Author Topic: Daniel Bell supposedly born 1821 Kilmichael, Glassary  (Read 10106 times)

Offline Foz405

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • You can't fight City Hall
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Bell supposedly born 1821 Kilmichael, Glassary
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Is this is the Daniel Bell in the 1856 Vic electoral roll for Normanby? ... it lists Daniel Bell as a sawyer, of Sevenmile bridge, Bolwarra - I see from Google Maps that Bolwarra is part to Portland, Vic.

Regards
Ivan King, of Kiama Downs, NSW

Well, it is probable that this is the Daniel Bell in the 1856 electoral roll for Normanby.  I do know that Daniel (Donald as we now know) was discharged from the Vic Mounted Police in March 1854 (as gazetted in Melb).  Rumour has it that he injured himself after falling from a horse.
As John Smith Bell's birth was registered in the district of Normanby when he was a mounted policeman it is likely that these are one and the same.  If you have any further information on what happened to the Bells from 1856, especially the next thirty years, I'd be grateful.  The next piece of information I have is when John Smith married Annie Jane McVey in Sydney (710/1887).
Daniel died in 1893 in St Kilda [reg 1893/3916].  As the parents are listed as unknown, he probably outlived his wife, Elizabeth and was estranged from the children.

regards
Grahame
Bell; Vane; Wane; Reeve & Reeves.

Offline hazz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 December 11 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I read the posts with great interest. My great-great-great grandparents are Daniel Bell and Elizabeth Shand, and I think that I can help. Daniel spent the last 30 years of his life in the Kew Asylum where he died. Some of his family were embarrassed, and one or two of his daughters recorded him as dead on their marriage certificates when indeed he was alive and in the asylum. His wife Elizabeth and daughter Jessie Annie kept visiting him though. Daniel died there in 1895, and Elizabeth two years later. Daniel's family and friends tried to keep him out of the asylum, but it just didn't work. On one occasion at home, Daniel tried to kill himself in the middle of the night, but Alexander Barclay from the Barclay Mill where he was employed, was staying at the house to help look after him, and saved his life by grabbing the barrel of the gun which discharged into Alexander's hand. Alexander Barclay married Daniel's daughter Jessie Annie Bell two years later, and they became my great-great grandparents.

Please let me know how I can help. I think I have plenty more to tell. I am also very interested to know what you have found out about the Shand family. I look forward to hearing from all my newly found relatives!

Offline hazz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 December 11 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Post 2

Offline hazz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 December 11 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Post 3 - now please send me a PM as I am happy to start emailing if you want.

Offline Foz405

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 September 14 14:07 BST (UK) »
Ivan, thanks.  After contacting Hazz I have managed to get a great deal of material about the Bell family, and have traced the line back to Archibald Bell & Katharine Black b. circa 1740.  They came from Kilmodan Parish, Argyll.
If anyone has any more details of the Bells of Argyll and Kilmichael, Kilchrenan Parishes I'd be most grateful.  Monica was a great help.
Grahame  (Sept 2014)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 September 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
Grahame, you are back  :) Hope all well  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Foz405

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 September 14 12:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Monica
Yes, all's well (now) after coronary by-pass surgery in April and a further health scare last month (which was a false alarm).  I'm off to Scotland next year in May on the holiday that has been rescheduled from May this year.  I'll be driving around the old Bell stamping grounds of Kilmichael, Kilmartin and through Argyll for a couple of weeks.  The family history book has come back from the printer, and I'm now binding a limited number of copies.  It will bear an ISBN and have the usual legal deposit, but I can see this being a very limited edition as many of the relatives have no interest whatsoever.  C'est le vie.
I was hoping to find out a little more on the Bells of Argyll, and the Smiths of Fordoun, but if I do, it will for another edition or supplement.
Hope you've been well.
Grahame

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 September 14 18:11 BST (UK) »
Genealogy is always a labour of love  ::)

Really good to hear that you feel better and all health stuff behind you  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk