Author Topic: Redding - Saskatchewan and Victoria BC -COMPLETED  (Read 5950 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Redding - Saskatchewan and Victoria BC
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 September 11 02:05 BST (UK) »
Nathan's brother John was born 1874 so too young to be his brother but could always be cousins...
have since seen a pedigree file of father John Redding's family and Thomas was married to a Mary, so not Euphemia's husband...

Nathan's parents are in pedigree files on the IGI... John Redding & Sarah Bachelor (A submission & not complete so not sure how accurate any of it is as it doesn't even match the family left in 1881...)
John's parents are listed on there to be William Redding & Mary Rance https://www.familysearch.org/
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline jeffster

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 September 11 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hey Gillybilly,

Just curious if you are located in Saskatchewan?  I saw that you have looked at their homestead records, just seeing if you are close by.  I do have some insights will share them in the morning after work.

Jeff

Offline gillybilly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 September 11 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff,
Afraid I'm far from Saskatchewan here in the middle of the UK. I ordered the homestead records through the LDS and looked at them on microfilm locally. There didn't seem to be anything especially out of the ordinary, but were nevertheless interesting, as this is a new area for me, so I would be interested for any insights.
Redding/Reading - Chesham, Bucks,Saskatchewan, Victoria BC
Wells, Newton, Bowden, Penn, Aris, Thompson,  Birch (all Bucks)
Lardner -Gloucs
Clarke, Grafton Clarke, -Stamford. Lincs
Hadfield - Derbyshire
Shinton - Kinver and Monmouthshire
Dorey, Whittington - Sussex

Offline jeffster

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 September 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hey Gilly,

My apologies I didn't know you were that far away.  Homestead records will brief in nature can hold clues to the whereabouts of your ancestors, as well as family size, farming conditions (hardships they may have faced, fire, drought, etc.), and nationality if not British subject. I myself have found telegrams, letters, and such in ones in the past.  Nathan and Ralph did indeed own seperate homesteads but it was 2 quarters sections of the same parcel of  land (basically they were neighbors), NE and SE are on top of one another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_Land_Survey

Through yours and J.J.'s efforts I was able to locate Ralph and Alma's obituaries from the local paper, as well as a picture of their gravestones from Woodlawn cemetery.  As well I was able to find 2 small articles from a local history book of Delisle on the Redding family and Elsie Price.

I was also able to find them on the 1906 Census here, page 15 about 6 households down, Nathan was transcribed as Matthieu for some reason,

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e049/e001207844.pdf

If you can send me a private message, with your regular email addy,  I can send you the documents mentioned above, as the documents are a bit big to post here plus they may have details of living people.  Btw Kate is Ralph's brother seen in the census above.

Jeff

Offline TRAVELLER2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Redding - Saskatchewan and Victoria BC -COMPLETED
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 September 14 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hello gillybilly:

Re your posts of Aug 31,2011.The Reddings were my Great Grandparents.Their daughter,Sarah (kate) was my Grandmother. She married Edward Hunt in Hespler,Ont,on April 20,1911.They were both in the Salvation Army at the time.They filed on land in 1917.
My  Hunt Grandfather came to Canada in Jan 1904.He sailed from Liverpool to Halifax with his destination was Winnipeg,Manitoba.He was born in 1880 in Norich,Norfolk. Sailed on the SS Sicilian.
The Redding family ended up her also,after only staying in Florida for one year.
If interested,get in touch,would be interested in other long lost relatives.
Regards, Don hunt
P.S. i live in Abbotsford,B.C. Am on Facebook

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Redding - Saskatchewan and Victoria BC -COMPLETED
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 September 14 20:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat TRAVELLER2010! I'll notify the poster in case theirs is turned off...
Always great to see connections made on here!  Living persons can be discussed by private message. J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com