Author Topic: Help Please - James McMorland from Wigtownshire Born about 1760ish  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Please - James McMorland from Wigtownshire Born about 1760ish
« on: Saturday 15 September 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
My 4x Grt Grandfather was a John McMorland born 1788,
name:John Mcmorland gender:Male baptism/christening date:12 Oct 1788 baptism/christening place:LESWALT, WIGTOWN, SCOTLAND father's name:James Mcmorland

I have found 3 Siblings as follows,

name:James Mcmorland gender:Male baptism/christening date:10 Mar 1791 baptism/christening place:LESWALT, WIGTOWN, SCOTLAND father's name:James Mcmorland

name:Agnes Mcmorland gender:Female baptism/christening date: 01 May 1793 baptism/christening place:LESWALT, WIGTOWN, SCOTLAND father's name:James Mcmorland

name:William Mcmorland gender:Male baptism/christening date:06 Oct 1795 baptism/christening place: LESWALT, WIGTOWN, SCOTLAND father's name:James Mcmorland

I am very interested to find out more on James McMorland the father of all the above siblings.. I only have the name and cannot find any other trace of him. I would think that he would have been born about 1755 to 1765 (approximate dates)

Will be absolutely grateful if anyone can help me here.

Best regards
Scott Morland
Auckland
New Zealand

Offline LMcM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please - James McMorland from Wigtownshire Born about 1760ish
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott,
I belong to a MCMORLAND, Alexander b.  ABT 1797 in Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland
He had a brother John, and parents James MCMORLAND and Elizabeth McJANETT.
Alexander had 8/9 kids including a daughter named Agnes. His youngest boy came to Australia and was my great grandfather.

I am very interested in anyone researching this surname, as I am one of the few with this surname in Australia.

Louise McM
Sydney
Australia

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise, Thanks for your message.. Much appreciated. Well it looks like you are one of a few that the Morland name kept the "Mc" part of the name.. Something to be proud of!
You just never know about a link. Wigtownshire and Ayrshire being next door to one another was easy for people to transit between. I have many relations through other family history names that came from Ayrshire also. My posting that I placed previous is as far as I go with my family name. I know the 4 siblings that I mention had a father named James McMorland and I have no idea where he came from. I noted a possible James McMorland in Ayrshire born I think from memory abt 1752 (would need to check again) and another James McMorland from Govan / Glasgow .... Could anyone of those people have been my mystery James McMorland is a mystery at the moment. I place my James McMorland as born between 1750 & 1765 (Guess)
If you know a little more about your family history during this time span I would be very interested to hear from you.

I have been able to expand my Morlands (McMorlands) quite well from the John McMorland B 1788 that I mention.

Great to hear from you Louise

Best regards
Scott Morland
Auckland
New Zealand

Offline LMcM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 September 12 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott,
I only got that far with my tree late last year, altho it's a distinctive surname I had very little info to go on (as many in this section of my family have died fairly early in life and not passed info down the lines etc). Last year I was in discussion with Diana MacM in Canada who appears to be from the same family unit as mine.
Interesting to hear about the dropping of the Mc/Mac part in your case, it gives me another avenue to pursue.  I have been planning to set up some sort of web presence for people of this surname, so we can find others and share info on one site.  It looks like I will have to do something about this sooner rather than later, possibly over the Dec/Jan block of time when I have less work on.
The basic rundown of my tree can be found at http://newsfamily.tribalpages.com
altho this site is set up for info on my mothers line I have popped what I think are the basic details of my dad's line in. You can take a look around at the mcmorlands on this if you like, and see if you can pick up on any possible connections. 
Louise