Author Topic: Hodds Brown's  (Read 3071 times)

Offline task1

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hodds Brown's
« on: Wednesday 14 March 07 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I've come across a Richard Hodds Brown, born 1814, married Sarah Wright 1837. He was a beachman and I believe he died in the 1901 Beauchamp disaster.

I'm looking for help in connecting him with other earlier, and later, members of my family.

I do know Richard and Sarah had a son James who became a Station Master on the railways. He married Susan Sophia Hannaford from Totness, Devon and one of their children, Sidney Edward, was my grandfather.

Having read various publications on Beachmen of Norfolk I'm lead to believe most of the Brown's came from California and Winterton to Caister, where they married into, and from, the Haylett's, Hodds and many other families employed in similar work, and took pride in following in the footsteps of their forebears.

It would be wonderful if I could prove the ancestry between my James Brown, through Richard Hodds Brown to Solomon Brown, who I expect was Richard's Grandfather or maybe great uncle.

Anyone know anything of this connection or has already studdied this lineage??

Cheers,
Keith

Offline Elleray Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alice Gornall (1909 - 1973)
    • View Profile
Re: Hodds Brown's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Keith,

There is a death registered for Richard Hodds Brown in Sept Quarter 1878, Yarmouth Vol 4b Page 11. Age at death 64.

On the IGI website the following baptism is recorded from an Ancestral File - so you would need to check the Parish Registers to confirm:

Richard Brown
Birth 28 April 1810
Baptism 30 April 1810, Winterton, Norfolk

Parents William Brown and Martha Hodds

There are 3 further siblings for Richard and the details are given for Marthas parents - sadly nothing for William.

I hope this little bit of information helps  :)

Karen

Elleray (Cumberland), Wren (Keswick), Parker (L'Pool and Cheshire), Bray (Cheshire), Gornall (Lancashire), Smithies (L'Pool), Rainford (West Kirby), Pinches (Shropshire and Wirral), Wilson, Walton and Merrick (Haddenham, Bucks)

Offline task1

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Karen,

It all seems a bit odd to me, as Richard is supposed to have drowned during a rescue attempt in 1901 as a member of the Caister beachmen's lifeboat.

Perhaps all will become clearer when I visit Caister later this month to see the last surving (supposed) relative of that branch of the Brown family.

Your info does fit perfectly though, so I shal go with an open mind.

Many thanks again,
Keith

Offline keithb694

• RootsChat Extra
  • Peaks And Dales Tent Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 August 14 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

I'm a direct descendant of Richard Hodds Brown, through his son James (1846 -1898), his son Sidney Edward (1883 - 19620) and his son, Sidney Edward James (1919 - 1993) who was my father. I am Cedric Keith Brown (1949 - ). I have several family trees, but the most comprehensive one is on 'The Genealogist'.
Please get in touch if you would like more details or access to my tree.

Cheers
Cedric (Keith)
Brown, Haylett, Hodds, Hannaford, Mott, Dyball, etc

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Cedric,

I am very sorry but we have been unable to contact Keith as his email address is no longer working. I have done a little search but have not been able to locate him.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk