Author Topic: Margaret Roberts nee Jones or Davies  (Read 3005 times)

Offline djtreacle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Roberts nee Jones or Davies
« on: Sunday 27 October 13 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Dear All
I have a conundrum regarding my ancestor Margaret Roberts nee Jones or Davies.  She was born in Bedgellert in 1812.  This much I know from the Wales census' 1851 to 1911. For some reason the census return of 1871 states she was born in Eddia - Caernarvonshire (RG10/5679).  Others in the village are listed as coming from Eddia if they are from Caernarvonshire.  Yspytty Ifan is split between the boundaries of Eddia and Denbighshire so was wondering if this could be the reason that she has been untraceable in Bedgellert parish records.  I have scanned the records available for Bedgellert and nothing shows for this family.  I also think that she may have taken her mothers name under the patronymic system.  On the wedding entry in the parish records for MR and Owen Roberts, Yspytty Ifan St Johns 1842, her father is listed as John Davies but her name is given as Margaret Jones.  I have come to a shuddering halt with this for over a year.  I think Eddia is a red herring but was hoping that someone may have some information or tips in order that I could open up the research again with Margaret.  She seems like she was a true survivor widowed young, raising 7 children and a grandchild, farming and running a pub, I would like to know more about her.  She died on 12 April 1912.
Owen, Roberts: Yspytty Ifan
Wright; Clavering Essex
Watts, Barnes: Staines/Chertsey
Allen: Battersea
Nightingale: Battersea

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Roberts nee Jones or Davies
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 January 14 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Many changed their surname patronymically at marriage around this time in North Wales.  If the father's first name was "John" the son or daughter's surname was changed to "Jones" on the marriage certificate .   Have you been able to find your Margaret in the 1841 census with any of her family?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 January 14 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Is there a typo in your birth data?Looking at census information,did you mean 1822,in which case this could be her?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FMMF-15J

Regards
Roger

Offline djtreacle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 January 14 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Dear Both
This is looking very positive.  I did indeed make a typo on the original email, and have been looking on family search org for a Ms Margaret Jones/Davies 1822 for sometime but never turned up this record. Are these newly released records? anyway I am hopeful I can come up with something now.
With regards to the 1841 census never anything, however I didn't have much to go on.  It is odd that Margaret in Yspyty, as it is quite a distance, so I was checking farms in this area to see if she was a servant. As she was married in 1842 I thought that she may have moved alone earlier, due to the distance, before she met Owen Roberts. 
Although I realise it may not be the one, it is something I can at least research so many many thanks Lucinda
Wright; Clavering Essex

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 January 14 15:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure whether they are recently released or not.As you had difficulty finding anything,I suspected the record may be non-conformist.
This site is always useful for seeing what is available on FamilySearch-in this case I have copied the part containing Beddgelert.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyCaernarvon.htm#B

There are some parts of the 1841 census missing but I don't think this area is affected.Given her abode on the marriage certificate she is probably Margaret Jones at Blaenycoed,Yspytty Evan,Eidda(registration district Llanrwst Union) in the house of William Evans ref  HO 107  1395  7/3  1

Regards
Roger

Offline djtreacle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 January 14 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Dear Roger
Many thanks for your help.  I am having no luck finding a Margaret Davies on the 1841 census for Wales, however I do have a Margaret Jones in Yspyty village, Eddia side, as a servant at this time.  Its a long shot but it looks the best for the moment.  Cant find anything about Dorothy Jones either or Mr Davies in any census' 1841.  There is an entry on https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X1BN-Y4N for a son, however as this not at the Calvinistic Chapel I am not sure if it is a connection.  It could be that the chapel came into existence after 1814 however I'm not that far yet.
Oddly enough I had an essay to write about Calvinism for my history degree last month so know a little of this Methodist ideology.  My Welsh family is still religious, although I am a product of a "mixed marriage" line where the children were bought up alternatively Church in Wales or Chapel. :)  My Dad's father was a chapel child.
Thanks again for your help Lucinda
Wright; Clavering Essex