Author Topic: Roberts Family of Conway  (Read 6655 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts Family of Conway
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if I'm getting confused here,but doesn't the following record give the parentage of Gwen Williams(nee Edwards nee Roberts?) who are different to the parents of Grace Roberts of Tynllan?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XRL3-2X9

Regards
Roger

Offline Jwpines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all of your help. The issue I've had is that Wisconsin in the late 1800's is swimming in Welsh immigrants, due to both fertile farmland and lead mines, so I was thrilled to find Winnabell because she has an unusual name, a one and only for that period ( I miss typed in my untangle- she was in South Dakota in 1910, not 1880) It's also possible that Ellis Edwards is the son of a sister of either Gwen or Robert who immigrated with them, since they don't seem to apply the same rules that we would now- in the 1900 census where Annie returns to her parents' house, she is listed as "daughter" while her daughters are listed as "step-daughters" when they are actually grand daughters. In Grace's probate record it does also state that "There may be others [siblings] unknown to this executor." which lead me to believe that there were other siblings. I looked for Moses Roberts first, since he is listed in the will as a brother, and there were only two Moses Roberts in S Dak at that time with the right kind of birth dates, and only one tracked back to Wisconsin, and then I tracked back from Winnabell in 1910, once I knew there were Howells who were relatives, and found Gwen. Since I have now regarded many many permutations of Williams/Roberts/Jones/Evans on the Wisconsin census sheets, I'm pretty sure that almost any common first/last name combination will have several options to try and sort out.
Regards
Jennifer (in NY, trying to do this long distance)

Offline Jwpines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 04:08 GMT (UK) »
There is another Edwards connection - I believe that Moses Robert's wife, Winnie, is an Edwards

Regards

Jennifer

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 10:01 GMT (UK) »
There is a will for William Roberts of Ty'n llan, Dwygyfylchi, Caernarfon, Gent, dated 1809, in which he leaves his tenement and lands to his son, Robert, who is about the right age to be the father of Grace etc.

http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

David

Offline Jwpines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 16:57 GMT (UK) »
David if you are correct, I've found this Roberts Family in WI in 1850, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M4DX-KBD
The ages are not an exact match to the 1841 census, but pretty darn close and the order of children is correct. I think the Moris is a transcriber's mistake and that's Moses. I do have a 1905 South Dakota US head of household form where a Moses Robert says he immigrated in 1850.
Daughter Jane (Williams Singer) had already immigrated and was established in WI in 1850. Daughter Mary's obit says she arrived in US in 1850 also.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Again,apologies if I have the wrong person to initiate this sequence of events but it gives a completely different(and possibly unconnected?) Gwen Roberts associated with an Ellis Edwards.

It starts with a death record for Ellis Edwards

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XLXY-FGZ

This gives his father as Richard Edwards and mother as Winnie Williams(presumably her name at the time of his death rather than her maiden name).In turn this presumably is the Wena Williams from the 1850 census with Robert D Williams( note "D" not "L") which matches the marriage record of 1849 I quoted previously.

A possible marriage for Richard Edwards is to a Gwen Roberts in Llanycil,Bala registration district in 1842.There is a birth of an Ellis Edwards in 1846,Bala registration district and a Griffith and Gwen Roberts(parents as per 1849 marriage),also in Llanykil(sic) in the 1841 census at ref.
1841  HO107  1430  26/6  6.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 23:53 GMT (UK) »
There is an arrival record  of 1/6/1846 Liverpool to New York aboard "Waterloo"

Richard Edwards 35
Owen Edwards  25(given as male,but could this be Gwen mis-transcribed?)
Ellis Edwards  3 months

The Bala registered birth was 1st quarter 1846

Regards
Roger

Offline Jwpines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 November 13 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger,
 When I looked at the record for Ellis age 4 - it says Female, but that might be wrong.

I've got the link between Gwen and Moses established;
Gwen Roberts is listed as mother of the bride and Robert L Williams as Father in the marriage records of all three of their children, David, Annie and Jennie. Annie marries Griffith Howells. I've got the birth records for her daughters, Alma and Winnabell. Daughter Annie is back living in her parents' house with her daughters Winnabell and Alma after her husband dies, in 1900 census. Elis Edwards, M, age 54 born in Wales, is also listed living in the household of Robert L and Winnie Williams in 1900 when Annie and her daughters are there. In 1910 a Winnabell Howell, right age,  appears in the household of Moses Roberts as niece, though she would likely be a grand-niece. In 1920  she is in the household of her Aunt Jennie and Uncle Richard E Williams, and remains after their death living with her cousins Howard and Ruth and sister Alma until 1940 after which I cannot find a record. Some of the census records are pretty badly done. In the 1870 census Gwen becomes Ginna and Jennie becomes Jane  - and Ellis is listed as Ellis Williams.

Now here's a thought - the Wena Edwards, age 2 in 1850 in the record you found is the right age to be the wife of Moses Roberts, Winifred (variously Winnie, Winefred, Winnifred) Edwards b March 1848 Wisconsin, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XRLS-YSV : accessed 06 Nov 2013

Regards

Jennifer

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 November 13 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes,that looks good.Doesn't it all also mean that Grace did not have a sister Gwen but the family connection is possibly  through the daughter of a Gwen Roberts from Bala?

Regards
Roger