Author Topic: James Byres and Sarah Hannah (Hannay) or Byres, Kirkcolm, Wigtownshire  (Read 3391 times)

Offline tonybonsai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Byres and Sarah Hannah (Hannay) or Byres, Kirkcolm, Wigtownshire
« on: Thursday 25 September 14 20:51 BST (UK) »
Anyone have knowledge of or is connected to James Byres (or similar spelling) b Kirkcolm abt 1766 and his wife Sarah nee Hannah or Hannay. They had children Agnes b 1792, Janet b 1797 and George b 1798 - all at Kirkcolm. Suspect that George Byres became a gardener to trade and is person who died at Craigie, Ayrshire in 1862. Was there another sibling ie Helen Byres born late 1790's or early 1800's?. Did the entire family move from Kirkcolm to Ayrshire?

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Byres and Sarah Hannah (Hannay) or Byres, Kirkcolm, Wigtownshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 September 14 21:28 BST (UK) »
Have you downloaded the death certificate of George Byres from ScotlandsPeople? It should say who his parents were, providing the informant of the death knew.

The George Byres in the 1861 census at Craigie says he was born in Kirkcolm, so probably is the right one. His wife is Elizabeth and she was born in Mauchline. On FamilySearch there are two marriages of a George Byers to an Elizabeth: one for George Biars and Elizabeth Hillhouse in 1832 at Riccarton (which isn't far from Craigie) and one in 1832 to Elizabeth Hillus at Kilburnie. These are probably for the same marriage as they have the same date, so would be banns read in two parishes (and with spelling variations for the surnames). Have you looked at these OPR entries on ScotlandsPeople?

As for George's siblings, the best line of approach would be to look for marriages. Also, the death records on ScotlandsPeople for married woman are searchable by their maiden surname, so that would be worth of look.

AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline tonybonsai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Byres and Sarah Hannah (Hannay) or Byres, Kirkcolm, Wigtownshire
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 September 14 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi JM. Thanks for contact and advice. I am in a 'brick wall' situation. I have the death details for George Byres and also the info you quote re wife etc. My GG grandmother was one Helen Byres born abt 1800. In census records she claims birth in Kirkmichael and Girvan, Ayrshire. She never seems to have married my alleged GG grandfather ie one Alexander Collins. Helen Byres died in Ayr Poorhouse in 1876 and it is stated that her parents were - James Byres and Sarah Hannah. All very coincidental and the Kirkcolm family seem to be the only one that seems to fit the bill. BUT I would like to get some sort of confirmation and further info if possible. The fact that this George ended up in Ayrshire might suggest that the family did move northwards? George was a gardener and the Alexander Collins mentioned is also stated to be a gardener and later a factor. The plot thickens?