Author Topic: why would you want a black sheep?  (Read 13398 times)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: why would you want a black sheep?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 16:59 BST (UK) »
I have a large wooden sheep with a thick black coat to commemorate all those wonderful, colourful characters! And agree with everyone else, we all need black sheep!

stormtroop

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 17:19 BST (UK) »
I have a large wooden sheep with a thick black coat to commemorate all those wonderful, colourful characters! And agree with everyone else, we all need black sheep!

;D Oh that is brilliant!, I mean lateral thinking wit, love it. Can not think what I should get??. I have not finished my researches yet.  I do have a piece of iron made into a Thors hammer pendant which I got from Norway, about four of my ancestors were Blacksmiths, oddly enough when I bought it a few years ago, I never knew this.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 18:29 BST (UK) »
stormtroop that must be beautiful! What a lovely thing to have.

stormtroop

« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 19:11 BST (UK) »
stormtroop that must be beautiful! What a lovely thing to have.

It is made of one piece of unpolished rough iron , so it is very artisan looking, did you know iron keep away evil, yeah!

stormtroop

« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 19:18 BST (UK) »
Mind , talking of black sheep, there is one type I am not sure you would like to have?, you would want to lock your bedroom door and eat out if they were around and that is the females who according to the  female presenter of one programme said of them " they took their secrets to the grave with them".
This was a number of wives and mothers who used arsenic to rid themselves of " troublesome" children and husbands , as arsenic was freely available and mimicked a few diseases at the time doctors, who were none too bothered about how the poor died to be honest, just diagnosed a common illness.   The programme was on some time ago and I forget what it was called , but it was very! interesting and in the early years of the 19th century ,  there was a bit of domestic poisoning about, quite a few of these women just did not get caught and they did take their dark secrets to the grave with them , in later years it became easier to catch them. 

Black indeed , sometimes a little too dark.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 19:20 BST (UK) »
Properly known as Mjöllnir, Thor's Hammer is worn as a pendant by German Neopagan faiths.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

stormtroop

« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 19:35 BST (UK) »
Properly known as Mjöllnir, Thor's Hammer is worn as a pendant by German Neopagan faiths.

I wore it because it just looked good, not a fan of hammers mind, I prefer a good set of screwdrivers meself  ;D

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hope it keeps you well protected!  Doubt my sheep would look as good around my neck. lol. There are various types of black sheep but that depends on the views of an individual of course.

stormtroop

« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hope it keeps you well protected!  Doubt my sheep would look as good around my neck. lol. There are various types of black sheep but that depends on the views of an individual of course.

You could find yourself a   cute little black sheep pendant??