Author Topic: Metropolitan Asylum Northern Hospital. Completed.  (Read 4164 times)

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Metropolitan Asylum Northern Hospital. Completed.
« on: Thursday 24 April 08 07:48 BST (UK) »
1901. I think the Samuel Cullen, a patient at the Hospital, born about 1895 may have been my uncle.

I have his Death Memorial Card, giving his age in 1953 as 57, but have been unable to find his birth. He wasn't living with his parents in 1901. They were in London having married in Brussels in 1894.

Could anyone tell me if the MANH, Winchmore Hill St Paul, records are available for that period?

Thank you.

RBC

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Asylum Northern Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 April 08 11:16 BST (UK) »
According to their online catalogue (which is not complete) the nearest match is

LONDON BOROUGH OF ISLINGTON 1899 - 1911 X111/074 
ISLINGTON BOARD OF GUARDIANS: Workhouses and institutions
Metropolitan Asylums Board Hospitals: Admission and Discharge Register

but it doesn't specify 'Northern Hospital'

I'm at the LMA tomorrow, I'll check out their paper catalogues and let you know. I won't have time for the actual name look-up tomorrow though. If it is the right register I'll have to put you 'on file' for another visit unless you are planning to make the trip yourself.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 April 08 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

Thank you very much for your offer. I haven't managed a trip to the LMA yet, I hope to do so sometime in the future.

I found some information about The Northern Convalescent Fever Hospital, Winchmore Hill. Enfield. It says it was one of two such Hospital sites to be established by the Metropolitan Asylums Board. I don't know if that information would be helpful.

My uncle's name was Samuel George Cullen. His parent's were George and Elizabeth Cullen. Elizabeth's maiden name was Bissell. There was also a Samuel Edward Cullen born in London in 1894.

I have booked a trip to Kew Gardens in August, I hope I will be able to visit the National Archives instead of the Gardens!!

Do Kew have originals or copies of everything that is available elsewhere?

Best wishes.

RBC

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 April 08 15:52 BST (UK) »
I have booked a trip to Kew Gardens in August, I hope I will be able to visit the National Archives instead of the Gardens!!

it's a bit of a walk but manageable, but the gardens are lovely.

Do Kew have originals or copies of everything that is available elsewhere?

It depends what you're looking for, their online catalogue is fairly comprehensive so you should find out in advance of a trip what you need to be ordering up.

If the 'originals' of what you're after take up a lot of space or are fragile you may only get access to microfilmed copies.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

I am just checking some of my posts. Thank you for your reply. I hope you are still enjoying your Course.

RBC

Offline clevercarol

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Asylum Northern Hospital. Completed.
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 February 09 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi am new to this site came via a link about the winchmore hill hospital just wondered if you got any results on your relative because according to 1901 census my grandmother age 10 was also in thereand i just wanted to know if there is anywhere you can view records for the hospital at that time cheers grateful for any help!!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 February 09 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi clevercarol

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Your best bet would be to send an enquiry to the London Metropolitan Archives enquiries team.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/About_LMA/

They will be able to tell you exactly what they hold and whether the records are on open access, many are closed under 'a 100 year' rule based on the last entry in the boooks not the date you are enquring about.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 October 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
Appreciate this is a very old post. The Northern Hospital ,Worlds End Lane ,Winchmore Hill was originally an isolation hospital for ill ness such as TB , scarlet fever,diphtheria etc. It had many long term patients who were admitted in the ‘20s when children but were still there in the’70s. They suffered from the results of a disease called “Sleeping Sickness” which was an epidemic in the ‘20s.  My late Mother went to work there in 1941 having been bombed out of a London hospital. She was a nursing sister until her retirement in 1978. My late Father started work in the offices around 1938. He had a break whilst in the Navy during WW11 but returned in 1945 to work in Highlands as it was now known. He retired having become the hospitals manager. Highlands was our life. We played there as children, attended parties, were friendly with the PEL patients ( those who lived there),knew the doctors and nurses. It operated very much as a family which cared for all its workers and patients trying hard to do the best for all.
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork