Flass, at Maulds Meaburn. The church in C/R has a chapel dedicated to them and their own tomb beneath. There is an archives now in Crosby where you will be able to make an appointment and access your family tree.

Offline bgor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 September 09 00:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gillian and "Rumba",
I hope to bring our family to the UK for a year some time down the track (6 years or so away yet), maybe I will be able to organise something like that then. In the meantime I guess I will keep turning pages and pressing keys. It is so wonderful to have online resources at hand like this.
Dent  Pomeroy  Toll 
Buck  Grant  Clarke
Burgar
Sims
Mitchell

Offline Flass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 June 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Bgor, I can help and am very curious to know your connections with the family (my family).  William Dent of Battersea Rise (also described as Bolingbroke Grove, Wandsworth Common, an East India Merchant) London (1740-1823) was the younger son of John Dent of Flass, Maulds Meaburn in the parish of Crosby Ravensworth, Westmorland.  He paid for a large chunk of teh early 19th Century restoration of Crosby Ravensworth church.  So far as I know, William Dent of Wandsworth never married so I don't think the Lancaster marriage is connected, though I could be wrong.  He had an "adopted" (aka illegitimate I think) daughter Mary, who inherited the house in Wandsworth and lived to the age of 97 (died 1867).  [Wandsworth is now part of London south of the Thames, but was at the time technically in Surrey.  WD worked in London, so may be referred to as of London or of Surrey.]

WD of BR's brother Robert Dent (1731-1805, his neighbour on Wandsworth Common [Dents Road in Wandsworth is built over part of their grounds], senior partner in Child's & Co bank of Temple Bar, No. 1 Fleet Street, London) was the father of John Dent MP (1761-1826), also a partner in Child's & Co bank of Temple Bar [MP for Lancaster, where he bought an estate, and later for Poole].

William Dent of Brickendonbury, Hertfordshire (1761-1833, previously of Tumlak, Bengal and later of Grange Court, Chigwell, Essex) was a cousin of theirs, a son of Rev John Dent of Ainderby Steeple, Yorkshire, son of Rev Robert Dent of North Otterington, Yorkshire (the brother of John Dent of Flass).

I am descended from the elder brother of John Dent of Flass (William Dent of Trainlands, Maulds Meaburn 1684-1766) [as well in fact as from JD of F's daughter Mary Wilkinson nee Dent (1726-1812) - there were several intermarriages].  My parents still have a house in Maulds Meaburn and we are up there regularly [I am repeating the family tradition by living in London!].

I am very curious to know what your link or interest with the Dents is?
Kind regards
Nick (Dent)

Offline bgor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 June 10 06:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,
How nice to hear from you.

It has been a while since I looked at the Dents of Mauld's Meaburn. I managed to track down a family tree on ancestry.co.uk which traced most of the family, but not your line, or that of John Dent MP. I have since moved on to the Digby Dents, but still finding it hard to pin down my great great great Grandfather, William Owen Kitchener Dent.

WOK Dent had above deck passage to South Australia in 1839 on the "John". This included his wife and 6 children. He worked as a labourer for about 12 years (as most settlers did for this colony), then moved from Yankalilla to the new town of Port Elliot, where he worked for a time as an Engineer, and later owned a business. My great great grandfather, Thomas Agen Dent, was his first child born in South Australia. He became the "Hero of Pt Elliot" after a rather dashing sea rescue in 1860. He became a grazier between about 1880 and his death in 1919. My mother was a grand daughter of his daughter Mary Anne Naomi Dent, but gained some valuable oral history from Thomas' son Agen Cormack Dent who lived to be almost 100 years old.

Cheers

Bronwyn
Dent  Pomeroy  Toll 
Buck  Grant  Clarke
Burgar
Sims
Mitchell

Offline fleurieufam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Bronwyn,

I'm very new to this, new to family history research, and new to forums, in fact this is my very first post on any forum anywhere.

I believe we are related. My grandmother was Mary Kathleen Annie buck, daughter of Mary Ann Naomi dent.

I have been getting as much info as I can online, and in the local area, My Mum was born and raised in Port Elliot. I was born in Adelaide but have just moved with my wife and kids, to the South Coast, having bought land at Middleton, 5 minutes drive from Port Elliot, where we are planning to build our home.

This of course has sparked great interest in my roots, as it seems the family line goes back some six generations in the area. I am keen to gather as much info as I can, and have been gleaning as much as I can from my Mum who now lives in Melbourne. Her mind is not as sharp as it was, but I'm still amazed at what she remembers of her childhood and the relatives she knew.

I have visited some sites in the area, including the old Dent home ruin, a rotting old bridge named 'Stewart Bridge' named after a Stewart Dent, the old Burgar home 'Cliffside', and the grave of William Owen Kitchener Dent and other Dents at the Currency Creek Cemetery.

I don't want to burden you with my request but would love to know what you've learned of the family tree.

Regards,

Stephen