Author Topic: Hyman, Hayman or Hyndman Islay  (Read 2582 times)

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hyman, Hayman or Hyndman Islay
« on: Friday 27 June 14 21:18 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandmother is a bit of a mystery, I have been provided with research from Islay which would indicate she was registered as Sarah Colins on the 1841 Census aged 14 in Kilchoman and Sarah McEwen on the 1861 Census aged 32 in Kilarrow and on her marriage certificate Sarah McEwen Campbell in Glasgow The research stems from the fact that on both her marriage and death certificates her mother is recorded as Barbara Hyman and father Hugh McEwen Campbell, soldier. Sarah McEwen had a son James McEwen in1861 and the address ties up with the address on the 1861 census and so I accept that the census record must be correct

In 1868 she is recorded as 26 on her marriage to William Lang, 1871 she is 20, 1881 she is 46, 1891 she is 50, and at her death in 1899 she is 57 (if the first records were correct she would have actually been around 73!! 

Whilst her age’s are a mystery I have been advised that there was no Hugh McEwen Campbell on Islay but there was a Hugh McEwen in the 42nd Highlanders who could have been her father. I am a bit bemused as to where the surnames ‘Colin’s’ and ‘Campbell’ will have come from and why none of them would have been Hyman after her mother. Her mother died at Kilarrow in1869 and I wondered if there would be any other records with information on mother and daughter that would solve some of these issues or whether my only hope is Kirk Session records in Edinburgh? Thanks for any advice.
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hyman, Hayman or Hyndman Islay
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 June 14 09:09 BST (UK) »

Hi Brussells, no wonder you're confused! I wish I could help, but the only thing I can suggest is to take nothing on face value. ie: "there were no Hugh McKewn Campbells " on Islay. Don't forget our relatives traveled much greater distances than we'd suspect, and just because he's left no written proof he was there, doesn't mean he wasn't. On the other hand, Sarah's mother might have met him somewhere else.

I think the Army rolls are the only place to start, if you can whittle down a time period for Sarah's birth, as her father's name seems to be correct according to your certificates.

Very best luck, Billiegirl   :)

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your comments Billiegirl I think that the information I have is probably the best I am going to find.
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline Billiegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 01:01 BST (UK) »

Yes, I've hit a brick wall with my Argyll Campbells too - but we live in hope!  ::)