Author Topic: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 37403 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 May 13 14:03 BST (UK) »
On 4 May
Elizabeth Jane Taylor (nee Hobson) my g.aunt was born in 1874 in Manchester.  My mum remembers going to her house to do errands etc. for her and then, her aunt not giving her the odd halfpenny she had promised as she’d say the work hadn’t been done properly.

Rebecca Newton Gray (nee Mumby) my 1st cousin 3 times removed was born in Drypool, Hull, Yorkshire in 1860

Joseph Hobson my 4 x g.g.uncle (and 2 x g.g.uncle of Elizabeth Jane Taylor (nee Hobson) above was baptised at St Peter’s Church, Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1748

Edwin Hammond Stanton my 1st cousin 5 times removed was baptised in New Sleaford, Lincolnshire in 1805.  Interestingly, despite being such a distant ancestor I have a photograph of him.

Benjamin Batty my 4 x g.g.uncle was baptised at All Saints Church, Darton, Barnsley, Yorkshire in  1734

Edith Bailey (nee Alden) my 1st cousin once removed died in Leeds, Yorkshire in 1970 aged 85.  She was known to me as Aunt Edie and was the illegitimate daughter of my g.gran’s eldest daughter, known as Aunt Vinnie, by her first husband!  She was brought up by my g.gran and was a year younger than my gran, so they were very close.  She married in 1915 in Leeds, where she had gone to live with her widowed mother, but unfortunately her husband died in 1918 in a London War Hospital from a gunshot wound of the head.  So, basically, she and her mother known as Aunt Vinnie (also a widow in tragic circumstances) lived together in Leeds from about 1911 until her mother’s death in 1954, from when Aunt Edie lived alone until she died.

Jane Goad my 2nd cousin 5 times removed married Joseph Martindale in Aldingham, Lancashire in 1811.

William Chorley my 2x g.g.uncle and Ellen (Eleanor) Pegman married at the Parish Church, Sunderland, Co.Durham in 1857.  William was the 3rd illegitimate son of my 3 x g.grandmother before she married my 3 x g.grandfather Jonathan Middleton in 1834.  Although he was on the 1841 census as William Middleton, I think this was an error on the census as he was not a son of Jonathan Middleton, as his marriage certificate has a line through the space for father’s name.  He must, however, have thought highly of his stepfather as he used the name Middleton as a middle name for two of his own children.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 May 13 09:24 BST (UK) »
Born today in Clerkenwell in 1896, a 1st cousin 1R, Rosina Rebecca Pollard;  daughter of Alfred Samuel and Maria Rachel (nee Barham).  Sadly Rosina died when a toddler and was buried on 29 January 1898 in Manor Park Cemetery, where so many of my London families are, including her parents and some of her siblings.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 May 13 11:04 BST (UK) »
On 5 May
Joseph Pemberton my 4 x g.g.uncle was born in Davenham, Cheshire in 1757

Elizabeth Charlotte Leighton my 1st cousin 3 times removed was baptised at St Botolph’s Church, Boston, Lincolnshire in 1838

Abigail Tubbs my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at All Saints Church, Holbeach, Lincolnshire in 1817

Agnes Smith my 6 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Mary’s Parish Church, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1706

Sarah Robinson my 4 x g.g.aunt died in Lincolnshire in 1779

Margaret Dameron (nee Felton) my 10 x g.grandmother was buried in Westerfield, Suffolk in 1600 aged 73.  Her death was particularly unfortunate for her grandchildren as in her husband’s Will he made her responsible for bringing up the children of thei daughter Joan (she being the one who was pronounced fatua et ideota since birth) and her husband John Collett.  Margaret was charged with ensuring that they had sufficient meat, drink, clothes and lodgings.  Her son in law died in March of the same year, so when she died the children were on their own.  Fortunately, the eldest who was 22 at the time had, when he was 21, inherited the Manor House where Margaret lived, so I imagine the younger children remained there, although the eldest son married and moved to Norwich for a while so, unlike many other orphans of the time I guess they weren’t destitute.

Thomas Dameron my 10 x g.g.uncle (and brother of Margaret Dameron above’s husband) was buried in Westerfield, Suffolk in 1544.   He was just over one year old.

Frances Chapman (nee Bell) my 5 x g.grandmother was buried at St Mary’s Church, Pinchbeck, Lincolnshire in 1796.  She was a widow aged 65 at the time of her death, however, I have yet to find my 5 x g.grandfather’s death.  As she was 28 when she married, and I couldn’t find a birth of a Frances Bell anywhere, I assumed that she had probably been married before and I found a Frances Allen who married a John Bell in 1756 when she was 25.  He was a widow with 2 children and he and Frances had a child a couple of years after their marriage, and then John Bell died.  So Frances was left with 2 stepsons, aged 3 and 4 and a baby daughter. She then married my 5 x g.grandfather and had another 8 children, the eldest being my 4 x g.grandmother.

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 May 13 13:01 BST (UK) »
On 5 May 1877 my 2nd cousin 2 x removed, Mary Conquest, was born in Vienna, Genesee, Michigan, USA. She was the daughter of John Conquest and Mary Elizabeth Barkley.  Tragically, she and her parents were murdered at their farm in Vienna on 10 October 1878.  I haven't been able to find out whether anyone was ever arrested for the crime.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Online tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 May 13 16:28 BST (UK) »

Hi

My grandfather Richard Samuel Liscoe was born this day 110 years ago.
 Born 5 th May 1903 to Richard Samuel Liscoe and his first wife Catherine. Baptised Bermondsey St James 24 May 1903. The oldest and only boy among 3 sisters. 2 other siblings died. Mum died in 1916 and his father spent time in hospital recovering from a gas attack in the trenches in France.
  He had a fantastic life living to the age of 94 , he was full of story's about his past and the things he used to get up to.
 Still makes me smile today.   Miss you grandad.... Cheers today

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 May 13 07:18 BST (UK) »
Mary Swain was born on this day in 1787 in Wellington, Somerset to John Swain and Mary Spicket Mary, she was baptised a few months later at the Presbyterian Independent Church there.

Somehow Mary ended up in NOrthants and married in 1812 George Wyman a wheelwright.
They had two boys and three girls. The two boys or should I say men emigrated to Adelaide.

Mary lived until after the 1851 Census (otherwise I would never know where she was born) and died in Nov 1851, George died a couple of years later in 1855

Mary was my 3 x great grandmother
And I never have been able to trace her parents back
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 May 13 14:24 BST (UK) »
On 6 May

In 1838 my 2 x great uncle, Alfred Sewell Wilson, was buried at St Giles in the Fields, London.  He was the son of Robert Wilson and Harriet Sewell, and sadly was only 9 months old.

My first cousin 2 x removed, John James George Hensman, died in 1902 in Uxbridge.  He was a publican at The Kings Arms in Uxbridge and must have been doing well, as he left £1400 to his wife in his will.  His mother was the unusually named Athalia Susan Conquest.

Last but not least, my dear son Brian is 41 today.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 11:24 BST (UK) »
On May 7th 1715 my 6xG grandfather Joseph Cudworth was born in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The family seem to have been big on biblical names, his twin brother was Benjamin and father Jeremiah.

On 7th May 1869 my great great grandparents James McBride and Mary Anne Clifford were married at the Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception in Bathgate. James was born in Stranraer in 1847 and baptized at St. Joseph's and Mary Anne was born in Edinburgh in 1850 and baptized at St. Mary's Cathedral. Their son George was my great grandfather and was still alive over 100 years after his parents marriage.

On 7th May 1945 my great grandmother Agnes Tweedie died in Armadale. The informant was my grandfather, who at the time was living in the house I was born in. Agnes had lived in the same village until her husband's death 3 years previously in the two storey house in the centre background of this photo. In fact she would have been living there when this was taken circa 1920's/30's. My grandparents married in the same house and my great grandfather died there. Alas the house is now just a bare patch of earth. I stood on it just last year and it was quite sad to look around and see a weed strewn plot that held so much of my family history.

SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 13:18 BST (UK) »
I have missed a few days but nothing of huge note so I'll start with yesterday, 6th may which was the fifth anniversary of my mother's death, aged eighty-three, in Redcar. A difficult woman, especially after my father's death when there was nobody left to calm her not inconsiderable temper and sharp tongue. But there are times when I still miss her and I wish she had known that my two daughters both have beautiful baby boys. Mum always wanted sons and we three daughters always knew it! She'd have adored my two little grandsons.

On May 7th 1923, my dad's sister, Kathlyn, was born in Aberdeen and in 2010, my beautiful great niece, Miranda, was born in Brighton. Happy birthday to her today. :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson