Author Topic: Captain James Greenwood - need help  (Read 10636 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Captain James Greenwood - need help
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 November 13 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Regarding "what do the capital letters stand for after the date? I thought it was country for which the ship was bound IE: US  however by looking at the photo of S.E.Calvert i would not have thought it was large enough to go transatlantic?" You would be surprised.
For details of the abbreviations.See.
http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/capreg.htm

Wow!!  :o well I certainly am.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
OTIS TETRAX
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 November 13 21:39 GMT (UK) »
OTIS TETRAX

The reply "There's no matching sinking claim, so very likely she was sunk by a drifting (British) mine"
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Nutley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 November 13 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seaweed,

Thanks for all the information.

So did all merchant sea Captains receive a WW1 medal if they sailed during the period?

With reference to vessel number for Riplingham - the last digit was very difficult for me to decipher- but 1 makes sense now.

What was Capt. Greenwood doing between finishing on the 'Rose' and starting on the ' Maude Larsson'?
Well I have checked my records and his first wife Alice died Nov.7th 1913 leaving two young children, Minnie Constance and Charles Herbert. He re-married in Jul/Aug/Sept.1916 to Clara Peaker.
In 1918 my Father was born. So , Capt. Greenwood was understandably taking absence of leave.
Sally

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 November 13 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, he seems to have been a very popular man, the report on his burial in the Hull Daily Mail on Thursday  September 13, 1928 states:
"In addition to the family mourners and Mr A.W. Atkinson of the firm of Messrs E.P A Atkinson and sons, Shipbuilders of Goole, by whom he had been employed, there was a large attendance of local Master Mariners and ships officers, as well as representatives of the Aire and Calder lodge of freemasons, the Ancient Order Of Foresters, and the Goole Conservative Club to which bodies the deceased belonged"

The report says the funeral took place "On Wednesday" so it was probably September 12TH or the week before the report was written which would have been September 5TH.
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 November 13 13:34 GMT (UK) »
So did all merchant sea Captains receive a WW1 medal if they sailed during the period?

The Mercantile Marine Medal was awarded to those who served at sea for at least six months, and on at least one voyage through a danger zone.
The British War Medal was automatically awarded to all recipients of the Mercantile Marine Medal
 Given that his service on MAUDE LARSSON, ERIC CALVERT and OTIS TETRAX would have qualified him, It seems odd there are no records of him being awarded these medals. Maybe I missed something.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Nutley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 November 13 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chaps,  Thanks Frank - oh I come from good stock you know!!! and you seaweed better get back to finding info. on the WW1 Medal (only kidding, you have done so much for me)

I'm in pretty good shape now to make up a really good portfolio of my Grandfather. I have the photos of the ships, voyages and to where. plus all the snippets such as the Hull Mail entry. Would have loved to include a picture of the medal!!! I'm going to make the porfolio up for the family.

Thought you would like to see the last 2 entries from Broofleet's log book - see attachments .
Can't send attachment - too big apparently. Will type it out if anyone is interested.
Sally

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 November 13 18:52 GMT (UK) »

Thought you would like to see the last 2 entries from Broofleet's log book - see attachments .
Can't send attachment - too big apparently. Will type it out if anyone is interested.
Sally

Yes please!
SW

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 November 13 19:22 GMT (UK) »

Sally

Hi, certainly would.
Frank.

Offline Nutley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 November 13 21:39 GMT (UK) »
OK Chaps will send you the log book entries over the weekend.
So ,sadly my Grandfather did not make it to 'Fiddler's Green' !!! I suspect he would have loved it. actually so would I by the sound of it however I would replace rum with a large gin and tonic!!!! And I would have the Tabacco too !!!. And Seaweed you would not believe this but I was relaying this information to my husband! as I have done over the days( I have to listen to all his golf ,hole by hole) and he told me he lived at Fiddler's Green Cottages in East Norton , Leistershire when he was a boy.
Google it and you will find the cottages. How fun is that?
So, you were on the high seas for 50 years - what an achievement.

With my very best regards and great respect, Sally