Author Topic: 16th Light Dragoons  (Read 892 times)

Offline CircuitW1zard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
16th Light Dragoons
« on: Wednesday 23 April 14 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have an ancestor (Charles Fisher - Watchmaker) born 1775/6 who was in the above. I have located his Chelsea Pensioner discharge document but wondered if anyone knows if a document should exist for him going into the army?

Regards,

Rob Fisher

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: 16th Light Dragoons
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 13:16 BST (UK) »
Attestation document, I presume they are at Kew. If there, you know the Regiment, so should have no problem. As he went to pension and was a Chelsea Pensioner he should have a personal service record also.

Attestation would be by an NCO, named, date of attestation, place of birth, age, occupation, height, complexion, eyes colour, hair colour, face shape.

Personal records were detailed.

The Regiment was in the Low Countries 1793-1796 (French Revolutionary War), 1809-1814 Spain and France, also at Waterloo 1815.

The official title at this period was 16th (The Queens) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons.

Roger   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline CircuitW1zard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger.

Looks like I may have to make my first visit to Kew. Is it difficult once there to find the documents?

Regards,

Rob

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Rob,

My researches there were not of the records you need. The system and the Staff are very helpful. I don't know where you live but if far away, it would be best to contact them first. Your ace card is you know the Regiment, the records you need are sorted first by regiment, then by individual. No doubt they have a website and contact details. They might do it for you, but it will cost.

Best Wishes,

Roger 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 13:59 BST (UK) »
There are no individual documents from this period in Kew. The PRO/National Archives put them on microfilm about 15/20 years ago. The Friends indexed the microfilms for men discharged to pension up to1854. These indexes are still on the NA Catalogue. Findmypast were given access to the originals. These had come from Chelsea Hospital who managed the pensions. Kew took away the microfilms about four years ago once FindMyPast had them online.

Less than say 10% include the Attestation Forms. The rest just include what you have - the Discharge Form.

Ken

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 14:12 BST (UK) »
Ah, the curse of privatisation Ken. Hopefully, Rob might find what he's looking for via the Links you provided. Again at a price. I have found personal service and attestation records on the net. My GGGrandfather became of military age in 1808/09 (you had to belong to something if fit), so I was looking for him (unsuccessfully). Attestation papers may be found in County Record offices.

Roger

Offline CircuitW1zard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the responses all.

He joined the dragoons in 1793 and was there until 1800 when he was discharged with bad health.

I still might head to the records office as it'll be a new experience for me.

I have the Chelsea Pensioner discharge form from findmypast

Just finding it difficult to track down exactly where he was born and his parents so thought this would be a good lead.

Thanks,

Rob

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 15:34 BST (UK) »
Do you know what County your family lived in then. As I said attestation forms can be found in County Records. So, he was in just the Low Countries campaign possibly. The 'Allies' lost. The future Duke of Wellington was colonel of the 33rd Regiment. There, he learned 'what not to do'.

Kew is a delightful place to visit, got a nice cafe too.

Roger 

Offline CircuitW1zard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 15:37 BST (UK) »
On his discharge form it states that he was born in the Parish of St Mary in or near Coventry.

So I'm assuming it's Warwickshire. There are multiple St Mary's churches in the Coventry area and as yet I haven't found a record. It doesn't help that a lot of Coventry records are now lost due to flood and fire years ago.

I found a nice book online that documents exactly where the Regiment were on a year by year basis. Very informative.

Rob