Author Topic: Captain James Greenwood - need help  (Read 10528 times)

Offline Nutley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Captain James Greenwood - need help
« on: Friday 08 November 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
 My Grandfather Captain James Greenwood, was born in Goole Yorshire 1875 and died at sea on board SS Broomfleet 1928. Ref. www.thegooleexperience.co.uk . I can find no trace of his ships and journeys. Through ancestry.co.uk masters and mates, I found a reference to him. Seamans number 037283. However when you go into the entry it makes refence to someone completly different. I did eventually find him on page 214 of the section but only found 1st mates certificate and little else. Where are all the records from 1901- 1928? I do know he sailed on the Eric Calvert at one time and worked for SS Calvert and Co. for many years. Please help

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Captain James Greenwood - need help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 November 13 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nutley, I think that some of his service record is on there (page 209), I think that information runs from page 208 through to page 212?.
There is also probate information for him:
"Greenwood James of 37 Salisbury Avenue Goole Yorkshire. Died 8 September 1928 at sea, probate London 12 October to Clara Annie Greenwood widow.
Effects £1563.6s.3d
Also have you seen or aware of this:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Greenwood&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1928&GSdyrel=in&GScntry=5&GSob=n&GRid=81624907&df=all&
Regards, Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Nutley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 November 13 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank, I was not aware of 'find a grave.'How interesting. Thank you so much this is lovely to have.i was aware of the probate. Yes, I too had checked all the pages from 208 but it all appears to be early information prior to becoming a Captain I wonder where all the other information is?

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 November 13 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a sneaky feeling that they could be held at the National Archives but I am not sure, I am hoping that sooner or later a member by the name of "seaweed" comes along as he is an absolute wealth of knowledge and has given me considerable help in the past along with a number of other posters on maritime issues, they will be invaluable to your search.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 November 13 13:15 GMT (UK) »
When my friend was looking for his grandfathers record we found something at the National Archives but I also found other stuff over the net.  I seem to think that Merchant Marine and I think James might have been that rather than Royal Navy (but you would need to check what type of ship it is) Heres some information http://rmhh.co.uk/files/Merchant_Seamen_General_Research.pdf in case hes merchant marine.
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 November 13 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, there are several mentions of his death on the "British Newspaper Archives" website but you have to buy credits to get a full look.
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1928-01-01/1928-12-31?basicsearch=captain%20james%20greenwood&exactsearch=false
Regards,
Frank.

Offline Nutley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 November 13 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Gosh you are good Frank I really never new there were so many resources available? I will buy a couple.
regards sally

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 November 13 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Gosh you are good Frank I really never new there were so many resources available? I will buy a couple.
regards sally

Hi, thank you for that   :)
I am only a mere novice compared to many of the chatters on here, I only know what I know thanks to the vast number of members who have helped me many times with my family research,
it does give you a warm glow when you help others tho'  :)
Frank.

Offline Nutley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 November 13 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Boneham Taylor, thank you for your interest, have just been reading the link, I suspect that you are right , I will have to visit the national Archives office. However, it would also appear that some records were destroyed during my grandfather's career and even if they were not destroyed I only know of the ships- Eric Calvert and SS Broomfleet and of course he was on many more from 1902 - 1928. This could prove to be a tricky one!!!

Regards Sally