Author Topic: Breich Inns West Lothian How do I date the building?  (Read 9279 times)

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Breich Inns West Lothian How do I date the building?
« on: Wednesday 13 February 13 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find out the history of Breich Inns or The Breich Inns. I would like to find out when it was built.  My grandfather James Hamilton bought the building in the 1920's or perhaps earlier.  I would like to know when he bought it.  I have tried the valuation rolls on Scotlands People and I do not know where to go from there. 
Prior to 1975 Breich Inns was in Midlothian/Edinburghshire then in West Lothian/Linlithgowshire.  In the 1901 census he was aged 17 and lived in Breich Inns with his parents and family. The address for them is given as 3 Ayr Road with other famillies resident in the property of Breich Inns at 1 Ayr Road and 2Ayr Road etc. Shown as  Hamlet of Breich inns. Civil Parish is West Calder and Parish Ward Addiewell. In the earlier census the Hamilton family did not live at Breich Inns.   (Breich Inns is about 4 miles from West Calder)  My grandfather bought it from James Thornton the previous owner.   Any advice, suggestions much appreciated.  Thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Breich Inns West Lothian How do I date the building?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 22:17 GMT (UK) »
If he bought the buildings, there should be a record of the change of ownership in the Register of Sasines in the National Archives of Scotland www.nas.gov.uk. You wouldn't need to see the whole document - there should be enough detail in the Abridgment. Calendars of abridgments were published annually, so it means going through them one after the other until you find the transaction. The West Lothian heritage centre or West Lothian archives in Linlithgow may have copies of the calendars and if so might be willing to look them up for you. Otherwise it's a case of hiring a searcher if you can't get to Edinburgh or Linlithgow yourself.

As for the age of the building, you need to find an old photograph of the building. The style of the building will give an indication of its age. Again, the Heritage Centre is probably the best place to start.

Breich Inn is marked and named on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey six-inch map, published in 1854. See http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch/view/?sid=74426709#zoom=6&lat=8000&lon=34672&layers=BT
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 13 11:20 GMT (UK) »
 :)  Hi Forfarian    Thank you very much for that information.  The map is great and very clear and confirms the building was there in 1854.  I have old photographs of the building. The story goes that it was  a coaching inn at one time I guess being on the Edinburgh to Ayr road.  It started off as two houses joined together by a single storey building used as stables.  My grandfather built another floor in the middle to make it one full building  of 5 houses.  There is a possibility that it may have been built between 1832 1852 - not sure about that. Not sure when, probably the fifties it was  sold and later became a hotel.  It was knocked down in the last few years.  I will now investigate the Register of Sasines and hope to have some more information.  Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 February 13 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Using the street address of Breich Inn on the 1851 Census transcription for West Calder returns results for 30 people(freeCEN).
Can't easily see anything in 1841.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 February 13 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev  Thanks for that.  In the 1901 census the family were at Breich Inns but not in the 1891 census, but lived about 1 mile away.  Very interesting to check out who lived there in the 1851 census so I will go and do that now.

Have been on the Record of Sasines  have found lots of interesting things but so far no mention of Breich Inn plenty of other inns and a few mentions of Breich re land and mining.
Thank you both for help.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 February 13 18:55 GMT (UK) »
:)  Hi Forfarian    Thank you very much for that information.  The map is great and very clear and confirms the building was there in 1854.  I have old photographs of the building. The story goes that it was  a coaching inn at one time I guess being on the Edinburgh to Ayr road.  It started off as two houses joined together by a single storey building used as stables.  My grandfather built another floor in the middle to make it one full building  of 5 houses.  There is a possibility that it may have been built between 1832 1852 - not sure about that. Not sure when, probably the fifties it was  sold and later became a hotel.  It was knocked down in the last few years.  I will now investigate the Register of Sasines and hope to have some more information.  Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

You say the Breich Inns have been knocked down, it was still standing the last time I passed and that is not years ago, if need be I will go again.

James,

Offline Canisp

• RootsChat Member
  • Annie Ellis Turnbull (nee Walker) 1898-2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 February 13 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Breich Inns is no longer there. I think it was destroyed by fire about 3 or 4 years ago.
Paterson (Edinburgh before1840), Smith (Cambusnethan before 1861), Johnstone (Peeblesshire before 1800), Brown (Carnwath before 1825)
Turnbull, Hume, Whitecross, Aitchison (all East Lothian)
Walker (Bathgate before 1850), Lawson (Edinburgh before 1868), Ellis (Biggar, Cambusnethan and West Calder), Jamieson (Biggar before 1800), Cree (Biggar before 1800)
McConnell (Kirkcudbrightshire before 1854)

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 February 13 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Breich Inns was knocked down a few years ago.  I can't remember exactly how many years but it is a few anyway.  I would be guessing at 4 or 5 maybe. It was destroyed by fire then demolished.  I believe it was no longer running as a business at the time. I saw the building after the fire and then later the empty site. The site has been up for sale for a long time now.

Thanks again for any input.

Offline Mr.S.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 April 13 14:35 BST (UK) »
Took photos before it was demolished.Distant relative of my father in law was the publican in 1960s.